Cardioversion for Atrial Fibrillation - Page 3

Cardioversion for Atrial Fibrillation

This is a discussion on Cardioversion for Atrial Fibrillation within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Dave, glad things were going well, and hope they will be again soon! God bless!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Cardioversion for Atrial Fibrillation

Dave, glad things were going well, and hope they will be again soon! God bless!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Keep us posted. You'll do great!

Not far from you is Wake Forest / Baptist hospital/ Bowman Grey School of Meds in Winston-Salem, North Carolina they have a heart clinic which is one of the best in the world. If they can't get things right where ur at, You could make an appt. there soon after to ascertain a second evaluation.

Maybe an hour an half ride from you maybe a bit less. Might be worth ur time to check it out.

You will be in my prayer list this evening, remember be concerned but try not to worry which can make symptoms worse through anxiety.

I had a cardiac ablation done there soon after I retired due to increased Cardiac PVC's. Very high tech heart lab they have there and I have not had a moments trouble since the procedure was preformed.

Wishing you well....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    ... Wake Forest / Baptist hospital/ Bowman Grey School of Meds in Winston-Salem, North Carolina ... have a heart clinic which is one of the best in the world. ... I had a cardiac ablation done there soon after I retired due to increased Cardiac PVC's. Very high tech heart lab they have there and I have not had a moments trouble since the procedure was preformed.
    That was one of three choices of clinic I considered a little over two years ago when they had me scheduled for cardiac ablation.

It was the electrician cardiologist who discovered the intermittent AV node problem (not SA node) resulting uncoordinated contractions. Luckily one of the intermittent events occurred and was captured on tape while I was all wired up -- following being jump started back into sinus rhythm in prep for the cardiac ablation.

AV node was creating a delay in conducting the signal from my atria to the ventricle that was four times longer than normal. This causes the following contraction of the atria to occur before the ventricles had completed their contraction. The resulting uncoordinated contractions then cause problems that were the reverse of Premature Ventricular Complex -- i.e., my ventricle beat later, rather than earlier than expected, making the atria pump against pressure and not fill the ventricle fully. Like PVC my my heart returned to its normal rhythm rather shortly after most onsets. Hence the original difficulty catching it on tape. However, repeats of this mess caused the A-fib - albeit not the typical A-fib. That's why the pacemaker. It coordinates contractions of ventricle based on my naturally generated signals that it receives from my SA node -- 100% of the time. That plus Rx seems to have worked for the last two years, so there was no need to go in and burn out any rouge cells in the lining of right atrium.

FWIIW, my normal heart rate was always slow. At rest, it is normally between 45 and 55 beats a minute. My pacemaker is programed to only take over the from the SA node to the atria only when my beat drops below 40.

Thanks for the concern, all. I do believe Tuesday was relatively isolated event and that the scheduled tests will find nothing new going bad. Sure I'm a tad concerned but not very worried at this point. My son (a former Force Recon FMF Corpsman) was home on his day off and he's not overly worried (at this point) -- so this old brown-shoe is not. Gota trust your Corpsman.

I think of this site as sort of extended family and I sent all the family an email update -- so did a cut and past to here.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, all.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Dave, did they "interrogate" your pacemaker yet? I think these store up recordings of events.
    What happened a couple of days ago might still be on there, or might be on there till
    the device is interrogated.

I guess I missed the part about the AV block in our previous discussions and thought the problem was
    all AF.

Anyway, I'm sure your cardiologists will get to the bottom of it--- and meanwhile you are feeling well again.

Put on a smile.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Dave, did they "interrogate" your pacemaker yet? I think these store up recordings of events.
    What happened a couple of days ago might still be on there, or might be on there till
    the device is interrogated.
    Yup. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I have a monitor beside the bed that is plugged into the Landline 24/7.

Somewhere in the programing it or the pacemaker detects and sends certain event automatically. Also, I can manually send a readout by pressing a button. Done that. Also, am scheduled to see a MD from the electrician cardiologist office to have my pacemaker’s memory/operation checked out in more detail.

BTW, I'm still feeling good today.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Yup. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I have a monitor beside the bed that is plugged into the Landline 24/7.

Somewhere in the programing it or the pacemaker detects and sends certain event automatically. Also, I can manually send a readout by pressing a button. Done that. Also, am scheduled to see a MD from the electrician cardiologist office to have my pacemaker’s memory/operation checked out in more detail.

BTW, I'm still feeling good today.
    Well, sooner or later the squiggly lines and readouts will tell them all they need to know.
    Good luck. Let me know how things go, by p.m. if you think it more appropriate.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member

Thumbs up Bit of an update -- with no bad news...

or not much news, at all.

I've had no recurrences of the of the major drop in BP.

There have been a bit of irregular beats. The were not to the level of concern.

After a second round of test today (five hours at the hospital), nothing new of significance.

My ProTime INR was up. But that's no big deal. Likely driven by a change in other Rx last week. Reducing the rat poison (a.k.a. warfarin dosage) will fix that. Besides, my ProTime INR was checked twice (in ambulance and at the ER) last week and was right on the mark.

They want to do another 48 hour event monitor next week and some more test two weeks later. BTDTGDT

At this point, I say no news is good news.

Thanks for all the well wishes.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Keep us posted....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member

Thumbs up No news is good news -- I think

Saw my primary cardiologist, this AM. He had nothing really to report.

Looks as if things are OK.

Nothing figured our as to the 64/46 BP drop.
    But, I have been OKed to resume cardiac rehab maintenance and other activities.

Was told to stay the course on the current Rx. Followup with my electrician cardiologist in July and back to my primary cardiologist in August.

All very routine.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Saw my primary cardiologist, this AM. He had nothing really to report.

Looks as if things are OK.

Nothing figured our as to the 64/46 BP drop.
    But, I have been OKed to resume cardiac rehab maintenance and other activities.

Was told to stay the course on the current Rx. Followup with my electrician cardiologist in July and back to my primary cardiologist in August.

All very routine.
    Heartfelt congrats that all is looking good. Chug on.
    Andrew Jackson

Well... think of it this way, you are still here, so there is a positive side..... don't let it get you down, think it only as a problem to resolve for now...

I was having irregular heartbeats regularly, and they couldn't figure it out. I kept telling them, it seems to really get bad after I take XXX medicine they had me on. Each time, they dismissed that. Then, one day..... in for a treadmill, I reminded of that again.... the Doctor told me to immediately stop taking it, because they had been notified that it was causing irregular heartbeats and heart attacks (death) in numerous people. Quit taking the med, and never ever had the issue again.

We'll keep you in our prayers.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links