Sleepless night after the fire......

This is a discussion on Sleepless night after the fire...... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last night (Monday) the phone rang at 3:30 am with the alarm service informing me that I had a fire alarm activated in my farm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleepless night after the fire......

VIP Member

Last night (Monday) the phone rang at 3:30 am with the alarm service informing me that I had a fire alarm activated in my farm shop, and that they had already notified the fire department ! I got dressed quickly and drove to the shop, I got there easily first, probably within 3 minutes of getting the call, all the time hoping it was a false alarm.

I circled around the shop and couldn't see anything bothersome. When I got out of my car I could smell a little smoke. My shop is 36 feet wide by 160 feet long. The first room is basically a mechanic shop, the second room is sort of a storage/project room, the third room is a well-sealed environmentally contolled storage room. When I got in the first room it looked perfectly normal, I don't even remember smelling any smoke, the second room had maybe a slight smoke smell, and nothing out of the ordinary. I cautiously peeped in the third room and it was full of thick black smoke. THIS IS A REAL FIRE !!! I closed the door back and immediately went outside. I moved my vehicle out of the way, and put my headlights on my shop, along with the headlights off of a tractor on the other side.

After what seemed like a couple of hundred years they arrived (I live rural, served by volunteers). They started attacking the fire, though by now it was roaring. The fire consumed our storage room (36 X 40), it was full of family furniture, some of it antiques, appliances, household goods, books, old kids toys, farm supplies, desks, computers, etc. It pretty well ruined all the contents in the second room, along with a Kubota mower, 4-wheeler, and two pressure washers. It scorched the inside of my mechanic shop area, in fact it did ruin quite a few things in there as well. I'm worried about my Mig and plasma torch.

Probably 75% of my shop and contents are in ruins. However I'm thankful absolutely no one was injured in any way, the material items can be replaced, the shop can be re-built. Most hurtful is the sentimental value of many of the items, also the crippled shop will hinder my work until repaired.

I don't keep gasoline, or other serious flammables in my shop, no heaters were running, in fact nothing was running in that sealed storage room, or anywhere else for that matter. Obviously that is where it started. About the time of the fire a cold front, with lightning passed through, we're wondering if it may have gotten hit by lightning.

I'm thankful for many things, plus the fact that I had ample insurance. Now if I can just get some ample sleep tonight.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Man, glad you are okay - and insured... sorry for the loss too.

ppk,

Sorry for your loss. My in-laws had it happen to them a few years ago. It is a devastating loss.

My prayers are with you. Hang in there.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Sorry for the loss.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    Man, glad you are okay - and insured... sorry for the loss too.
    +1 I know what it's like to experience a fire...two actually in the same house. Both started different ways and in different areas though but to the same effect!

Like you said Material things, But then the antiques and things you grew up with. But no one was hurt and things can be replaced,, Hope good insurance guy will help,, Prayers sent

Administrator
    I've never had a fire, I can't imagine the helpless feeling watching your stuff burn.

I'm sure you'll bounce back though. Good luck.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've never had a fire, I can't imagine the helpless feeling watching your stuff burn.

I'm sure you'll bounce back though. Good luck.
    I really didn't want to watch, but I had a first-hand view with a two inch fire hose. First real fire for me, though when I was a young kid we had a small fire occur in our utility room. I think it always affected me, since then I've always tried to be diligent to prevent them. When my kids were growing up I think they whispered among themselves that I was a fanatic about fire prevention.

It got me this time though..........UGH

Thanks guys for the responses, it's good to have an outlet with friendly ears.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sorry to hear about the fire ppk. Glad to hear everyone is safe and that you are insured though.

~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Just glad it was your shop and not your home.
    Best wishes on the insurance and a speedy rebuild.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

DAMN PPK I'm tearing up over your loss
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about that. There's no way to replace the stuff with sentimental value and I feel for you on that point.

Thank goodness you are safe; that it wasn't a BG and arson and all that kind of horrid stuff it might have been.

VIP Member
    I've never experienced a major fire and can't really comprehend what your loss is, but I am thankful that no one was hurt and that you have insurance. Prayers sent.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Prayers sent, I'm glade nobody was hurt. Good luck on getting some sleep. It will probably take some time to feel safe again.

I was in a house fire Halloween night 1980.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Best wishes for a speedy rebuild.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links