Paracord vs Nylon Cord

Paracord vs Nylon Cord

This is a discussion on Paracord vs Nylon Cord within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; They’re both cord, about the same diameter and weight. And one is half the cost of the other. And why should you even care if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Paracord vs Nylon Cord

Senior Moderator

Paracord vs Nylon Cord

They’re both cord, about the same diameter and weight. And one is half the cost of the other. And why should you even care if you use paracord or just plain nylon cordage in your Bug Out Bag, emergency kit or on your next camping trip?

The answer is simple…

Paracord gives you many more options for improvising in a survival situation.

Why is Paracord So Important & How Can it Save Your Life? | Ultimate Survival Tips
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Very interesting! I carry (a bunch) of the "coated bank line" (test #350 or so IIRC) as it's more abrasion resistant - nice to learn something
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Great post

Administrator
    I always carry quite a bit of 550 paracord. I love the stuff. Good post pgrass.

In a separate load out bag I also keep 50' of 5mm Dacron/Technora (Sail Braid) which is incredibly tough stuff.

Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Always a good reminder. I've got 45 ft wrapped around my hat via a Slatt's Rescue Belt (can be undone a bit at a time) and also as boot laces so I've always got plenty on me.
    Aceoky likes this.

I have just started getting into 550 Paracord. That stuff is amazing. Lots of uses and it is reasonable inexpensive.
    pgrass101 likes this.

though does anyone have any tricks for helping Para-cord take knots? seems everytime i try to put a bowline it never wants to cinch down, it will but then the knot "walks"(?) and my loop is too small or too big. square knots, hitch's, i mean they will all work, to some degree, the stuff just seems "slippery"(?).

forgive my bad terminology, my knot-work is mostly just fundamentals.

EDIT- though i was pleased when i put it into a noose, i love noose knots BTW, a slip-knot that HOLDS.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Paracord makes great boot laces and replacement starter cords for chainsaws, string trimmers, outboards, etc!
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    though does anyone have any tricks for helping Para-cord take knots? seems everytime i try to put a bowline it never wants to cinch down, it will but then the knot "walks"(?) and my loop is too small or too big. square knots, hitch's, i mean they will all work, to some degree, the stuff just seems "slippery"(?).

forgive my bad terminology, my knot-work is mostly just fundamentals.

EDIT- though i was pleased when i put it into a noose, i love noose knots BTW, a slip-knot that HOLDS.
    I've never worked with Paracord, but from the way you describe the problem it seems like it's too stiff and slippery for the knot. Try using a knot that doesn't put as sharp a bend on the cord (retraced figure eight or Alpine butterfly might work as a bowline replacement). If joining the ends of two cords, try a triple fisherman's. Leave *plenty* of tail and tie a backup knot if you're concerned about slippage. Let me know if any of this worked. :)

I personally hate the bowline because when you load it it can get cinched so hard that it's difficult to untie. Can't remember the last time I actually used one for anything serious (the double bowline on a bight is a different animal and is actually pretty awesome, though).
    Kavalander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl76 View Post
    I've never worked with Paracord, but from the way you describe the problem it seems like it's too stiff and slippery for the knot. Try using a knot that doesn't put as sharp a bend on the cord (retraced figure eight or Alpine butterfly might work as a bowline replacement). If joining the ends of two cords, try a triple fisherman's. Leave *plenty* of tail and tie a backup knot if you're concerned about slippage. Let me know if any of this worked. :)

I personally hate the bowline because when you load it it can get cinched so hard that it's difficult to untie. Can't remember the last time I actually used one for anything serious (the double bowline on a bight is a different animal and is actually pretty awesome, though).

thank you. i will need to look up those knots, i should remember how to do a double bowline on a bight, but i don't. the others i am not familiar with. thanks again!

I pulled some Paracord thru the loops on a Boonie hat I keep in my truck. About 20-30 feet. I should have just bought a thousand foot roll of it 20 years ago. Around 1986 I bought one of those metal spools of *Baling Wire* that weighed 10-15 pounds when new. I finally used the last of it a couple years ago. I got some scraps of it hanging in my kitchen holding up my phone line.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I'll confess to being fairly ignorant as to the wonders of paracord. After doing a little research, I don't know how I've lived without it. Lol. After watching a few videos and visiting a couple of websites I think I'll try my hand at braiding a survival bracelet or two. Any recommendations on which eRetailer to patronize? Thanks
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Someone else that knows more than me needs to jump in here: Please discuss the quality of paracord, and why some is better, some worse?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Administrator
    What you are looking for is 550-7 Paracord which would be 550 LB test with 7 Internal strands.
    By an American manufacturer.

"Paracord" or "550 cord", is nylon cord. Technically, it's Type III MIL-C 5040H cord, but that's quite a mouthful and hard to remember.

It costs more than other 4mm nylon cords composed of 7 to 9 inner yarns each made up of 3 strands and an outer nylon kernmantle sheath and rated for 550 lbs breaking strength simply because it's more "tactikool."

As an 82nd Abn Div alumnus, I've got tons of the stuff laying around or wrapped around stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links