Flint & Steel

This is a discussion on Flint & Steel within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Flint & Steel

Flint & Steel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

2. Remove Ads

Cool. Thanks, Ace.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, Peace and safety! then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Administrator
    If you folks have not ever made any char cloth...make some!
    Play around with some different types of all cotton materials because some will hold together better than others.
    Double weight 100% Cotton T-Shirt material works very well and tends to stay together better AKA it's less brittle.
    Don't try to make too much at one time. 5 or 6 squares (or rectangles) of cloth in an Altoids tin is about right.
    If you want to make it at home then you can use a propane torch to heat the tin.
    Hold it with a pair of pliers.
    Or if you are grilling out - don't waste those charcoal briquettes after the hot dogs, burgers, and steaks are done.
    Pop the Altoids tin on your hot coals and your char cloth will make itself.
    Punch a hole in the top of the tin and then just watch the smoke spill out.
    Don't make it inside on the stove top because making it generates a lot of smoke.
    As soon as the smoke stops then stop heating the tin and then just let it cool down.
    You have just made char cloth.

Char cloth is neat stuff because you only need one single tiny spark to start it going.
    I don't keep any in the B.O.B. but, I have some made and tucked away for if ever want go Neanderthal camping.

If I am going general camping when everything is pretty damp I always have a couple of sticks of Fat Lighter with me (also called Fat Wood or Pine Lighter or Pine Knot) and I just slice and shave off some of that and use one of my own Ferrocerium fire starters and VIOLA! No Hassle...Fire!

The Fat Lighter burns hot enough and long enough to get damp stuff going nicely.

But, it is good to have the knowledge of lots of ways to make fire under your belt.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    You can make char out of most organic materials, but QK has described the easiest method above.

Many of my worn cotton t-shirts have turned into fire starting char. Just try and make sure the shirts are 100% cotton for best results. Synthetics don't work worth squat!!
    Aceoky and QKShooter like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I keep a small mint tin in my bag that I use for keeping my char cloth and flint/steel. It's just one of those rectangular mint tins I picked up in the grocery store checkout isle. Just poke a hole in the lid with a SAK and poof...done.
    20131228_092316_sm.jpg20131228_092346_sm.jpg20131228_093029_sm.jpg20131228_093051_sm.jpg
    Aceoky and JDE101 like this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    You can make char out of most organic materials, but QK has described the easiest method above.

Many of my worn cotton t-shirts have turned into fire starting char. Just try and make sure the shirts are 100% cotton for best results. Synthetics don't work worth squat!!
    My old worn out jeans work as well... I just cut out a few lengths of rectangles out of my last pair of completely worn out jeans to fit my mint tin.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Really nice video. Good to see him, again. Dual Survival has never been as good since he left!!
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Administrator
    OHIO Flint is really good stuff for primitive Flint Steel fire making. Just FYI.

I know a person that goes out and collects really great Flint in OHIO - maybe I will have him send me a box of it and then I can make it available to members that want some.
    Aceoky and Badey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    OHIO Flint is really good stuff for primitive Flint Steel fire making. Just FYI.

I know a person that goes out and collects really great Flint in OHIO - maybe I will have him send me a box of it and then I can make it available to members that want some.
    Interesting. I can't get much of anything around here where I live, but about 40 miles east at my folks place I used to pick up fiery orange jasper in the local creek. That stuff seems to spark up ok. I have a load of flint from texas that I got from a relative when they lived there and that seems to work well. I still have a few pieces I picked up in England that seemed to work well too. Man that stuff is everywhere over there. Seemed like most of the stone structures in the countryside were full of it.

I have an acquaintance that lives a good ways further down the shenandoah from me that apparently has a ton of jasper all over their yard. I've been trying to get them to have their kids just set it aside whenever they find it playing in the yard. They must have a seam or something down there. We're both on the Shenandoah and there's about 30 miles between us. They have lots of jasper. I got mud.
    Aceoky, QKShooter and NONAME762 like this.

-The Mist (2007)

If you're using it for the fun factor, cool.

If you're packing flint and steel for survival purposes...get a lighter. Or better yet...two lighters.

:O
    TN_Mike likes this.

Lighters and matches don't always work (wet / wind/extreme cold etc. ) and they're expendable eventually they are used up, flint and steel, ferro rods etc. last MUCH longer , for a weekend trip I agree IF that weekend trip turns into MUCH longer I would suggest having other means and knowing How to Use them to get a fire in any condition- the life you save will likely be your own.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

True. How about one of each...char cloth and lighter. Even an empty lighter still makes a spark.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Administrator
    You can get char cloth going from just a BIC type butane lighter spark AKA an empty lighter. Just FYI.
    Aceoky and ugh762x39 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ugh762x39 View Post
    True. How about one of each...char cloth and lighter. Even an empty lighter still makes a spark.
    I carry several Bic lighters, matches, ferro rods, magnesium, char cloth, Vaseline soaked cotton balls, and some empty bics along with patches to make more char cloth IF needed.

Fire is far too important IMO to not be as prepared as possible,
    ugh762x39 and NONAME762 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grbr View Post
    If you're using it for the fun factor, cool.

If you're packing flint and steel for survival purposes...get a lighter. Or better yet...two lighters.

:O
    heh... No kidding. I plan for just about everything. I always have a lighter on me, keep a lighter and matches in each pack along with a flint and steel kit. Lighters fail, matches get wet. Stuff happens.
    Aceoky and QKShooter like this.

-The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links