Dealing with loss of pet - Page 3

Dealing with loss of pet

This is a discussion on Dealing with loss of pet within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In no way, shape, or form have you lost your mind. The feelings you have demonstrate the love you had for part of your family. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with loss of pet

In no way, shape, or form have you lost your mind. The feelings you have demonstrate the love you had for part of your family. These family members are so very special, because they love unconditionally, and when we lose them, we lose our best friend, and sometimes our closest family member. I put down Trinity, my dog this past August. I still miss her terribly. I still even get tears in my eyes when I think of her. She was a great dog. There was some awesome thoughts shared with me on this same forum when I lost her. Their support and words of encouragement really helped me through a difficult time. I still reflect on the words. It is true, with time the pain will subside, and will be replaced with the great memories you shared with your loved pet.

You have my sympathies, and my sincere heartfelt hurt for your loss.

God bless, and maybe my Trinity will give your cat a little loving across Rainbow Bridge as they wait for us.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

if you are crazy

there are alot of us who are right with you. My 2 old dogs died within 6 months of each other last year. That was a double tap that nearly did me in. I still miss them and always will. I have my much beloved mare, she is 22 now. I have had her since she had just turned 4. I joke and say we are growing old together because we have the same aches and pains. I can't even think of her leaving...it will be a very bad day. Monitor all blurry just thinking about it.

Our pets, big and small, are the unconditional love we get to come home to everyday. They are unabashedly funny, calm, loving, protective, goofy, quiet, snuggly...whatever they sense we need at the moment. And that's why we are there for them when it is time for them to go on. The hardest thing in the world is holding them for the vet to make their exit easier. It is also the most compassionate thing we can do for them. Let your heart rest easier knowing you did the right thing by her. She would thank you if she could.

Believe me, anyone who has ever had a pet that they loved "gets it". Take care! We are here if you want to talk more.
    Legacy

You loved her. You haven't lost your mind. It has been more than 4 years ago that we had to put our Dakota to sleep. I share and understand your loss.

BeBe was a beauty.

VIP Member
    It's TOUGH to lose a special pet. I caught a wild kitten 13 years ago, and in the taming process we bonded, and he could pick me out in a crowd of people in seconds. By far the best pet/cat I've ever had.....he was very loyal and smart. About a year ago, he developed a large cancerous tumor on his side, and it was untreatable.

I monitored his quality of life closely, and knew very well that the day would come when he'd need to be put to sleep. The closer that day got the more care he needed, and I saw that he got that care, and that he was very comfortable.

One Sunday morning he was too weak to stand, though he was happy to see me, and greeted me with a meow "letting me know about his weakened condition". I wanted him to spend his last moments in the house he loved so much, with us together, and I had the means to euthanize him myself and I did so while he laid on my lap. It was one of the saddest things I've ever experienced, and tough to do, but it was now time.

While I was prepared for his death, and knew it was coming, losing him has been very tough.

There's probably not much I can say to make you feel any better other than you aren't alone. Time and a new pet can sometimes help soften the loss. Cherish the memories, though you gotta keep moving for yourself. Sorry to here about your loss, I'm right there with you.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

cj
    My sincerest condolences, and you have not lost your mind. Pets are, and should be, family. The best thing to remember is that you gave her the best life possible, but I know that really doesn't make it any easier for now. Hang in there, and know many are thinking of you.

you are most decidedly not crazy, but displaying the very best part of your humanity: grief is the price that we must pay for love.

God bless.

VIP Member
    I'm so so sorry to hear of your loss. You are not alone in the love of your pet. I'm reminded of a passage I read in a book a few years ago...Why did God make our pet's lives so short? Perhaps the answer is that if we feel this badly after a few years, how could we possibly deal with the loss of a beloved pet that remained with us for 30, 40, or more years. We simply could not.

Out pets love us, they watch over us, and they spend their lives being our companions. It is normal to feel the way you do. I still remember my childhood cat and dog, and still sometimes feel sorrow after 30 years.

But remember the love, always.

Oh man, My eyes mist up thinking about babies I've lost. Thinking of those I have yet to lose. These are children in a very real sense of the word. We lost my wife's dad a couple of weeks ago and I put that on this board. We took the two newfoundland dogs in the JEEP with us for the 400 mile+ trip to Lake City Florida for a reason. We couldn't bear to kennel them, not even for THIS. As it turned out pop's rottie, Bubba, really needed the attentions of our two pups. Bubba hung around them like Grant hung around Richmond. In the past Bubba had been a good host at Holidays when we came up to visit Cathy's dad. But he was aloof. Now he needed them in the worst way. There was lots of whining and kissy faces. It was eerie to watch in the way they mimicked our own human interplay with the passing.

I've heard some hard core "Christians" say repeatedly that pets won't be in Heaven because they have no soul. But my former Pastor, now with his own radio show (Home*-*Key Life Network) has been a big devotee of the German Shepherd. He once said during a service that he couldn't imagine a loving God denying us anything we needed to be happy in Heaven, especially our pets. For eternity. I'll go with that. I'm going to see and cuddle with all of the pets I've ever loved. Someday.

When a four legged child passes, like a two legged child or any loved one, you can never "get over it" (although those who don't understand will implore you to do just that eventually) .... you can only get used to it. Time really does heal most wounds like this. Also, so does another pet ... in time. Not right away. You have to grieve first. But you'd be amazed at the healing qualities of a fuzzy face and a little pink tongue needing the love you can offer in return.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

When we lose one of our pets, they take a large part of our soul with them, some more than others. However, they leave part of themselves with us.

I know I am a better person because of the pets that have been in my life.

You will be in my thoughts.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Many of us have been there and many will be again. I lost one of the most special cats I have known. In 1997 my wife gave me a kitten as an early birthday present. That kitten was so cute she would steal your heart. We named her Bandit. A year later Bandit gave me four more kittens. Eight months later Bandit was killed by a truck. Losing Bandit hurt so much. Out of the four kittens there was one female and she looked like Bandit. My wife named her Pebbles. I still have Pebbles. She didn't replace Bandit but did ease the pain. Now my wife and I have 7 cats at home and they have become our "children". The amount of hurt we experience in loss is proportionate to the amount of love we experienced. It will ease. The best way to start healing is to find another cat or kitten. I know it is going to hurt like crazy when Pebbles goes. She cries for me to pick her up when I'm at home. She climbs up on my shoulders and lays across the back of my neck.

You are not losing your mind. You are showing that you are a decent person. Our attachment to our pets/friends show our better side. My 14 year old Basset Hound is getting close to the end. I don't know how I'll handle it, but threads like this help us all. I guess I do have one lucky twist to this -- I still will have his daughter.
    Last edited by StevePVB; February 9th, 2010 at 10:32 AM.

Tough times, and our pets are often right there for us, no matter what else is going on. You did all you could. What you describe is something I've seen before and there is nothing that can be done if it's the same stuff. Sure sounds like it is.

Remember your times with your cat .... they live shorter lives than we do, although we wish it was longer. Find another buddy to make memories with.

Wink I used to hate cats, then one changed my life...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Many of us have been there and many will be again. I lost one of the most special cats I have known. In 1997 my wife gave me a kitten as an early birthday present. That kitten was so cute she would steal your heart. We named her Bandit. A year later Bandit gave me four more kittens. Eight months later Bandit was killed by a truck. Losing Bandit hurt so much. Out of the four kittens there was one female and she looked like Bandit. My wife named her Pebbles. I still have Pebbles. She didn't replace Bandit but did ease the pain. Now my wife and I have 7 cats at home and they have become our "children". The amount of hurt we experience in loss is proportionate to the amount of love we experienced. It will ease. The best way to start healing is to find another cat or kitten. I know it is going to hurt like crazy when Pebbles goes. She cries for me to pick her up when I'm at home. She climbs up on my shoulders and lays across the back of my neck.
    Oh man, it's hard to see the screen now. When I was first married almost 22 years ago, I was up late one night and heard a mewling sound outside our door. It came over and over again. I opened the door and stepped into the cold night air in December of 1990.

This little ball of fluff rocketed into my arms and SNUGGLED down. It was like he was saying:

"HI! Will YOU be my daddy?"

My heart just melted totally. I went in and showed him to my wife and she cooed: "Look at his face it looks like he's wearing a little black mask. Let's call him BANDIT!" He was MY boy. He slept on my chest every night for 17 years until we lost him to renal failure and had to put him to sleep. God, I DO miss him so.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thumbs up +1!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Find another buddy to make memories with.
    YES! Just now as I was quietly crying over Bandit, my new little girl, GRAYCE came up and NUDGED me with her her little paw. She's a DOT-A-HOLIC and craves to chase the laser pointer all over the house. She's such a cool cat and so loving, too. She takes the pain of losing so many others these last 22 years. We've owned 7 cats and one by one they traveled across the Rainbow Bridge and there they wait for us.

VIP Member
    man you're not crazy, you're human, a human that has a heart and cherishes and values the love of a pet

you are not alone, just keep looking through this section of the forum and you'll find a lot of other members going through (or that went through) the same thing, including me:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...companion.html

time will help, as will knowing that you're not alone and can read numerous accounts of other people on here going through the same thing
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links