Possible donor... - Page 3

Possible donor...

This is a discussion on Possible donor... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That waiting coupled with the subsequent questions as to donor/organ suitability must be real mental anguish for you. I continue to hold strong hope that ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possible donor...

Administrator
    That waiting coupled with the subsequent questions as to donor/organ suitability must be real mental anguish for you.

I continue to hold strong hope that everything works out OK for you. Hang in there.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I Wish You Well...

my friend. I had a kidney removed in March...at Shands in Central Florida! I still have a good one, but the other one about did me in...
    May the Good Lord guide your path!

Respectfully,

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

DC Founder
    Any status updates on your situation, Tom? We're all still rootin' for ya!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Hi folks. No change in status. I'm still on the active waiting list. My kidney function has declined a little from the spring, but all in all, things could be a lot worse. The synthetic vitamin D I've been taking since I broke my leg, last fall, has really improved my bone density. OTOH, connective tissues are starting to break down, some, and I'm fighting a rotator cuff injury in the left shoulder that has affected my shooting. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers and remain hopeful.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

DC Founder
    Thanks for keeping us up to date, Tom.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    Tom - very good to hear from you - many of us as you might tell have been wondering as well as rooting for you.

If renal function degradation has seemingly been relatively marginal since Spring that is great to hear. Ain't gettin' old a real bummer - even without extra stuff to deal with!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good to read this updae from you, Tom.

Prayers and positive thoughts continue from
    North texas !

Lew
    Tom, I have never read your posts before and am slowly working thru the thousands of old posts. I came across this and I had a thought. If I were a match, I would give you a kidney. Is there a process to have this checked and possibly a web site to go to for information? All life is precious and I am willing to bet that I am not the only willing person on this massive and wonderful forum to give the gift of life. Is this not the essance of CombatCarry? We are the sheepdogs looking out for the flock? Who knows, maybe I am not a match, but it is worth investigating.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Tom, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    ...If I were a match, I would give you a kidney. Is there a process to have this checked and possibly a web site to go to for information?...
    Yes, there is a process to go through. The first step is to know your blood type. If it is A or O, you can continue with the process, if you choose. If you are not A or O, then nothing else matters, and you can stop. There is a battery of testing you must go through. This is to ensure your safety, as well as mine. All of the testing is covered by my insurance, so you have no out-of-pocket costs. The testing for a potential donor is handled by a completely different team than the team that takes care of the transplant candidates on the list; this is to ensure there is no conflict of interest. Your team works only for your best interest. In your case, Lew, the testing would likely be done at the Maine Medical Center in Portland, and the results sent to a donor team at my center.

If we are deemed compatible, my insurance pays for your transportation costs and all medical costs associated with the donation. The surgery would be performed, here, in Richmond. I would arrange lodging for your spouse or significant other, if someone were to come down with you. For you, the procedure is laparoscopic, and the hospital stay is 3-5 days, with full recovery and return to work in about 2 weeks. The procedure is extremely safe for the donor - 99.9% suffer no serious complications from the surgery. 99.8% of live donors never have a problem with their remaining kidney. Those rare few who do suffer renal failure for some reason, go to the top of the list, immediately, for having been a donor, and usually receive a kidney within 6 weeks of being listed.

The surgery is not without risk, but the risk is very low, because of all the testing. The center I am using, the Hume-Lee Transplant Center at the VCU Medical Center, is one of the most experienced in the country, performing on average 2 renal transplants each week. So, think about it, and if you are still interested, PM me, and I will give you links and contact information for the Center.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links