Lost a Canine Friend of 7 Years...

This is a discussion on Lost a Canine Friend of 7 Years... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today was an awful day for me and the wife. Our Rhodesian Ridgeback, Grady, was a faithful friend for the last seven years. We recently ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lost a Canine Friend of 7 Years...

Today was an awful day for me and the wife. Our Rhodesian Ridgeback, Grady, was a faithful friend for the last seven years. We recently purchased an Irish Wolfhound pup so he would have a canine friend to share his day.
    Well, we've had the IW pup for about five weeks now, but about two months ago we noticed Grady acting a bit strange in his memory of things, his balance, and over the last couple of weeks (with three vet visits) he completely fell apart.
    The vet was fairly certain of some sort of growth in the brain. He could not hold his head up straight, the facial muscles started sagging, he would get lost in the house, and he lost his appetite.
    For the last week, Grady would only lay and sleep...never got up...ignored any treats whatsoever.
    The new IW pup stayed by his side these last 3 days. This afternoon we took him to the vet and she 'put him to rest'. Those of you with canine friends know how difficult that can be.
    We will certainly miss and never forget the friend who gave us laughs, friendship, protection, and seven years of great memories.
    Today was a tough day!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

RMS
    Sorry for your loss.

VIP Member
    Very sorry for your loss.

We are involved in rescue and have ended up keeping quite a few over the years. We have also lost quite a few over the years.

May the following bring you some solace.............

The Rainbow Bridge

I know what you are going through brother.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Today was an awful day for me and the wife.

We will certainly miss and never forget the friend who gave us laughs, friendship, protection, and seven years of great memories.
    Today was a tough day!

ret
    It's been 3 weeks since the wife and I had a similar bad day. We are still grieving. Pets are family. I'm sorry for your loss and for ours.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

My heart goes out to you and the Mrs.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Wow, that is terrible retsupt. Losing 2 great dogs in the last year has to be tough. I dread the day my mutt dog passes. She can find ways to annoy me, but she has been the most faithful dog I have ever owned. So sorry for your loss.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

You have my deepest sympathy. There is nothing more noble than holding your friend as he leaves this world.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

That is sad to hear,.. I've lost a couple, I feel your pain,. :-(

I wish that I had words to help ease your pain, but there are none. When our dogs pass away it leaves a giant hole in our hearts. However I truly believe that our souls are more complete because they came into our lives.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    retsupt I'm so sorry to hear this! The loss of one fur kind is hard enough to bear, much less two.
    Prayers and cyber-hugs sent to you and the Mrs and Maggie too.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Deepest heart felt condolences go out to you. It's never easy putting a trusted friend done. They give unconditional love and ask only for a kind word, scratch behind the ear and daily food and water. I've seen animals develop neurological problems. The best the vet could tell the wife and I was, it would cost several thousand dollars, and all it would do is determine what exactly the problem was, but with it being neurological it couldn't be fixed. I made the decision to let her go to a better place.

Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Losing a member of the family is never easy.

"Rhody" is now released from the pain and suffering. That's a good thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have had as many as nine German Shepherds at one time. Today, I only have three. I have experienced your pain! It gets better...I promise!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Today was an awful day for me and the wife. Our Rhodesian Ridgeback, Grady, was a faithful friend for the last seven years. We recently purchased an Irish Wolfhound pup so he would have a canine friend to share his day.
    Well, we've had the IW pup for about five weeks now, but about two months ago we noticed Grady acting a bit strange in his memory of things, his balance, and over the last couple of weeks (with three vet visits) he completely fell apart.
    The vet was fairly certain of some sort of growth in the brain. He could not hold his head up straight, the facial muscles started sagging, he would get lost in the house, and he lost his appetite.
    For the last week, Grady would only lay and sleep...never got up...ignored any treats whatsoever.
    The new IW pup stayed by his side these last 3 days. This afternoon we took him to the vet and she 'put him to rest'. Those of you with canine friends know how difficult that can be.
    Today was a tough day!

ret
    Sorry for your loss. A good dog is a tough one to lose. My friends just recently lost their Rottie to some sort of similar ailment. It all went down hill pretty quick.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I'm sorry to hear the news.

I'm sure he felt loved, surrounded by those he loved all the way to the end.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links