A little sad today....

A little sad today....

This is a discussion on A little sad today.... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not sure if this is the place to put this but here goes. today marks the second aniversary of my Dad's unexpected passing, he was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little sad today....

A little sad today....

Not sure if this is the place to put this but here goes. today marks the second aniversary of my Dad's unexpected passing, he was 58, would have been 60 on July 17th this year. I am turning 42 in September. I never got to say goodbye to him, I was out of town the week before for my Neice-in-laws wedding and returned the day he was having surgery on his rotater cuff. The following day he was discharged went home, went to sleep and never woke up. I miss him almost everyday, and am having to fight back tears now so I can type. My love of firearms comes from my Dad, we use to shoot together alot, and loved discussing new technology. My S&W M66 was one of his, he gave it to me two years before he passed, it is one of my favorite firearms, and I feel like he is with me when I carry it or shoot it. Sorry if I am rambling, I debated posting this, as I am not one to look for sympathy, however, in the short time I have been on this forum I have seen what a caring group many of you can be. Anyway I guess I will stop here, God Bless.

Administrator
    Moved to Bob & Terry's Place.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Moved to Bob & Terry's Place.
    Thanks, wasn't sure where to put this.

My heart knows your sadness.

Not to hijack your thread; but in commiseration;
    I lost my Dad, (my best friend other than my wife) on Dec, 29, 2001. He was 62. WAY too early.
    I also did not get to say good-bye.
    He was in West Virginia visiting his second wife's family for Christmas. He was getting ready to go in the morning, and had a sudden heart attack. He never regained consciousness. I had talked to him on Christmas Eve, and thought I would see him in less than a week. It was not to be.

He was born in Idaho, although the family is from Michigan's U.P., moved to Alaska at 8 years old with his Dad & Grandparents, and lived there until he was 19, went in the Air Force, and back to Michigan.

My love of firearms, as so many of us, came from him as well.
    He also gave me my first handgun. A S&W Mod. 10. .38 spl.
    I still have it too! Don't shoot it much though.

Take care my friend.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Administrator
    No Problem.
    Stay Strong.
    Your Dad would want you to remember all of those good and happy times.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Thanks, wasn't sure where to put this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    shooterx don't consider it asking for sympathy. Sometimes you just need to vent and talk to folks with a like mind. Most of us have been where you are. Those who haven't will be in the future. We are here to listen and offer a shoulder when possible. Time will help in easing the pain. The pain is an indication of how much they were loved and how much they mean to us. We are here to help even when the subject is other than guns. Take care of yourself. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Shooter, I lost my mother when she was 58 and I know what it's like to not to get to say goodbye. She was the rock of the family and I could tell her anything. That was twenty years ago this October, and it seems like yesterday.

The only wisdom I can offer you is to live your life as the person your dad would have been proud of. I'm sure you already are so that's the easy part. Hold onto the memories because time will try to erase them, share them with your family and friends and through that your father still lives.

Remember his body is at rest but a soul departed in the lord never dies, it returns to him where it will live in everlasting peace. He is just awaiting your reunion with him and all your loved ones.

Take care and God Bless
    rk
    Last edited by rottkeeper; August 21st, 2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: changed wording
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    ShooterX, I know it's difficult not having the chance to say goodbye. It seems unfair, because I think it is. Yet I've seen it happen a lot.

What we can do (and you probably already are) is realize the same thing can happen to others in our lives, so we can try to treat them as if each time will be the last time we will see them. One of these days it will be the last time we'll see them, one way or another.

When my wife is cantankerous and needs a boot, I try to treat her better than she deserves because we never know when others will be taken from us. I don't want my last memory to be of telling her to "shove it" or some other angry comment.

I understand how the anniversary is a sad time. It was and is the same for my dad concerning his dad's passing. No doubt it'll be the same for me.

Life isn't fair, and life hurts sometimes. A lot.

hbc
    ShooterX, I'm sorry to hear of your pain. I hope you can take some comfort in the fact that you'll see your Dad again someday - at least that's my belief - and he'll welcome you "home."

I know that pain...it is a sad memory.
    Sometimes the tears can flow with just a thought.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I guess I was lucky as my father had a heart attack back in Ill and I was in Texas. He survived and I was able to go see him the next summer. We got to have a nice long talk and he knew that his time was limited. He was the one that got me interested in shooting and my one big sorrow was that he offered me his reloading supplies and I told him that I doubted I would ever use it, I think that hurt his feelings and for that I am very sorry. It was true at the time but in the last few months I have spent a bunch of money replacing that which he would have given me for free and felt good doing it. One of those things that you wish you could do over. I did get to spend some very quality time with him and we talked on the phone almost every week for the rest of his life and for that I am thankful. I do think about him a lot as I shoot and reload. He died in 1984. Thanks for all you taught me dad. I know what you are feeling Shooter even if my loss was so long ago.
    Last edited by faif2d; August 21st, 2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Got wraped up in my story and did not tell Shooter I feel for her

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    *hugs* Shooter.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I lost my dad when he was the ripe old age of 83. I was able to hold his hand as he passed on and my other 3 brothers were standing around his bed. I actually felt some relief as he was suffering and had lived a full life.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

shooterX:

My heart goes out to you. Bless you. My Dad died in 2004, and I still miss him. He was 74, but I still miss him. Can you tell, I still miss him. You are never ready for it. I can remember every detail down to the minutiae, which really does not matter.

You are in my thoughts, and you made me take a step back too. It'll all be OK.

Remember, you'll be that same memory someday. Prepare them for that day.

Hugs to ya!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links