Sacred order - do you know it?

This is a discussion on Sacred order - do you know it? within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; How many are familiar with the sacred order concept? The sacred order is the order of priorities in a survival situation that contribute toward the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Sacred order - do you know it?

VIP Member

How many are familiar with the sacred order concept?

The sacred order is the order of priorities in a survival situation that contribute toward the possibility of coming thru an event in ok shape. The order in listed in priority below.

1) Shelter
    2) Water
    3) Fire
    4) Food

Shelter is the single most important thing. More people die from exposure in the outdoors than any other cause. Even the well-equipped misjudge or panic, though sometimes well equipped, die from exposure to the elements.

Water is important to a functioning body and mind. Dehydrate and bad things happen. It is far better to drink untreated water than to not drink at all.

Fire is an important tool for warmth, water purification, cooking, and making tools. Fire also has a deeply comforting psychological aspect for humans.

Food. Who doesn't like to eat. Survival situations increase demands on the body. Significantly. Those calories need to be replenished.
    msgt/ret, Hopyard, Aceoky and 8 others like this.

VIP Member
    That brings back memories of USAF Survival School back in 1980. I remember the instructor telling us that without water most people would last only three days and you can go without food for twenty-one days (some of us have reserves that will last longer). We had ¼ of a parachute but with just a little ingenuity it was amazing how many warm and dry shelters you could construct with available materials and just a knife.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    That brings back memories of USAF Survival School back in 1980. I remember the instructor telling us that without water most people would last only three days and you can go without food for twenty-one days (some of us have reserves that will last longer). We had ¼ of a parachute but with just a little ingenuity it was amazing how many warm and dry shelters you could construct with available materials and just a knife.
    I went through USAF Survival School a couple of years after you did and can attest to what you said! I almost lost a toe to frostbite (I went through in Feb) we had to make our own snowshoes LOL! I wonder if it has changed much since I went through?
    QKShooter likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Administrator
    3 Minutes Without Air
    3 Hours Without Shelter
    3 Days Without Water
    3 Weeks Without Food
    3 Years Without Mother-In-Law
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    Master Sergeant I went through Navy SERE and we got a half of a parachute but it was held at Warner springs and the same hungry guys had beat that dirt for ten years. The word got out and ants even walked around Warner springs instead of across it. I have a smile on my face remembering what they taught me not so much on how they taught me. We heard survival school for the Air Force was living without a pool and golf course is that true? May God protect and care for the Para Rescue troops.

Merry Christmas to you. The first thing I want is a good strong heavy survival knife with it shelter becomes easier. Water is next and fire just feels good. Food is the tricky one the eating something that looks a lot like another edible plant you are down for the count. Make sure you know what you are eating or pass it by. And never ever let your dog run free near a survival school.
    QKShooter, msgt/ret and Aceoky like this.

Senior Moderator
    1) Shelter
    2) Water
    3) Fire
    4) Food
    The order of priority's is entirely dependent on the circumstances at hand.

For instance, on a summer night, water might be immediately more important than shelter.
    You can go a long way without food, but not long without water.

Shelter is good, but only if you intend to stay in one place. Otherwise you improvise and use what you have.

Fire is great, but not necessarily needed.

Now change it to a cold winter night with snow on the ground.
    First shelter. Then fire. Then water. Then food.

If any one circumstance changes, then the priority's change.

And if we are being evasive, then lighting a fire might be very risky. Even so, there are ways to minimize detection.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator

If any one circumstance changes, then the priority's change.<<<~~~

"Now change it to a cold winter night with snow on the ground.
    First shelter. Then fire. Then water. Then food."

Ditto but,:
    If...you are soaking wet and the weather is COLD (as above) then FIRE could easily nab the #1 top spot because avoiding impending more immediate hypothermia would be the numero uno concern taking priority over even shelter, then water, & lastly food.

Which is WHY depending on where you are, the weather conditions, and what time of year it is...ideally you need at least one way to make fire quickly.

Due to the fact that some of slower and more primitive means of making fire could have you either dead or "as good as" before that fire ever happens.
    JDE101, msgt/ret, Aceoky and 2 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    That's why it important to have at least one of these in every pack...

mUMyyg2VV81D8CBKqrzSLYQ.jpg

You can get them on Ebay cheap. There is no excuse not to have one.
    Aceoky, QKShooter and msgt/ret like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Why I have several ways to quickly start a fire in ANY condition and some great tinder is worth it's weight IMO (cotton balls soaked in Vaseline are not very heavy and burn quite awhile and pretty hot as well)
    msgt/ret, HotGuns, ccw9mm and 1 others like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Senior Moderator
    I've used that trick myself. I've carried many a film can full of vaselined cotton balls over the years.

Now I just use Trioxane.
    Aceoky, ccw9mm and rocky like this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    Why I have several ways to quickly start a fire in ANY condition and some great tinder is worth it's weight IMO (cotton balls soaked in Vaseline are not very heavy and burn quite awhile and pretty hot as well)
    I used to carry cotton balls soaked in paraffin in a couple of 35MM film cans a lot less messy than Vaseline. We used to have wax impregnated cotton earplugs on the airplane, made great fire starters also.
    Aceoky likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    I never saw the advantage of DRYER LINT over Cotton Balls.
    Yes, I know that Dryer Lint is FREE but, Cotton Balls are not exactly made out of GOLD and the 429 of them that you are not treating with Vaseline have many other uses around the house.

I like to splurge and spend the .49 Cents and buy the generic Cotton Balls.
    atctimmy, Brad426, Aceoky and 2 others like this.

Vaseline covered cotton balls has always been a reliable option. I used to stock the military trioxane until I saw Weber grills come out with the lighter cubes. They will light wet.

Search Amazon for Weber 7417 Lighter Cubes. Get a 24 pack for $3.50.

Great for getting the briquettes hot in a charcoal chimney or for emerg. fire starters.

A good knife is the number one tool I hope to have should I be back in a survival situation. My "seal-pup" is a worthy companion!
    Aceoky likes this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I find this thread extremely interesting as I have never been in the service (I regret that the older I get) so as a novice, I have to ask. What is that thing hot guns is holding?? Is it a flint or something? I love the cotton ball tip.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CCIE33560 View Post
    I find this thread extremely interesting as I have never been in the service (I regret that the older I get) so as a novice, I have to ask. What is that thing hot guns is holding?? Is it a flint or something? I love the cotton ball tip.
    Ferrocerium rod. Some come with Magnesium and some are just a Ferro rod. You do not always need the magnesium.
    Sometimes it helps to have it.

Here...I found this short VID on YouTube.

CCIE33560 and Aceoky like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links