Other shoulder surgery stories ??

This is a discussion on Other shoulder surgery stories ?? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; LethalSlang, Sounds like you had the same surgery I had in 2007. Tore a ligament at some point while dislocating my shoulder 7 times in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other shoulder surgery stories ??

LethalSlang,

Sounds like you had the same surgery I had in 2007. Tore a ligament at some point while dislocating my shoulder 7 times in 4 years. I was 23 when I had the surgery in late March of 2007. I was playing softball in July. Bad idea. Didn't do any damage, but just not smart. I also stopped going to PT because I felt like they were holding me back. Probably another bad idea. I would recommend doing everything the docs tell you to do. Overall, I have about 85% range of motion back, but I still feel weak in the shoulder. Thankfully it was my left (I'm right handed). There's no pain, just a mental thing that I'm sure anyone with that type of injury will suffer from.

Best of luck to you! Get lots of rest and do everything the doctor tells you!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dakeypoo View Post
    LethalSlang,

Sounds like you had the same surgery I had in 2007. Tore a ligament at some point while dislocating my shoulder 7 times in 4 years. I was 23 when I had the surgery in late March of 2007. I was playing softball in July. Bad idea. Didn't do any damage, but just not smart. I also stopped going to PT because I felt like they were holding me back. Probably another bad idea. I would recommend doing everything the docs tell you to do. Overall, I have about 85% range of motion back, but I still feel weak in the shoulder. Thankfully it was my left (I'm right handed). There's no pain, just a mental thing that I'm sure anyone with that type of injury will suffer from.

Best of luck to you! Get lots of rest and do everything the doctor tells you!
    Thanks. I've been trying to take it real easy and not do too much outside of the physical therapy. Been doing rubber band work and different stretches, but i can tell im not going to have full range of motion again. My shoulder seems to be pretty tight now, total opposite of before. The surgeon said when he put me to sleep my arm just slid out place, said it was more loose than the average shoulder he repairs. I have an atrophied infraspinatus muscle on the back side of the same shoulder which is a whole other problem, but this repair was the main one. I still wont be lifting weights any time soon but im willing to accept the downtime of recovery to fix this once and for all.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Not much on doctor jargin but had my right done two yrs ago,80% torn with 5/8 bone speer and artridic build up...I took it very easy till PT started,hated sleeping in the recliner for 5 weeks,found one with a left handed handle for recining couldnt lay down,after PT started(3 times a week it got better and better)if they give ya the rubber band ta use at home do it big plus and also do the wall walks with your fingers to strech the arm out also a big plus,Iam a long time bowhunter and shooting bow is one of the big things i like to do so I really wanted to get back doing it,plus riding my HD;s is big,I didnt shoot my 30-06 for about 16 months,scared I would reinjur my shoulder......My shoulder hasn't felt this good in over 9 yrs.....to bad I think my left is bad now from doing all the heavy lifting with it from babying my right grrrrr....
    Good luck and listin to the PT....
    OD 19.........G26 and a few more .
    Gun Controll Means Using Both Hands..

Thanks Ranger. I slept in a recliner for about 5 weeks too. I have been doing many various rubber band exercises and stretches with a long straight broom handle. Im about 8 weeks out now so im starting to get out of the protective phase and really concentrating on strengthening now. The down time sucks but its all going to be worth it in the long run. Glad to hear your surgery turned out good for you, hope you dont have to do the same thing to your other.
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...

1*

NRA Member

One of the things I did to regain over head range of motion; post surgery the doc gave me a rope with 2 lawnmower handles on the ends with a pulley in the middle that had a nylon strap that went over a door. The idea was to stand facing the door and pull the repaired arm up to about 45 degrees without using the repaired muscles to maintain motion.

Once I was given clearance to really push gaining range of motion after the manipulation, I would stand with my back to the door and pull the repaired arm up and back as far as it would go…..then a few inches further. This is where the crying comes in; I could hear scar tissue tearing every time I did this. I did this until I could finally touch my thumb to the door. This exercise is best proceeded with a little warming up exercise; I recommend about a 3 second pull on a bottle of good 90 proof bourbon. Then stand with the good side toward the door and pull the arm up sideways until you get it straight up over your head.

One more thing: I went to a chiropractor for trouble with my low back due to the fall and pelvic fracture and I warned him about the shoulder surgery. He asked if I wanted him to work on the shoulder, not sure what the technique is called but here is the idea. If you dump a bunch of round tooth picks on a table the lay every which way, if you roll them under your hand they all line up the same way. Scar tissue forms every which way, by working his hands over the scar line he can tear loose the tissue that is not aligned with the scar line and impedes movement. Again not pleasant but I could feel the improvement with every treatment, I think a therapeutic masseuse can do this as well and I believe they call it “rolphing” (sp)

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    One of the things I did to regain over head range of motion; post surgery the doc gave me a rope with 2 lawnmower handles on the ends with a pulley in the middle that had a nylon strap that went over a door. The idea was to stand facing the door and pull the repaired arm up to about 45 degrees without using the repaired muscles to maintain motion.

Once I was given clearance to really push gaining range of motion after the manipulation, I would stand with my back to the door and pull the repaired arm up and back as far as it would go…..then a few inches further. This is where the crying comes in; I could hear scar tissue tearing every time I did this. I did this until I could finally touch my thumb to the door. This exercise is best proceeded with a little warming up exercise; I recommend about a 3 second pull on a bottle of good 90 proof bourbon. Then stand with the good side toward the door and pull the arm up sideways until you get it straight up over your head.

One more thing: I went to a chiropractor for trouble with my low back due to the fall and pelvic fracture and I warned him about the shoulder surgery. He asked if I wanted him to work on the shoulder, not sure what the technique is called but here is the idea. If you dump a bunch of round tooth picks on a table the lay every which way, if you roll them under your hand they all line up the same way. Scar tissue forms every which way, by working his hands over the scar line he can tear loose the tissue that is not aligned with the scar line and impedes movement. Again not pleasant but I could feel the improvement with every treatment, I think a therapeutic masseuse can do this as well and I believe they call it “rolphing” (sp)
    Great info, thanks! I go to physical therapy once a week and it is a tear-jerking fun time. Before i do my exercise at home or go to therapy, i take a percocet about an hour before hand so i can really push it harder than i would without it. I also have a damaged nerve and muscle atrophy in the infraspinatus cuff on the same shoulder, so this has also complicated recovery. I like the idea of your upward ROM exercise with the handle thing, ill have to look into that.

1*

NRA Member

Shoulder and Physical therapy

As a therapist I can only tell you to follow the exercise protocol to the letter. Doing each and every Exercise session 3 to 5 x daily. Icing before and after. You should have no time left in the day for any thing else. the 1st 6 weeks are the most important , do not miss a P.T. session and a continuing exercise program to build the integrity and stability of the joint and tissue for a year and for ever. I am a post rotator cuff surgery and followed all protocols from the Professor of Orthopedics. No problems 4 years now . Work up to your pain, through you pain , without causing pain . GOOD LUCK

I had a severely torn labrum repaired in Sept. 2008 via a Reverse Bankart Procedure with Posterior Capsular Shift and a Biceps Tenodesis.

9 weeks out from surgery I attended LFI 1 and shot well enough to pass (surgery was on the left shoulder, and I am a righty- I still did the off-hand shooting though).

I started lifting again in January 2009. It really took a year to get my shoulder in good shape. It's pretty strong now- I can do overhead presses and such with no problem. It is a little weaker than the undamaged shoulder, but not too much. I lost maybe 10% ROM, but that is to be expected with the surgery I had and the fact that my shoulder was dislocating in 3 directions prior to surgery.

Do what the PT tells, you. Ice when it hurts. After a few months, I found heat (especially moist heat) was very effective for achiness in the evenings.

Good luck.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Quote Originally Posted by chickdiver View Post
    I had a severely torn labrum repaired in Sept. 2008 via a Reverse Bankart Procedure with Posterior Capsular Shift and a Biceps Tenodesis.

9 weeks out from surgery I attended LFI 1 and shot well enough to pass (surgery was on the left shoulder, and I am a righty- I still did the off-hand shooting though).

I started lifting again in January 2009. It really took a year to get my shoulder in good shape. It's pretty strong now- I can do overhead presses and such with no problem. It is a little weaker than the undamaged shoulder, but not too much. I lost maybe 10% ROM, but that is to be expected with the surgery I had and the fact that my shoulder was dislocating in 3 directions prior to surgery.

Do what the PT tells, you. Ice when it hurts. After a few months, I found heat (especially moist heat) was very effective for achiness in the evenings.

Good luck.
    Im also looking at 10-15 % loss in ROM but i can live with that as long as my shoulder is stable and tight. Thanks for the advice.

1*

NRA Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links