"WROL" What to do? WHat would YOU do?

This is a discussion on "WROL" What to do? WHat would YOU do? within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let's play "what if" shall we ? Whatever the cause/reason (economic collapse etc. etc. ) the grid is down, there is No Rule of law ...

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: "WROL" What to do? WHat would YOU do?

Let's play "what if" shall we ?

Whatever the cause/reason (economic collapse etc. etc. ) the grid is down, there is No Rule of law , our present system no longer is in place or working at all- Additionally "they" are going door to door removing folks from their home (think Katrina here) so "bugging in" is not a viable option (particularly in the cities which are all "war zones" anyway) There is NO food or other stuff moving - stores are totally empty and no one working them, the "SHTF" in most major ways and it is not likely to get any better for let's say 3 years or so.

Depending on your location perhaps the Rockies or Smokey Mountains (remember no rangers to protect you there either )

What to do? What would YOU do? How many would make their own way and not depend on the gooberment to "save them" , feed them etc.?

Some will say - it can't happen HERE - anything can happen anywhere at any time, I'd bet some thought the USA would never see civil war at one time.

What say ye?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

I'd wake up.

I already have a reservation at Camp FEMA Zone?
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Most likely I would run up and down the streets of my town shirtless and in ripped purple pants screaming the word "WROL" while doing hulkuesqe muscle poses and overturning light objects in a mindless rage.

Senior Moderator
    It depends.......it really does.

I will do what I need to do to keep my family safe
    Aceoky, Ianthin, OD* and 9 others like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member
    I live on a ranch so not the same as others.
    I truly worry about our electrical grid. This whole system relies on computer driven balance and distribution. Thinking a third world country could buy a virus from a developed nation and deploy it in the US.
    Natural disasters we are getting better at as time goes on.

collapse of the financial world worries me I am retired and rely on my check arriving each month. If financial collapse occurred and my savings are lost and my retirement is gone the short fall for me is salt. I have 100 pounds on hand but that will go quickly when I start preserving meat. Your article on acorns is in my bag I will become a hunter gatherer. Small birds and rabbits that do not require preserving and make one meal are my food of choice.

We have wood heat and cooking and 100 gallons of kerosene for lamps and other uses can be used as diesel fuel if needed. Water is a spring fed stock pond and a few bass. If it comes at winter preservation is easy and killing a couple of sheep gets me through. No vegetables in the pantry past four weeks and nothing to hunt or gather with snow neck deep to a tall giraffe. I have 2K Pounds of red hard wheat and a hand operated grinder. making flat cakes is subsistence but sure not what I could gain weight on. 50 pounds of sugar will make syrup and keep my sweet tooth settled. My big worry is coffee I am addicted and only have 10 pounds at any time on hand.

Our grid and for that matter the controls systems for most of out power/water plants etc is crap imop it has been breach over and over agin it would not take much . Never mind a emp or mass ejection.

I live in a small town lot of farm land and a lot of empty land. We dont have natural problems in this part of the state ( dust storms and snow storms are not here ) so we would not talking a natural distart situation

If we are talking end of the world / red dawn etc . God help anyone trying to take this state we have about 4 +armed state militras under the governors controls and I know thanks to J&g most any one and there son in this part of the state has AR and AK a plenty and a lot of veteran out here it would not be a good day ..

I dont like to say too much on my planes needless to say I am ready for what my come....

This is imop the good part of the state to bug out to..
    Aceoky likes this.

Some VERY good points made IMHO !

I believe we (as a whole) take way too much for "granted" it's been there so much we don't even take the time to imagine "what if" (for example) the power grid goes down and stays down (for any reason) We are used to the stores staying stocked- how many do not realize that in 3 days that would not be the case (MAX)???

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    I live on a ranch so not the same as others.
    I truly worry about our electrical grid. This whole system relies on computer driven balance and distribution. Thinking a third world country could buy a virus from a developed nation and deploy it in the US.
    Natural disasters we are getting better at as time goes on.

collapse of the financial world worries me I am retired and rely on my check arriving each month. If financial collapse occurred and my savings are lost and my retirement is gone the short fall for me is salt. I have 100 pounds on hand but that will go quickly when I start preserving meat. Your article on acorns is in my bag I will become a hunter gatherer. Small birds and rabbits that do not require preserving and make one meal are my food of choice.

We have wood heat and cooking and 100 gallons of kerosene for lamps and other uses can be used as diesel fuel if needed. Water is a spring fed stock pond and a few bass. If it comes at winter preservation is easy and killing a couple of sheep gets me through. No vegetables in the pantry past four weeks and nothing to hunt or gather with snow neck deep to a tall giraffe. I have 2K Pounds of red hard wheat and a hand operated grinder. making flat cakes is subsistence but sure not what I could gain weight on. 50 pounds of sugar will make syrup and keep my sweet tooth settled. My big worry is coffee I am addicted and only have 10 pounds at any time on hand.
    BigJon10125 and Darenger like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I already have a reservation at Camp FEMA Zone?
    NOT an (option I'm ready or willing to embrace)
    Ghost1958 and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl76 View Post
    I'd wake up.

Then it will be far too late, then - IF you're not awake now- probably no point to bother afterward IMHO

I find it "interesting" you think this is some "dream/illusion " or whatever (impossible to happen) the recent events in other countries have proved how very real this is and can be. You think folks are "out of control" on "Black Friday" to save a few $$$ just realize how they Will act when their very survival is at risk (and of their children)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Our grid and for that matter the controls systems for most of out power/water plants etc is crap imop it has been breach over and over agin it would not take much . Never mind a emp or mass ejection.

I live in a small town lot of farm land and a lot of empty land. We dont have natural problems in this part of the state ( dust storms and snow storms are not here ) so we would not talking a natural distart situation

If we are talking end of the world / red dawn etc . God help anyone trying to take this state we have about 4 +armed state militras under the governors controls and I know thanks to J&g most any one and there son in this part of the state has AR and AK a plenty and a lot of veteran out here it would not be a good day ..

I dont like to say too much on my planes needless to say I am ready for what my come

This is imop the good part of the state to bug out to..
    RE: in Bold - wise indeed, that being said I'd not expect anyone to "get specific" but with how things are going I think this is a great topic to ponder

I live near a river, my goal would be to secure a location on the side of the river and set up camp with 24/7 security (armed) so that I have a dependable water source (easy to make safe to drink). I'd then go from there to aquire food and medical supplies as necessary.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    Aceoky likes this.

There have been lots of "What if" scenarios posed on this forum and others and there is really no hard and fast answer to any of them.

It is quite true that our tightly interwoven system of supply and demand is not much more than a house of cards. It wouldn't take much to bring it all down. Individual events (such as Katrina) tend to be localized and while terrible enough for those directly affected, do not pose much of a threat to the entire nation or world. It would most likely take an event on a global scale to bring down our system here in the US. A global event would probably be either an economic collapse or all-out warfare. Total war seems unlikely as all parties have much to much to lose, but some kind of wide-scale economic collapse could happen anytime. When all of the fuel, electricity, and food supplies dry up (in a very short time), then any kind of 'Law and Order' idea is out the window and it would quickly become every man for himself. (Katrina comes to mind here as well).

If something like that happens, then each of us needs to make a personal decision on just how to proceed. Believe me, there won't be a consensus. Some people will run to the protection of the government. Personally, I tend to think this is a mistake, as we all saw how the government reacted during Katrina, and again later in the immediate aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombing. More than a little heavy-handed, to say the least. Other people may elect to go it alone. Some might do OK, others will quickly perish. Still other people may form into small, mutually protective groups. Neighborhoods might do something like that perhaps. If that happens, then local leadership would quickly become a central issue.

I think I'll keep my intentions to myself for the time being and make sure that I have some kind of plan in place and enough supplies saved to at least see me get started on my plan.
    Aceoky and molleur like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Put it like this . Look up starfish prime in the 60s and that was pre computer now imagine that today ..
    Aceoky likes this.

I think I'll keep my intentions to myself for the time being and make sure that I have some kind of plan in place and enough supplies saved to at least see me get started on my plan.

I like how you phrased that! Having some plans depending on what will work AT The Time (depending on exactly what is happening and how quickly )is very important in my view, that being said it is hard for me to imagine anyone here (especially) willing to be placed in "camps"

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links