Might Need Spinal Cord Stimulator...Anybody know about them...

This is a discussion on Might Need Spinal Cord Stimulator...Anybody know about them... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anyone here use or know someone who uses a spinal cord stimulator? I would like to hear about positives or negatives. I may have ...

VIP Member

Does anyone here use or know someone who uses a spinal cord stimulator? I would like to hear about positives or negatives. I may have to have one implanted in my spine... Here's why:

I had a knee replacement back in April and have severe nerve pain in my lower leg. It feels like things are crawling on my leg and the slightest touch brings searing pain, like the worst sunburn in the world. It makes sleeping impossible... If you notice some of my post times you'll see what I mean. I have been off work, since the surgery and am currently taking very strong narcotic pain medicines.

I'm having a 4th set of spinal injections tomorrow and they should help to diagnose the cause. My doctor, was telling me today that depending on the outcome of the injections, the next step may be a spinal cord stimulator, a lumbar fusion of L4 & L5, or there may be nothing that will fix it.

I know what to expect if the lumbar fusion surgery is required, but I don't know anything about spinal cord stimulators. You can post here or PM me if you want to keep it private.

Thanks,
    JB
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    hey bro,
    I just asked my in-house nurse....my wife
    She teaches nursing classes at the local college, including neuro classes.

She said the stimulator is inserted much like a pacemaker is for the heart. To put it in the simplest terms possible, it sends electrical impulses through the nerves, making the action potential/pathways work better, basically making the nerves communicate better with each other/muscles to alleviate things like you are experiencing.

I hope that helps.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    My dad got one after numerous back surgeries and it worked well. He carried some kind of remote device to activate it when he had pain and it helped. About two years ago he pulled the leads loose while playing golf though because the Dr.'s shortened them.

Google...Research....Read....Get 2nd Opinion...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

It sounds like RSD or CRPS cronic regional pain syndrome, my wife broke her ankle and has never been the same, has a stimulator. If you'd like I'll have her PM you with her story.
    Good luck.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglide View Post
    It sounds like RSD or CRPS cronic regional pain syndrome, my wife broke her ankle and has never been the same, has a stimulator. If you'd like I'll have her PM you with her story.
    Good luck.
    Yes, please have her do it.

Thanks...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I got your message and email, Becky would be glad to share her experiences with you. It might be later in the day or late at night when she can't sleep, I know you know the feeling.
    I hope the latest injections worked well for you.
    Jim

One thing to remember is that they do nothing to cure the problem, only mask or eliminate the pain.

You must be well coached on what you can and cannot do in order to try and reduce any further damage.

OMO

bosco

VIP Member

Update... Spinal Injections on Fri 10/30

Well, unfortunately there has been no improvement from this latest round on injections... Actually, the injections made the symptoms worse... Which has happened before, but they don't stay that way very long... It'll be back to just BAD in a day or two....

I'm not really sure where we go from here... I'm going back to the doctor in a few days to discuss options, if there are any left....

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I have had one for a little over 4 years. PM me with any and all questions you have about it.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Links