Brigade Gun Leather feedback...

This is a discussion on Brigade Gun Leather feedback... within the Brigade GunLeather forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; I understand and I'm sorry. I was trying to be a jerk. Because I'm childish and have limited critical thinking skills....

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Brigade Gun Leather feedback...

I understand and I'm sorry. I was trying to be a jerk. Because I'm childish and have limited critical thinking skills.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymax View Post
    I understand and I'm sorry. I was trying to be a jerk. Because I'm childish and have limited critical thinking skills.
    Just don't make a habit of it.

I understand and please forgive me. I just feel that Brigade gets ragged on sometimes; unrightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by EdFJr View Post
    TO ALL & FYI:
    MY FIRST ORDER FROM BRIGADE CAME 3-4 MTHS IN 2004

THIS IS MY 2nd ORDER;
    ORDERED - 17 MAY 2011.......[WAS TOLD 6 MONTHS]
    CREDIT CARD CHARGED - 08 MARCH 2012
    TODAY: - 29 MARCH 2012 - STILL ""NO"" GUN LEATHER !!

EdFJr
    Ed and everyone else,

I understand your frustration. However, as a one-man custom holster maker myself, I also know very well the situation Troy is in. Crafting top quality, handmade, custom leather holsters takes a lot of time and there's not a lot you can do to speed up the process. When you make an outstanding product, like Troy does, word of mouth spreads fast and the orders can pile up faster than you can fill them, and sometimes faster than you can refuse them. Emails and phone calls come in faster than you can answer them (many times in long drawn-out back and forth correspondence) which takes LOTS of time to handle, which keeps you away from the work bench, which delays orders, which brings more emails and calls, which further delays the work.

So you spend every waking minute stitching, and gluing, and dyeing, and burnishing...early in the morning and late into the night. You're sleep deprived, stressed, and your personal life and family relationships suffer for lack of quality time because you're constantly working to catch up on orders. And to compound the stress, you've got customers understandably upset by their delayed orders, and trashing you and your reputation all over the internet, which CRUSHES you, because you're killing yourself to try to deliver what you promised... you just got in over your head.

The simple truth is that great artists make poor businessmen. Those gifted with the ability to create beauty are almost never very good at managing the resulting demand for, or rewards of their work. It's very difficult to scale true artisanship up to large operation.

Please keep that in mind and extend a healthy dose of grace to your favorite artisan. None of them are in cahoots to rip you off to get rich (If we were that smart, we wouldn't be working in leather!).

If you need a holster right NOW, buy an off the shelf holster from one of the many quality manufacturers. If you love a holster maker's work and want a handmade, custom piece of their craftsmanship, chances are it's going to take a long time, and delivery times may be only guesses at this point, despite their best intentions. The gun industry as a whole, somehow, works this way. Manufacturers and distributors are all back ordered right now and can't tell dealers when their orders might be filled. Colt, AAC, Daniel Defense, Ruger, Magpul... many are in that boat right now. The demand for guns and holsters and ammo, etc. is outpacing supply.

I have no stake in this and I don't know Troy personally, but I've corresponded with him once or twice on the forums. I also want to make very clear that I'm not speaking up to garner any holster business for myself. I'm not taking orders right now because I just started a demanding new day job (Leather work doesn't pay much, by the way!) and I'm backed up on orders myself.

Everybody be cool.
    AR15VSCoyote and bmnbmn like this.

redbeardsong.....Thanks for the post. It really put into perspective the difficulties the typical small shop, custom holster make has to endure. Unfortunately, the fast and cheap mentality has bitten the custom holsters makers too. There is nothing like a custom made holster. Period. You don't know what you don't know. End of story. Good luck with your new job.

I think somebody could have a sex change and have it reversed in the time these guys put out product.

Thank you folks....I'll be here all week. Or perhaps deleted sooner than I think.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Okemo.. What do you suggest? Mexican carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    I think somebody could have a sex change and have it reversed in the time these guys put out product.

Thank you folks....I'll be here all week. Or perhaps deleted sooner than I think.
    Maybe, but I bet the holster is prettier! Zing!

LOL. Funny how guys will cheap out on a holster (not to mention the belt) after spending $$$'s on a pistol.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdFJr View Post
    SORRY......JUST JOINED TODAY, NO PICS.........# 1 WAS FOR S&W 40CAL .......VERY, VERY
    NICE ! 2nd ONE FOR S&W 1911 45 ...........HE'S ALREADY CHARGED MY CARD ON
    08 MAR'12 & GOT TRACKING ####### TO NO WHERE !!!!!!!!!!HE'S GOT THE $$$$,
    I'VE GOT N O T H I N G................

EdFJr
    March 8 to March 29, that's all? Wow, are you impatient. I waited 3 years.

LOL. Funny how guys will cheap out on a holster (not to mention the belt) after spending $$$'s on a pistol.
    I have a good disposable income and will/do/have spent a lot on holsters and belts. I don't cheap out. And I've never done business with the company in question. But I do question 8 to 10 months back log. If this is true that's NUTS. If it's not true then some people have some explaining to do.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Not crazy if you have that many people placing orders. You can only physically make so many holsters in a week. Based on Troy's statement that he's delivered 12,000 holsters in the 16 years he's been in business, that's an average of about 15 per week. He probably started out slower, and is faster now, so maybe he can crank out 18 or 20 per week now (that's a lot, believe it or not! I manage 1-2 per week in the evenings). At 20 holsters per week, ten months out would mean 800 pending orders.
    Holster customers often purchase again, and tell friends who purchase. One holster I made for a customer, led to seven more holsters between him and his friends and family. There are 56,000 members on this forum and 115,000 members on 1911forum.com, not to mention all the other forums out there. With that broad an exposure, and after delivering 12000 holsters, it's not at all unbelievable that he would have 800 new orders lined up. As a comparison, Milt Sparks (which has a staff of several craftsmen, I believe) has a current backlog of 5-6 months.
    Cuchulain and bmnbmn like this.

SORRY GUYS ! I'M A ONE EYED OLD MAN & NEW @ THIS MY FIRST EVER POST...........
    MY FIRST ORDER IN 2004 WAS THE BRIGADE M - 3 FOR THE S&W 40 CAL WHICH I DON'T
    CARRY........IT'S HOME BACK UP.........THE ,NOW 11 MTHS LATER , ORDER # 2 IS
    FOR ANOTHER M - 3, BUT FOR MY NEW S&W 45ACP..........

THIS WORK,
    EdFJr

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    Ed and everyone else,

I understand your frustration. However, as a one-man custom holster maker myself, I also know very well the situation Troy is in. Crafting top quality, handmade, custom leather holsters takes a lot of time and there's not a lot you can do to speed up the process. When you make an outstanding product, like Troy does, word of mouth spreads fast and the orders can pile up faster than you can fill them, and sometimes faster than you can refuse them. Emails and phone calls come in faster than you can answer them (many times in long drawn-out back and forth correspondence) which takes LOTS of time to handle, which keeps you away from the work bench, which delays orders, which brings more emails and calls, which further delays the work.

So you spend every waking minute stitching, and gluing, and dyeing, and burnishing...early in the morning and late into the night. You're sleep deprived, stressed, and your personal life and family relationships suffer for lack of quality time because you're constantly working to catch up on orders. And to compound the stress, you've got customers understandably upset by their delayed orders, and trashing you and your reputation all over the internet, which CRUSHES you, because you're killing yourself to try to deliver what you promised... you just got in over your head.

The simple truth is that great artists make poor businessmen. Those gifted with the ability to create beauty are almost never very good at managing the resulting demand for, or rewards of their work. It's very difficult to scale true artisanship up to large operation.

Please keep that in mind and extend a healthy dose of grace to your favorite artisan. None of them are in cahoots to rip you off to get rich (If we were that smart, we wouldn't be working in leather!).

If you need a holster right NOW, buy an off the shelf holster from one of the many quality manufacturers. If you love a holster maker's work and want a handmade, custom piece of their craftsmanship, chances are it's going to take a long time, and delivery times may be only guesses at this point, despite their best intentions. The gun industry as a whole, somehow, works this way. Manufacturers and distributors are all back ordered right now and can't tell dealers when their orders might be filled. Colt, AAC, Daniel Defense, Ruger, Magpul... many are in that boat right now. The demand for guns and holsters and ammo, etc. is outpacing supply.

I have no stake in this and I don't know Troy personally, but I've corresponded with him once or twice on the forums. I also want to make very clear that I'm not speaking up to garner any holster business for myself. I'm not taking orders right now because I just started a demanding new day job (Leather work doesn't pay much, by the way!) and I'm backed up on orders myself.

Everybody be cool.
    VERY WELL PUT, THANKS & I WISH YOU WELL.............
    BUT !! AFTER11 MTHS & STILL NO HAND MADE GUNLEATHER..........
    EdFJr

-----------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATED
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigadeGunLeather View Post
    Ed, I noticed that you never posted the story of what happened after you recieved the holster in the wrong color. In my haste I made you the holster and pouch and then when you told me about it I offered the following to you:

Because of my haste in getting it shipped the first time and for the trouble you of course can absolutely keep both holsters and mag pouches. Kinda like buy one holster and mag pouch and get the second set free.

I know that folks mostly just focus on the negative howerver, in this case as always I go above and beyond to satisfy customers. I sent him a whole new order (the correct color) within a week of the first one that I sent him. I told him to keep both and not to ship it back, this way he would have a black set and brown set. I also offered him 10% off on any future order.... to which he promptly place an order for a belt. I worked on Sundays to get it done earlier than normal and that belt will be delivered today
    9410803699300031321855 www.usps.com.

So just to clarify.... after making the wrong color of holster and belt, he got to keep that and I shipped him a new correct one. That's one free holster and pouch and then an expedited 10% off belt.

Ed, let me know how that belt works out for you as well and I am glad you returned to place a second order with me.
    Thanks for taking the time to read

Sincerely,
    -Troy Harp
    Last edited by BrigadeGunLeather; June 15th, 2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: UPDATED

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    march 8 to march 29, that's all? Wow, are you impatient. I waited 3 years.
    17 may 2011 - 30 march 2012 !!

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast