Dealing with loss of pet

Dealing with loss of pet

This is a discussion on Dealing with loss of pet within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just a couple of days ago I posted up that I had returned to the forum after a few months of not having phone service ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with loss of pet

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Dealing with loss of pet

Just a couple of days ago I posted up that I had returned to the forum after a few months of not having phone service and unemployment.

Other events have taken place during my absence and I thought I would get some community thoughts and advice.

My favorite pet of all time, a cat named Bebe, had been a little sick over the past few months. Naturally, she seemed to get worse just about the time I lost my job.

All symptoms pointed to asthma and wasn't terribly concerning at the time, however, just a few weeks ago it did seem to worsen.

Thursday, January 28th, I came home to find her struggling for breath like never before. She was in a lot of distress.

Having no job and no income I managed to beg a local vet to see her for life saving measures.

They put her on oxygen for a few minutes and gave her a fast acting steroid and a slow release steroid and said she should be much better in a few hours. They did no X-rays as this was just doing me a huge favor on no money. I was much relieved and appreciative of their efforts.

I got her home and a few hours later, just after the vet office closed, she became much much worse than before. This time, struggling to breath and drooling.

I called the Emergency Vet and took her in (knowing all along I had no money but was willing to write a bad check to save her life).

Again, they put her in the oxygen tank and she improved. I decided to leave her overnight in the oxygen so she could get a good nights rest and see if her earlier steroid injections would kick in.

Friday morning, January 29th, I was on my way to the Emergency Vet and I got a call. They said she was not doing good.

When I arrived, I saw something that will never leave me. She was in the oxygen tank and was to the point of near suffocation. She was struggling to breath, she couldn't stand and was barely able to hold her head up. It might be my imagination, but I swear that when she looked at me as I came in, she . . .

I am sorry, I cannot finish this. I cannot think of what I went through when I saw her.

Anyway, I immediately knew I had to put her down. I was with her as they injected the killing solution and in three seconds she was gone. I am and have been totally crushed and I have felt more sadness than I knew existed.

Today is an exact week since I lost her.

I have to be honest, I felt more sadness and pain losing this animal than I did when my mother died. I cry nearly every night. I have lost girlfriends that I thought I "couldn't live without" but this will not leave me.

Have I lost my mind?

I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I am very sorry to hear this, and I, like many others on this forum, do understand the attachment to your pet. It is very difficult to lose our 'never' complaining companions. They do make big differences in our lives.
    Hang in there...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    You will find a lot of support here my friend. Many of us on this forum have been and will be where you are now. Pets are very important members of the family. Give it some time and you'll feel better. You did what you could.

May you find some solace in the following...................

The Rainbow Bridge
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Deepest condolences go out to you. In my years I have had to put many dearly loved pets (most of them cats) down. It breaks your heart each time. They give you their love and trust. All they ask in return is food and a comfortable place to rest. I'm not ashamed to admit, I send them off to their maker with tears on their fur. Check the link below. I pray it gives you some comfort.

<Rainbow Bridge>

Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    It's been 3 years and every time I see a photo of "Yardy" my Rottweiler I get misty eyed. She was such a sweet old bird.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Losing a four legged loved one can be very hard on us.

Try to hang in there, your situation will improve in time.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

hbc
    Your feelings are definitely not unusual. Many of us have been there. It sounds trite, but time is the only thing I know that will ease your pain. I wish you well.

Distinguished Member
    No you have not lost your mind at all. My dog has taught me innumerable things and boosted my happy hormones to the sky.

Time heals.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    It's called unconditional love. My pets are my family. Sorry for your loss , but know this. You gave her a good live and you will see her again.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Your not losing your mind my friend, not by a long shot. 1 year ago, we had to put down our Fat Gabby, had her 10 years (Cancer), still have her Sister of 9 years. Put my Pit/Lab Mix Dallas down 6 years ago and dang, I still miss that old girl, she was with me my last part of my military career and into retirement.

They become part of our families, the become part of us. You not losing your mind, just a best friend that showed you as put here unconditional love as my 3 do now, you can't beat that kind of love.

It'll get better, never forgotten, but better.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    As I sit here with my furry family of 8 all around me and read your post, I can tell you that many of us feel the same way about our pets and you are certainly not crazy.
    Condolences my friend. You have lost a family member.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

No, you are not going crazy. I put down our beloved Lucky May 21, 2009...a day I will never forget. Lost human family members but losing a beloved dog was 10 times harder.

Dennis

Our hearts are with you as we understand losing a beloved pet. I had to read
    "Rainbow Bridge" again as I knew I'd end up crying but it is also comforting and I can see my boy Gussie up there having the time of his life chasing pheasants and quail. I too often felt guilty/strange as I grieved more over his loss than the loss of my parents. Something in them has a very special hold in our hearts..God Bless!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I lost my pet cat of 13 years almost a year ago - and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of her and miss her.

You'll be in my thoughts tonight -
    B
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

The day I had to have Cujo, my first rottie and best friend to put sleep is the day a part of me died also. It gets better with time but you will always have a place in your heart for your lost friend.

On the way home alone in my truck I swore I was having a heart attack, my chest felt like someone was squeezing it. For weeks I got this felling every time I thought of him.

Then you will start to remember that you gave them a great life and all the joy they bestowed upon you. Their is no love so unconditional as that of a pet. God sends them to us to take the hard edge off of life's hardships and show us his love.

Pets teach us how to love back and remind us of the beauty that surrounds us every day.

Is it any wonder it hurts so bad when they pass...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links