Getting New Day Pack - is this a good option?

This is a discussion on Getting New Day Pack - is this a good option? within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I am in the market for a sturdy, cheap (under $50) day pack to replace my current, travel-worn pack. I saw this on eBay ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By pittypat21
  • 2 Post By TX expat
  • 2 Post By rocky
  • 3 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Getting New Day Pack - is this a good option?

So I am in the market for a sturdy, cheap (under $50) day pack to replace my current, travel-worn pack. I saw this on eBay daily deals, but have no experience with this particular brand.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/350682346349?nav=RVI&sbk=1

Any thoughts or alternate suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Don't know anything about that one but I'd have a look at the Fieldline bags that Walmart carries, or used to anyway. They had some 5.11 knockoffs that seemed OK given how inexpensive they were. The Rush 12 knockoff was something like $20 and the 24 was $35 or so. Only reason I recommend checking them out is I know Fieldline has a lifetime warranty so if it craps out early, you could get it replaced. Although by the time you paid the shipping, it probably be as economical to just buy a new one.

What's the purpose of the bag? Personally I avoid the military/tactical stuff for actual carry bags. I have one similar to your link that stays in my trunk with some basic first aid/tools/reflective vest type of junk. Since it's not for carry, I can actually utilize the molle webbing for stuff. For EDC, or as close as I actually get to it, I carry one of these:

High Sierra Loop Daypack - eBags.com

It's got plenty of pockets for organization and it holds way more stuff than I've ever needed it to. Plus, it fits with my philosophy of blend in and be uninteresting.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I bought a pack identical to this but under a different brand name at a local gun store six months ago. I am delighted with the quality, size, and options the pack offers. I paid $40 and feel like I got a good deal.

The padded shoulder straps and waist belt harness is comfortable to use and tucks out of the way so you can if you want, carry the pack by the sturdy handle at the top. I have carried my laptop, mouse, and cords in the largest compartment easily and still had plenty of room for other gear.

I bought a black one because it is inconspicuous. That color is difficult for prying eyes to see through the windows of a locked car. Black is also not a color that draws attention when you are carrying it around. I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but camouflage patterns draw too much attention to suite me.

Loaded out my pack weighs about 20 pounds. I have it set up as a combination get home bag and gear bag. I'm delighted with the quality, functionality, and size. I hope this helps.

It seems like it'd work, not only as a day pack, but as a 3-day pack, even - if loaded correctly, of course.

I don't know anything about polyester to know if there are certain types that are better than others, or other materials that are better than 600D polyester, but as long as it's not something that's going to rip at the seams or tear anywhere else, it looks to me like it should work just fine.

Personally, I would probably get something slightly smaller for just a day pack, but this thing would do the trick for EDC or as a 3-day pack, in my opinion.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Don't know anything about that one but I'd have a look at the Fieldline bags that Walmart carries, or used to anyway. They had some 5.11 knockoffs that seemed OK given how inexpensive they were. The Rush 12 knockoff was something like $20 and the 24 was $35 or so. Only reason I recommend checking them out is I know Fieldline has a lifetime warranty so if it craps out early, you could get it replaced. Although by the time you paid the shipping, it probably be as economical to just buy a new one.

What's the purpose of the bag? Personally I avoid the military/tactical stuff for actual carry bags. I have one similar to your link that stays in my trunk with some basic first aid/tools/reflective vest type of junk. Since it's not for carry, I can actually utilize the molle webbing for stuff. For EDC, or as close as I actually get to it, I carry one of these:

It's got plenty of pockets for organization and it holds way more stuff than I've ever needed it to. Plus, it fits with my philosophy of blend in and be uninteresting.
    I'd be looking for something that's more of an in-between style. Something with stronger, more resistant material than the High Sierra, but something less conspicuous than a tactical pack.

I think the pack that the OP linked too is probably fine because it's black, instead of any kind of camouflage. A black backpack is pretty inconspicuous. Though, all the straps and loops everywhere draws some attention. But I don't think it's too bad. And I personally like packs with MOLLE webbing.

It might be an EDC bag, but having something that will double as a BOB and will resist the elements is mandatory, in my opinion.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post

It's going to be for hiking, camping, and a get home bag.

I'm not going to get it in camo, though; they have it available in several other colors.

I'll have to check out the Wally World bag.

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    It's going to be for hiking, camping, and a get home bag.

I'm not going to get it in camo, though; they have it available in several other colors.

I'll have to check out the Wally World bag.

Ah, OK. Well for hiking and camping the molle stuff might have some use. If it's going to be loaded down, I'd probably be leery of anything too cheap. I know the trunk bag I have wouldn't be comfortable enough for carrying it all day under with a full load. I guess it just depends on your level of tolerance and/or the weight of the stuff you want to carry in it!

Good luck in your search!
    Aceoky and pittypat21 like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Lead Moderator
    What type of camping? For day hikes it would probably work ok, for honking in where are you going to put a sleeping bag ? I use one similar for hunting /hiking. The various pockets / compartments make organization great. Durability of the cheaper packs tends to be hit or miss though. Poor stitching and weaker materials don't always hold up.
    Aceoky and QKShooter like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I would probably spend more and at least go with a MAXPEDITION and here is why.

If you buy a no-name pack then basicaally you are stuck with it should you ever decide to upgrade or say eventually opt for a 3 Day.

If you buy a MAXPEDITION and you keep it in decent shape then you can usually always get half your money back if you sell it used.

You can grab a MAX Pygmy Falcon II for $98. and free shipping on ebay which would be a DAY PACK that you at least know will have decent quality zippers and stitching and a harness system that will not fail on you.

What I WOULD DO before you fork out your hard earned $$$ for a pack is decide ahead of time exactly what you'll want to put in it.

Set it all up on the the floor or a table and shuffle everything around so that you can at least determine how many cubic inches of space you'll need for your basic stuff.

Then you'll want to factor in a bit more space for everything that you forgot.

Then shop around for a suitable size quality pack.

In most cases I think folks are probably better off opting for a 3 DAY & then you can always download it and use the compression straps to pull it all in tighter.

Really I think if folks are going to be hiking out and backpacking in colder or inclement weather they are almost always better off with a 3 DAY.

And then what about hydration? A Pack with a hydration bladder is always a nice plus if you don't want to be fooling around with canteens and water bottles.

Really I can't offer up too much more advice since I am not familiar with your exact lifestyle.

If you are looking for a day pack because you are going to be taking it to class and sitting on the bus and/or whatever then you might really need a smaller 1 DAY pack and a 3 DAY might be a bit much.

Really though that pack that you are looking at does not show it internally - does not state if it is hydration compatible - I would probably pass on it and save up a bit more money. I am thinking that pack is almost like buying a generic holster from some obscure maker.

Though outwardly it does not look too bad.

But, if it was originally $99 retail...and it's now being sold for $36 and FREE SHIPPING - I'd hafta ask myself WHY?
    Rock and Glock, Aceoky and rocky like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links