Thank you!

Thank you!

This is a discussion on Thank you! within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Over the last year I had decided to correct a deficit in my education. I grew up an Army brat but was never able to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you!

Thank you!

Over the last year I had decided to correct a deficit in my education. I grew up an Army brat but was never able to truly have firearm instructions while growing up (Overseas). I learned all the basic tenants and mantras of safe gun use but very little practical instruction. When the opportunity came for practical instruction all of my father's firearms had been taken by a family member and sold to a pawn shop.

Fast forward a few years and I find myself working as a paramedic with a much more tenured partner whom I regard with the utmost respect and would easily be given the title "sheepdog."

As the nature of the business, I have been witness to some utterly evil and heinous acts. After the calls and we return to our street corners our conversations would turn back and discuss the events. More importantly we would discuss how they could and should have turned out.

After some very deep discussions my partner suggested that I have some decisions to make and some reading to do....

Turns out that my father-in-law is a NRA instructor whom was more that a little saddened that none of his children took to his passion of firearms. Let me tell you that there is no words to describe the events that unfolded when I sat down with him and asked him to define what a "caliber" is and the differences between them.

Thus begins a 8 month trial of range time, rentals, private instruction, reloading lessons. Instruction went so well that come Elk season I found myself with a 1903A3 across my back, S&W .357 under my left arm and a K-Bar on my right hip. Man I loved being alone in the woods armed to teeth and feeling pretty comfortable. Yup all went well till I was following some fresh Elk track when I came across some very un-elk tracks with warm feces. Tracks had these large claw marks and they were accompanied by a large "rustling" coming from the brush up ahead. But that's another story.

Hunt went fine, comfort and skills with firearms continued to increase. There was still more to do. I needed to find info on CC. Some time on Google led me straight here.

After some extensive reading and lingo learning, I went about to several family members all with extensive prior service and asked their opinions on sidearms. After several such conversations I learned that their was only one style of pistol that would suffice.

Made the purchase a few months back and introduced her to my partner. Partner (also with a very extensive military background) takes her gently into his hands and with a tear in his eye tells me I made a fine choice....

So forearmed with knowledge my CC class proceeds very smoothly. Reading all the posts about the arduous wait that I was about to endure, I again turned to you fine folks for discussions on holsters. Based on the rave reviews I ordered a Cross breed. I thought I timed it well enough that license and holster would arrive close to the same time. That plan failed when my Crossbreed hit my mail box in 12 days. So I got some practice time around the house with pistol and holster. After the break in of the holster I know I made the right choice when I can't feel it and my wife can't see it and she's looking right at it!

License came last week and since then haven't left the house unarmed (except for work due to the place and facilities I may have to enter) No WW walk for me though. Did go to Costco for some fun Friday adventure. I don't think that their is a condition color code for the state that some folks live in.....

So to sum up a lengthy first post, THANK YOU! This is a truly great community that I am very happy to be a part of. I doubt that that I could have progressed as rapidly as I did without the collected knowledge contained within this forum. Places like this do make a difference and have an influence on those trying to look in.

Special thanks to Limatunes. My wife never took me for a "gun" guy and never pressed the issue with me. Thanks to Lima my wife is at the range right now. She doubted that she could pull it off but with some picture and video help she's giving it a go.

Oh yah pics.

tmpphpOBwFoB.jpg
    This is my pistol, there are many like it but this one is special, this one is mine....

VIP Member
    Welcome from Middle Tennessee, and be certain to post a hello in the new member section as well!

I'm glad you have had a great experience thus far. Stay safe!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Welcome, hello, and congrats! :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Welcome, hello, and congrats! :)
    Like Bunny said!!!!

BTW, one hell of a first post. Long, but not long winded.

Welcome Brother!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Welcome from a former Paramedic in East Tennessee!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

If you broke that post up into paragraphs at a time you could already have like 200 posts,LOL.Welcome to the forum and stay safe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Thanks for the story. Is there really no way that you can carry on the job? It sounds like you work all day in potentially dangerous situations. Perhaps a pocket gun?

People at Costco are mainly concerned with hoisting jumbo sized packages of groceries over the gunwales of their shopping boats.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Great story, nice choice of weapon.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome and congrats!

Welcome from South Carolina..
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Welcome from Kentucky!

Welcome and Congrats..by the way nice gun!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Welcome from NC! Great story and like you, this forum has become my absolute favorite. Congrats to your wife as well! The challenges of carrying for a woman were also made easier for me thanks to Lima. If I lived close to her, I would sneakily raid her closet for cover garments. Stay supportive of the wife, continue to encourage her to read, read, read and she will be carrying daily and outshooting you in no time!

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Welcome to the board!

Welcome.

If you haven't already done so I suggest you read Massad Ayoob's, "In The Gravest Extreme."

Take care and stay safe,

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; August 11th, 2009 at 06:08 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links