Sleepless night after the fire......
Last night (Monday) the phone rang at 3:30 am with the alarm service informing me that I had a fire alarm activated in my farm shop, and that they had already notified the fire department ! I got dressed quickly and drove to the shop, I got there easily first, probably within 3 minutes of getting the call, all the time hoping it was a false alarm.
I circled around the shop and couldn't see anything bothersome. When I got out of my car I could smell a little smoke. My shop is 36 feet wide by 160 feet long. The first room is basically a mechanic shop, the second room is sort of a storage/project room, the third room is a well-sealed environmentally contolled storage room. When I got in the first room it looked perfectly normal, I don't even remember smelling any smoke, the second room had maybe a slight smoke smell, and nothing out of the ordinary. I cautiously peeped in the third room and it was full of thick black smoke. THIS IS A REAL FIRE !!! I closed the door back and immediately went outside. I moved my vehicle out of the way, and put my headlights on my shop, along with the headlights off of a tractor on the other side.
After what seemed like a couple of hundred years they arrived (I live rural, served by volunteers). They started attacking the fire, though by now it was roaring. The fire consumed our storage room (36 X 40), it was full of family furniture, some of it antiques, appliances, household goods, books, old kids toys, farm supplies, desks, computers, etc. It pretty well ruined all the contents in the second room, along with a Kubota mower, 4-wheeler, and two pressure washers. It scorched the inside of my mechanic shop area, in fact it did ruin quite a few things in there as well. I'm worried about my Mig and plasma torch.
Probably 75% of my shop and contents are in ruins. However I'm thankful absolutely no one was injured in any way, the material items can be replaced, the shop can be re-built. Most hurtful is the sentimental value of many of the items, also the crippled shop will hinder my work until repaired.
I don't keep gasoline, or other serious flammables in my shop, no heaters were running, in fact nothing was running in that sealed storage room, or anywhere else for that matter. Obviously that is where it started. About the time of the fire a cold front, with lightning passed through, we're wondering if it may have gotten hit by lightning.
I'm thankful for many things, plus the fact that I had ample insurance. Now if I can just get some ample sleep tonight.