Another sleepless night after a fire (my daughter's) home
First, No one was seriously hurt. Praise the Good Lord.
Second, the house was saved. Limited personal property lost and there is some smoke & water damage. Could have been a lot worst!
There were six people there Christmas Night -- the night of the 25th.
Could have been more, but the power was off, because of the ice storm -- so one inlaw family was spending the night in a motel and our other daughter took her four of our grandchildren home, rather than doing the sleepover drill.
Only our daughter & husband, our 9yo granddaughter, our 20 something yo granddaughter, her SO, and our 7yo great granddaughter and an extra dog were in the house.
Our grandson and his two kids (the other Greats) were not in the house, either.
A candle was set too close to an electric lamp in a bedroom and ignited the shade. Curtains, bedclothes, mattress, and personal items went up. However, everyone got out with at worst small moderate 1st and 2nd degree burns to some of the adults, who were fighting it. All kids escaped w/o injury.
So, by midnight, our little retirement home was overrun –every bed full, both couches full and sleeping pads and sleeping bags in use on the floor.
Big breakfast, and all adults save me (with my recent pacemaker surgery) and my wife (with her two bad knees) were back up the mountain to start the clean-up. We stayed home to watch grands and great grands, etc.
Albeit our house will be full (to the sleeping pads and sleeping bags on the floor) level again tonight, I hope there will be more sleep to be had by all.
When you talk to your lord, pass along thanks that things worked out as well as they did.
BTW -- I thought I had posted a thread about this earlier today, but can't find it, to update. If a dup, sorry