PTSD

This is a discussion on PTSD within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by PastorPack PTSD is defined as A common anxiety disorder that develops after exposure to a terrifying event or ordeal in which grave ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PTSD

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    PTSD is defined as
    A common anxiety disorder that develops after exposure to a terrifying event or ordeal in which grave physical harm occurred or was threatened.
    IF your son has had such and experience, then by all means his immediate family will be instrumental in his recovery. If he has not and the "counselor" is merely suggesting that he has, then check the credentials and get a second opinion from a credible professional with good references.
    Thank you well stated. Having worked with Nam Era vets in prison as a result of PTSD related crimes I am sick of every little whining cry baby that has stubbed their toes as a child sniveling about having PTSD. That has no basis in reality and diminishes the trauma suffered by those who suffered real devastating traumatic events. Be it from children horribly battered abused and molested to our soldiers who endure unspeakable horror in defense of our nation.

As PastorPack said if your son has experienced real life altering traumatic events than get him help and all the support you can. If not give him and his a quack the boot. To many quacks make a fortune off of whatever the current in malady is
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Interesting fact that the drug companies & the FDA withheld.

Prescription anti-depressant medications are only 4%(or less) more effective than placebo.

VIP Member

Anxiety Disorders

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    As PastorPack said if your son has experienced real life altering traumatic events than get him help and all the support you can. If not give him and his a quack the boot. To many quacks make a fortune off of whatever the current in malady is
    There are a group of disorders known as anxiety disorders and they have overlapping characteristics and symptoms. PTSD is one of these, but Generalized Anxiety Disorder is very very common and can be confused with PTSD. And then, there are combinations of things like social anxiety disorders, sociial phobias all with overlaps into generalized anxiety, OCD, and sometimes PTSD.

Accurate diagnosis and appropriate medical care is important. Often, anxiety disorders turn into serious problems which are psychotic like (deep depression, paranoia). Someone who suffers constantly from severe anxiety doesn't have the energy left over to do the things they need to do.

As anxiety disorders are grounded in biology at a very fundamental level of the so called "reptilian" brain, the amygdala, it might be inappropriate to simply dismiss the son the OP speaks of and expect him to float on his own.

Most important thing, obtain competent care. Seek it out at a clinic affiliated with a medical school and a major teaching hospital.

I too doubt the validity of PTSD in someone who has not experienced a severe trauma, but generalized anxiety can be mistaken for it and can be quite debilitating; especially if there are other co-morbid issues.

The tough luck throw 'em in the pool and let 'em swim or sink approach will only work on fundamentally healthy folks who are making bad decisions. Someone who is ill will sink. It is as inevitable as throwing someone with un-mended broken arms and legs into
    a lake and expecting them to swim. It won't happen, they'll drown.

Thanks Hopyard.

We are doing the best We can and I'll keep ya'll posted.

As I type Mom and I have looked around for some housing for all three boys to try and put them in the shallow end of the pool, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopard125 View Post
    He did say something about medical pot.
    From what you indicate you are going by what he has told you, and you have not been given access to any medical records.

Medical pot for PTSD? In my opinion you being conned by a doper! Don't be an enabler. It's time for him to go on his own and make his own way.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links