Defensive Carry banner

"WROL" What to do? WHat would YOU do?

22K views 255 replies 57 participants last post by  poetdante 
#1 ·
Let's play "what if" shall we ?

Whatever the cause/reason (economic collapse etc. etc. ) the grid is down, there is No Rule of law , our present system no longer is in place or working at all- Additionally "they" are going door to door removing folks from their home (think Katrina here) so "bugging in" is not a viable option (particularly in the cities which are all "war zones" anyway) There is NO food or other stuff moving - stores are totally empty and no one working them, the "SHTF" in most major ways and it is not likely to get any better for let's say 3 years or so.

Depending on your location perhaps the Rockies or Smokey Mountains (remember no rangers to protect you there either )

What to do? What would YOU do? How many would make their own way and not depend on the gooberment to "save them" , feed them etc.?

Some will say - it can't happen HERE - anything can happen anywhere at any time, I'd bet some thought the USA would never see civil war at one time.

What say ye?

See less See more
#10 ·
Then it will be far too late, then - IF you're not awake now- probably no point to bother afterward IMHO

I find it "interesting" you think this is some "dream/illusion " or whatever (impossible to happen) the recent events in other countries have proved how very real this is and can be. You think folks are "out of control" on "Black Friday" to save a few $$$ just realize how they Will act when their very survival is at risk (and of their children)

#9 ·
NOT an (option I'm ready or willing to embrace)

#6 ·
I live on a ranch so not the same as others.
I truly worry about our electrical grid. This whole system relies on computer driven balance and distribution. Thinking a third world country could buy a virus from a developed nation and deploy it in the US.
Natural disasters we are getting better at as time goes on.

collapse of the financial world worries me I am retired and rely on my check arriving each month. If financial collapse occurred and my savings are lost and my retirement is gone the short fall for me is salt. I have 100 pounds on hand but that will go quickly when I start preserving meat. Your article on acorns is in my bag I will become a hunter gatherer. Small birds and rabbits that do not require preserving and make one meal are my food of choice.

We have wood heat and cooking and 100 gallons of kerosene for lamps and other uses can be used as diesel fuel if needed. Water is a spring fed stock pond and a few bass. If it comes at winter preservation is easy and killing a couple of sheep gets me through. No vegetables in the pantry past four weeks and nothing to hunt or gather with snow neck deep to a tall giraffe. I have 2K Pounds of red hard wheat and a hand operated grinder. making flat cakes is subsistence but sure not what I could gain weight on. 50 pounds of sugar will make syrup and keep my sweet tooth settled. My big worry is coffee I am addicted and only have 10 pounds at any time on hand.

#8 ·
Some VERY good points made IMHO !

I believe we (as a whole) take way too much for "granted" it's been there so much we don't even take the time to imagine "what if" (for example) the power grid goes down and stays down (for any reason) We are used to the stores staying stocked- how many do not realize that in 3 days that would not be the case (MAX)???

#7 ·
Our grid and for that matter the controls systems for most of out power/water plants etc is crap imop it has been breach over and over agin it would not take much . Never mind a emp or mass ejection.

I live in a small town lot of farm land and a lot of empty land. We dont have natural problems in this part of the state ( dust storms and snow storms are not here ) so we would not talking a natural distart situation

If we are talking end of the world / red dawn etc . God help anyone trying to take this state we have about 4 +armed state militras under the governors controls and I know thanks to J&g most any one and there son in this part of the state has AR and AK a plenty and a lot of veteran out here it would not be a good day ..

I dont like to say too much on my planes needless to say I am ready for what my come....

This is imop the good part of the state to bug out to..

Reactions: Aceoky
#11 ·
Our grid and for that matter the controls systems for most of out power/water plants etc is crap imop it has been breach over and over agin it would not take much . Never mind a emp or mass ejection.

I live in a small town lot of farm land and a lot of empty land. We dont have natural problems in this part of the state ( dust storms and snow storms are not here ) so we would not talking a natural distart situation

If we are talking end of the world / red dawn etc . God help anyone trying to take this state we have about 4 +armed state militras under the governors controls and I know thanks to J&g most any one and there son in this part of the state has AR and AK a plenty and a lot of veteran out here it would not be a good day ..

I dont like to say too much on my planes needless to say I am ready for what my come

This is imop the good part of the state to bug out to..
RE: in Bold - wise indeed, that being said I'd not expect anyone to "get specific" but with how things are going I think this is a great topic to ponder

#12 ·
I live near a river, my goal would be to secure a location on the side of the river and set up camp with 24/7 security (armed) so that I have a dependable water source (easy to make safe to drink). I'd then go from there to aquire food and medical supplies as necessary.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

#13 ·
There have been lots of "What if" scenarios posed on this forum and others and there is really no hard and fast answer to any of them.

It is quite true that our tightly interwoven system of supply and demand is not much more than a house of cards. It wouldn't take much to bring it all down. Individual events (such as Katrina) tend to be localized and while terrible enough for those directly affected, do not pose much of a threat to the entire nation or world. It would most likely take an event on a global scale to bring down our system here in the US. A global event would probably be either an economic collapse or all-out warfare. Total war seems unlikely as all parties have much to much to lose, but some kind of wide-scale economic collapse could happen anytime. When all of the fuel, electricity, and food supplies dry up (in a very short time), then any kind of 'Law and Order' idea is out the window and it would quickly become every man for himself. (Katrina comes to mind here as well).

If something like that happens, then each of us needs to make a personal decision on just how to proceed. Believe me, there won't be a consensus. Some people will run to the protection of the government. Personally, I tend to think this is a mistake, as we all saw how the government reacted during Katrina, and again later in the immediate aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombing. More than a little heavy-handed, to say the least. Other people may elect to go it alone. Some might do OK, others will quickly perish. Still other people may form into small, mutually protective groups. Neighborhoods might do something like that perhaps. If that happens, then local leadership would quickly become a central issue.

I think I'll keep my intentions to myself for the time being and make sure that I have some kind of plan in place and enough supplies saved to at least see me get started on my plan.

#14 ·
Put it like this . Look up starfish prime in the 60s and that was pre computer now imagine that today ..

#15 ·
I think I'll keep my intentions to myself for the time being and make sure that I have some kind of plan in place and enough supplies saved to at least see me get started on my plan.

I like how you phrased that! Having some plans depending on what will work AT The Time (depending on exactly what is happening and how quickly )is very important in my view, that being said it is hard for me to imagine anyone here (especially) willing to be placed in "camps"

#178 ·
I like how you phrased that! AT The Time it is hard for me to imagine anyone here (especially) willing to be placed in "camps"
The American RED CROSS is a private organization not supported by the US GOVT. As I understand it the Red Cross is supported by donations from regular folks. The Red Cross made it to Katrina and was set up and helping folks within 72 hours.

It took FEMA 7 DAYS TO GET ON STATION AT KATRINA.
That's despicable. Totally unacceptable. Bravo Sierra.

#18 ·
I'm trying to think of possible scenarios where EVERYTHING could fall apart like you projected and all I can imagine are events like a rift volcano/supervolcano ie Yellowstone or perhaps an asteroid strike

If something like that happens you can't plan and you will live or die entirely by cold, unfeeling chance

If "they" are showing up and attempting to evacuate people then "they" may know a lot more about the situation than you do

#22 ·
Actually I can think of several things that could make this take place (though that does include the ones you mention I suppose)

I'm trying to think of possible scenarios where EVERYTHING could fall apart like you projected and all I can imagine are events like a rift volcano/supervolcano ie Yellowstone or perhaps an asteroid strike

If something like that happens you can't plan and you will live or die entirely by cold, unfeeling chance

If "they" are showing up and attempting to evacuate people then "they" may know a lot more about the situation than you do

Fine by me if you Trust "they" 100% , clearly several of us do not nor do we intend to do so .

History is full of "they" gathering folks up "for their own safety and protection" - how did that always end up ????

#19 ·
Game will likely be in short supply because everybody is planning on hunting for survival. Things will have settled down after the first few die-offs are over with.

#23 ·
I have heard that pretty often- usually talk about the "Great depression" and the game shortage , we have much more game NOW then they had then , also folks were very good @ hunting for survival as they were already doing it, MOST folks (IMHO) are far too soft to even Try making it a week in the woods without their Iphones etc. Most folks have no clue how to hunt now and it isn't something you can "just do" on any level .

Those of us who have hunted/fished all our lives and are pretty good at it IMO are the exception and not the rule .

Reactions: ErnieNWillis
#20 ·
I think excessive rule of law is a much more likely possibility in any scenario, but my plans are the same regardless.

Bug in if I can, bug out if I can't bug in; take care of me and mine. Help those in my community that I can, and collaborate with those in my neighborhood to keep peace in our neck of the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
G. Gordon Liddy wrote about this back in the 1980s (IIRC) in a magazine article called A Memo To The President. He specifically isolated the substations as being particularly vulnerable. Replacement time was measured in months to years. I have no idea what the status would be now. Hopefully this has been addressed.

If you want to get an idea what it could be like, examine what the conditions were at the collapse of the Soviet Union. Trainloads of food at location "A" but the fuel to operate them at location "B", etc.

Reactions: OD* and Aceoky
#66 ·
Do you have a good reason to take advice from a convict?

Do you have good reason to take advice from
someone, who if he had done his thing where I live under today's laws, could have been justifiably shot dead on the spot?

Actually, I'm not picking on him, or you. There have been more than a few people who have become celebrities after
felony convictions. I find that a strange phenomenon.

#27 ·
How was I not clear on "bolting" BEFORE it comes to that and When (exactly) did I mention "fighting" anyone? As for a body bag they work for both sides of any battle again as history makes quite clear.

Reactions: Yogi223
#29 ·
LOL - well then I bend on over and kiss my rear goodbye I suppose

Though I'm curious how these soldiers with all that managed to A.) Get there before me and no one knew it B.) managed to get all that equipment into the Rocky MTS (or Smokies ) etc. * not a place to land a C-4 C.) Laughing too hard to continue at the moment

I'd imagine the more likely would be troops from China who want the debt paid , but I digress

Then again I have no illusions that my wife and myself are "that important" for any soldiers to "target" much less lie in wait for many months over :image035:

I'd guess they will have their hands full with the out of control cities especially at first declaration of ML - I'm doubting they can secure even major interstates etc. for a good while (whomever "they' gets the job)

Reactions: Darenger
#30 ·
My son operates a nuclear power plant.... 3 years? Is it so bad he quit going to work? If so, hope your plans include a deep hole and a lead box....

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Hopyard
#31 ·
My son operates a nuclear power plant.... 3 years? Is it so bad he quit going to work? If so, hope your plans include a deep hole and a lead box....

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Who knows, could very well be - NO one is going to work in an actual economic collapse (no one loves their jobs enough to work for free AND leave their families at risk doing so) . For just one example- No LEO, no park rangers, no National Guard - NO ONE .... (IMHO)

With the BRIK nations moving away from the US $ - it's not as far fetched as one may think

#32 ·
Yeah well I realize that I was being kind of silly there. The thing is that there are indeed regularly areas in the world WROL. Sometimes those places are war zones, sometimes it's like the narco wars in Mexico. There are some large "Stateless" areas such as Zomia (geography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can it happen here? Maybe

Will your camping and hunting skills help? Probably not

#33 ·
Yeah well I realize that I was being kind of silly there. The thing is that there are indeed regularly areas in the world WROL. Sometimes those places are war zones, sometimes it's like the narco wars in Mexico. There are some large "Stateless" areas such as Zomia (geography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can it happen here? Maybe

Will your camping and hunting skills help? Probably not
Rather have them than to not have 'em , and again, I'm certain it can happen here, but I'm doubting "war zones" in the wilderness because a major part of that is most folks could not make it a week

#34 ·
Any way you slice it my prognosis isn't good. If it happens now, I live in the city. Right now I've got more ammo than food and water which is appropriate since I've probably only have a few weeks until they burned me out. If it happens in a few years I hope to be the lone Yankee firmly ensconced my ancestral farm in the South. Either way its not the best situation to be in when people discover who they really are and what they're capable of.

#36 ·
"My hope" would be those like you without a real plan(s) would reconsider that, IF this thread accomplishes that it has done a great thing IMO

#38 ·
While that is a "nice thought" those in NO (post Katrina) didn't have that choice as I recall . Options would be get out OR be taken out/away

Even IF (somehow) you avoid all that (not likely IMO) you have all those "entitled" folks who will decide to take what you have ........

#39 ·
Some of you folks need a major reality check. There is a high probability you might wind up defending what little you have. You have life insurance and car insurance right? Why? Because there's a very good chance you may need it. Not because you're a bad driver but because of the other idiots on the road. Your gun is only one tool you need for self preservation. Hiding in your house with your "arsenal" is gonna get you killed when the have nots realize you have an arsenal. Please reconsider. Your plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.