PTSD

This is a discussion on PTSD within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got some strange news today, My oldest son(20yo)has been going to some counseling and seems he has not been happy with his current life. comes ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PTSD

PTSD

Got some strange news today, My oldest son(20yo)has been going to some counseling and seems he has not been happy with his current life.
    comes home today and tells Mom and I that he suffers from PTSD and his childhood is the blame for it.

I'll be the first to admit that My wife and I are not perfect but PTSD really?
    So am I and My wife obligated to nurture this boy man for the rest of his life?

2. Remove Ads

No, because no matter how difficult our lives have been, their are those who have suffered much worse.

Have your son go visit a veterans hospital so he can see what real PTSD is.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Yeah I got PTSD when my parents told me when I turned 18 I had to move out and learn to support myself,I'd been mowing yards since I was 12 for money,and got a job when I turned 16 after school
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Uh.....were you two 'abusive' to the boy? Were his formitive years spent locked in the closet? PTSD is 'generally' diagnosed after 'trama' of some kind......although I'm NO doctor in ANY capacity.

Depression perhaps, but I question PTSD. Help the boy get another opinion, but to care for him for the rest of ya'lls life.....nope.

Help him, support him (WRT his mental health), but I would not recommend taking the responsibility for his care for 'life'. That's NOT helping him, that's an excuse to 'mooch' and not grow-up. The 'boy' has to come out of the "man-boy".

Now, having said all that, I'm NO Dr. and have absolutly NO clue to situation and circumstances of your family's life........so don't just accept my opinion without ANY other thought.

Bottom line, IMO, get another opinion, consuling,and go from there.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    They ^^^^^pretty^^^^^much ^^covered^^^^it!^^

Good luck

Trying to control crime with gun control laws is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Leopard125 View Post
    Got some strange news today, My oldest son(20yo)has been going to some counseling and seems he has not been happy with his current life.
    comes home today and tells Mom and I that he suffers from PTSD and his childhood is the blame for it.

I'll be the first to admit that My wife and I are not perfect but PTSD really?
    So am I and My wife obligated to nurture this boy man for the rest of his life?
    Does the person from whom the boy has been getting the counseling have the credentials to diagnose his problem as PTSD? I wouldn't think a childhood without some severe abuse experience would result in PTSD for a kid but, of course I'm no therapist. I'd be interested in more details to this story.

Administrator
    I'd kick his ass and actually give him some PTSD.
    "Just blame Sixto"

His brothers 18 and 19yo don't seem to have a problem.
    Not sure yet of the tramatic experience he has told the councel about yet, but he does seem to feel the victim.
    He did say something about medical pot.

.... but he does seem to feel the victim.
    Does he get his prescriptions from a street-side pharmisist?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Im questioning whether he is making this up or at least exacerbating it so he can get legal drugs with a Rx. Medicinal Pot?? This is a red flag.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Not sure yet of the tramatic experience he has told the councel about yet, but he does seem to feel the victim.
    It's all becoming clear to me now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    Im questioning whether he is making this up or at least exacerbating it so he can get legal drugs with a Rx. Medicinal Pot?? This is a red flag.
    Was wondering the same thing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll second (or third) that. Regardless of the past, it's time for him to be a man and quit blaming others.

This may be the driving force behind his issues. We have not lived in your household to know for sure what his life was like growing up or roles you played as parents.

For anyone to diagnose his problem over the internet is entirely irresponsible as none knows any of the factors involved other that what we learn from the OP. No disrespect to you.

In some cases it is as subtle as have parents who fight in front of the children even when the children are not in the same room. I'm no expert and I doubt most of those who comment are, however I would get more expert opinions outside of the internet if I were you.

Some of the professionals are quite quick to push a diagnosis.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    For anyone to diagnose his problem over the internet is entirely irresponsible as none knows any of the factors involved other that what we learn from the OP. No disrespect to you.

Some of the professionals are quite quick to push a diagnosis.
    This is true. However my previous comment is intentionally blunt. I believe that our society has become overly sensitive to the often whimsical 'needs' of an individual. The bottom line is that life is often hard and never fair. The sooner that one embraces that and focuses their efforts on productive tasks, the healthier they tend to be.

It will also save them a lot of money that would otherwise be spent on counseling (and I do speak with some education and experience in that regard).

Respectfully,

WHEC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links