Bunny hibernation is almost over! :)

This is a discussion on Bunny hibernation is almost over! :) within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey all! I'm sort-of back! Thank you for all the concerned PMs, etc. Sorry about leaving so abruptly, it wasn't my intention... I went through ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bunny hibernation is almost over! :)

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Hey all! I'm sort-of back! Thank you for all the concerned PMs, etc. Sorry about leaving so abruptly, it wasn't my intention...

I went through BIT and got my instructor stuff underway, and then immediately started teaching that week (as an assistant, not "NRA Certified" till the paperwork blah blah) and then our dog, Blue (the Spanish Mastiff x Rottie) got really sick.

These breeds -- they're so stoic, it's hard to tell anything's wrong with them because they don't let you know it till they're almost at the end. Blue frequently went on hunger strikes since she was a puppy. She was very sassy like "I am SO not eating that kibble if you have steak on the dinner table, what's wrong with you?" and she pulled it on us again. Usually after a day or two at the most, she will give in and eat kibble again, and this time was no different, so we figured it was just Blue being Blue. She was a stubborn one, but the best, most loving, most faithful... hang on, I'm tearing up.

Anyhow, one morning I came down and saw her on the couch, just like normal, and she started throwing up feces on herself. We rushed her to the vet, they did all kinds of tests and said it just looked like her body was shutting down. The vet found a small piece of something that COULD have been a blockage, so he did emergency surgery on her but it was touch and go as to whether or not she would pull through. She surprised us all, and came home a few days later, same old Blue. But something wasn't right, and she continued to lose weight and started having fecal incontinence. Not the most fun thing to deal with, but we thought it was just because of the surgery and everything would be fine eventually.

Then in about a 90 day period, her hair that was shaved from the surgery never grew back, and the rest of her beautiful coat started to fall out. Her skin started sloughing off, and she continued to lose weight, and started acting depressed, limping, wouldn't play with us, wouldn't play with Ace (her brother the Great Dane), wouldn't even come in from the yard. We took her back to the vet and it was the worst we could expect. She'd never been a healthy girl, we got her as a cruelty starvation case when she was about 14-16 weeks old, and just the issues that she always dealt with because of the malnutrition...after the surgery it was too much and her body couldn't recover.

Blue was put to sleep early this month, with the vet, the tech who saved her life, me, and my son, all on the floor with her, holding her. She was surrounded by those who loved her and went quickly and peacefully. But I miss my best friend daily.

A few days later, I went to Blackwater or whatever they're calling it now, for a 5 day class, and then came home and went back to teaching the next morning.

Then it was time up in the Mountains with the North Carolina Police Dog Association, they had 40 K9 teams that were qualifying (it was so much fun to watch! Blue would have loved it up there.)

Somewhere in that time, we had a few more travels, and it's just been impossible to get any length of time to be online here.

But thanks all for the concern. I'm fine. We're fine. We leave for Italy next week, but I'm bringing the laptop. Wonder how hard it would be to smuggle a Ducati in my luggage back home? :)

--Bunny
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    And yes, PS, the bully situation is over and dealt with. I swear it was Divine Intervention, possibly Divine Comedy at work. First of all, I called up the local PD Captain so they were on alert. Then the next day, the kid decided to come by my house with some of his friends. He couldn't have timed it more perfectly. I was getting my range bag out of the car so I could clean the guns. I had the Beretta in one hand and the Sig on my hip. Remember now, I'm in MY driveway, walking to MY front door when the kid pulls up on his bike and sees this. Eyes popped open.

I was very nice, asked him if he wanted to come in or play out back or anything, he just picked up his jaw and goes "maybe we'll play out back, are those real?" I said "Of course. I'm an instructor, I have to teach a class tomorrow, so I'll be in the kitchen, cleaning these. Let me know if you guys want snacks or anything, Sweetie."

Then Ace, the giant, comes roaring around the back yard and the kid froze in place! He goes "Holy crap, that's the biggest dog I've ever seen! Um...is he friendly?" I said "sure, you bet! He's a therapy dog. As long as you're nice to us, he's nice to you. Don't worry. You want to play with him, or would you like me to bring him inside?" At which point my son goes "Oh, the bitey dogs are just all the police dogs that Mom knows. Don't worry, she doesn't do bitework with our dog though."

JUST as I'm about through the threshold of my front door, one of the marked cruisers rolls up and waves, so we wave back. The Bully goes "are you a policewoman too?" I said "No, of course not, we just know alot of them. Most live right here on our street, and I taught some of their wives how to shoot. They always stop by to say hi."

I think I actually heard him poop his pants at that point. He's been going out of his way to stop by (with his mom) and be all "Hello, ma'am, can Bunny Jr come out and play please? Thank you very much, ma'am."

I have been trying so hard not to laugh, but the whole thing was just too funny. The timing couldn't have been more perfect if we'd planned it out ourselves, and Bunny Jr, hasn't had an ounce of trouble from the kid ever since! lol
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Its good to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your four legged family member.

Sounds like you're really busy, and will continue to be. Have fun while traveling.

Try to stay in touch.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Bunny, I'm real sorry to hear about your best buddy!

Glad you guys are doing okay!
    [One Nation Under God]

Bunny,

I'm sorry to hear about Blue. Each dog that passes through our lives enriches and nourishes our soul more than we know.

As for the end of Bunny Jr's saga, I was rolling on the floor laughing over it. That is quite the ending, and one that I'm sure I will read again for a good laugh.

Take care and stay safe,

Biker

PS: The Ducati 999R will fit into three XL Duffle Bags sans engine and transmission.

VIP Member
    Great to know you're still with us!!

Glad things worked out OK for Bunny Jr.

Sorry about Blue. We know how you feel and what you're going through having gone through it ourselves many times.

You've probably seen this before, but in case you haven't...............

The Rainbow Bridge
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about Blue, it's always a hard thing to do. It wont be long for me and my wife with our old dog, their time here is very short and we cherish everyday with him as I'm sure you did too. Glad to see you frequent DC again.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    sorry to hear about blue
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

welcome back

and sorry to hear about Blue

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Nice to have you back. Sorry about your dog. Abrupt AWOLS always get the locals a little curious.

VIP Member
    Bunny, my condolences on the loss of Blue. People who don't have canine family members just cannot understand what a loss like that does to a person.

Congrats on the instructor work.

The saga of Bunny Jr. would make a great movie, except it wouldn't be convincing. Truth continues to be stranger than fiction. I'm still chuckling. I can just imagine the kid's eyes when Ace came charging at him!
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Welcome back. Glad to hear the bully situation has been worked out. Sorry to hear about Blue. Family is family whether they have 2 legs or 4. Our condolences.

Nice to have you back Bunny
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Bunny so sorry to hear about your fur kid, but it was good to see you pop in for a bit.
    Enjoy the trip
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Bunny...welcome back, sorry to hear about your pet. We had to put a Silky Terrier down a couple of years ago after 18 years...it was a very difficult thing to do.

My avatar is our Maltese, Cooper. He has been our new companion for 2 + years now. As you can see by how he sits on the end of the sofa, he is king!!!
    Proud NRA member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links