One less WWII veteran

One less WWII veteran

This is a discussion on One less WWII veteran within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Born in 1920, grew up in rural Louisiana hunting, fishing, working on the family farm. Enlisted in the Army Air Corp 1939 Served primarily as ...

VIP Member

One less WWII veteran

Born in 1920, grew up in rural Louisiana hunting, fishing, working on the family farm.
    Enlisted in the Army Air Corp 1939
    Served primarily as aircraft mechanic in Europe and North Africa
    Honorably discharged in 1945
    Worked in West Texas oilfields in the late 40's
    Married in 1951
    Worked in various plant-operated industries
    First child born in 1952 (son)
    Began career as independent merchandiser/advertiser
    Second child born in 1962 (daughter)
    Active with his family, church and career.
    His wife, our mother, died in 1987
    Retired from active working career in1987
    1987-2000 he lived alone with family help and support
    2002 daughter moved in with him to enhance that help and support
    Died peacefully in his sleep February 25, 2010

An excerpt from his obituary:

.....was a wonderful story teller and loved life to its fullest. He never met a stranger. Most of all, he was a devoted husband, brother, son, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, and friend.

I had someone tell me at the funeral that he was the "definition of a good man". I can't think of fewer words that could describe him better.

Of course, my notes above are about my father who recently passed away. I've been too busy to post anything about him until now. Last Saturday, at the cemetery I had pre-arranged for the folded flag to be given directly to my 30 year old son. I knew it would be special moment for him and when I saw him later I knew it was.

We're all doing okay and I write this now sort of as a tribute, but not so much that he was a WWII veteran, but more so for the exemplary level of how he led his entire life.........that's how he became a "good man".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    You should be proud. A close friend of mine (also a WWII vet) passed last week as well. What an incredible legacy that generation leaves!

They truly are the greatest generation. I'm sorry to hear about both of your losses.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Now that is how I want to be remembered. Sorry for the loss.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    They truly are the greatest generation and they are becoming the greatest late generation all too quickly (estimates of 1000 per day have been given). Be proud of what he helped accomplish during those years as well as his entire life. Honor him by trying to live a better life than he did. Live in such a way that you are remembered as his son, a man who carried the ball from where your father handed it off to you. My father was a WWII vet who passed in 2002 and everytime I hear of another it brings a tear to my eye. My wife and I send our condelences and will pray the good Lord gives you the strength needed take that ball down the field a little further.

Sorry for your loss, but glad that you have a rememberance of such a special man. We should all be so lucky so as to be remembered in such a positive way.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    My condolences.
    Remember him for the good man and great father that he was.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I am sorry for being so late, but please know that my thoughts are with you and your family.

Feel free to send me a PM, or phone call. Take care and stay safe,

Biker

Sorry for your loss They just don't make family men like that any more

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    They truly are the greatest generation and they are becoming the greatest late generation all too quickly (estimates of 1000 per day have been given). Be proud of what he helped accomplish during those years as well as his entire life. Honor him by trying to live a better life than he did. Live in such a way that you are remembered as his son, a man who carried the ball from where your father handed it off to you. My father was a WWII vet who passed in 2002 and everytime I hear of another it brings a tear to my eye. My wife and I send our condelences and will pray the good Lord gives you the strength needed take that ball down the field a little further.
    ^^^^^^^+1000^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"When you were born you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die you are smiling and everyone around you is crying."

^^^Sounds like this is the kind of man he was^^^^^^^^^^

God Bless you and yours
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links