Shelter- Tarp Or Tent?

This is a discussion on Shelter- Tarp Or Tent? within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Shelter- Tarp Or Tent?

Shelter- Tarp Or Tent?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

2. Remove Ads

I prefer a house, then motel, then camper, after that tarp tent really doenst matter much cuz im back to the old bedroll on the ground biker days thing. Man that hurts when you get old
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Tarp, because there is more flexibility in the ways you can use it.
    Aceoky, msgt/ret, ctr and 1 others like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I prefer a house, then motel, then camper, after that tarp tent really doenst matter much cuz im back to the old bedroll on the ground biker days thing. Man that hurts when you get old
    A nice bedding material underneath makes a Huge difference FWIW
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Senior Moderator
    When backpacking tarp and poncho
    Aceoky and ctr like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Bivy sack if I'm traveling, tent if I'm car camping (which is all I've done for many a moon.)
    Aceoky likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    House, then cabin/camper.
    In that order.
    If I can't sleep in a bed, I ain't going.

Tent is going to give you a more stable environment as far as the two go. It will have a bottom/floor, and will be engineered to withstand wind and other elements more readily, IMHO.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Administrator
    I have one of these Teton Sports tents.

Check out how it sets up!

It came as a package deal when I bought the cot on sale.

No...I don't go camping with a cot. I bought the cot to use when I am on the forum until 3:00 in the morning.

The tent actually seems quite decent with regard to quality but, I have never used it.

I was planning on taking it some day when I went camping with my dog but, she has since gone completely blind so that is a big negatory now.

Since she was getting older I figured she would do better inside a tent.

I am into hammock sleeping now.

I am using a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro. I really like it.

I have made a few changes to it. I replaced the heavy Stainless carabiners with these nice super light Aluminum climbing biners.

I made my own SIL NYLON rainfly.

Very difficult stuff to work with.
    I had to buy a grommet setter & brass grommets. And reinforce the grommet areas. NOTHING sticks to SIL NYLON (silicone impregnated nylon) except pure Silicone. So adding canvas reinforcement to the grommet areas was a PITA.

By the time I got done it probably would have been cheaper just to buy one. Even though they are expensive in SIL/NYLON.

The big advantage is that NOW I have a much larger one which is large enough to block the wind from both directions when covering the hammock.

I think hammock sleeping is the "Cats Ass" but, if the weather is colder you MUST have an under-quilt.

I was out when the temp was in the teens to the 20s and my lower half was getting uncomfortable (not freezing but, uncomfortable cool) in the hammock even though I was in a good sleeping bag and had a folded wool blanket in the hammock underneath the sleeping bag. I was not using the rainfly at the time and up in the air with the Winter breezes blowing that wind just sucked the heat away underneath. I was nice and toasty otherwise though.
    But, you really NEED that dead air space and an under-quilt to block the wind in winter in a hammock.
    So my next project is to make an under-quilt from a large "goose down" comforter that we have.

But, for Spring, Summer, Autumn for sure I am always just taking the hammock.

One other thing about hammock sleeping. Make sure that you pee before you hit the hay. Because that is somewhat of a chore in the sleeping bag in the hammock without your boots or shoes on etc. etc.

Ideally you do not really want to get out again till morning. I am lucky that I have a good bladder so I do not ever need to go in the middle of the night.

In the Winter you should always make sure that you are all peed out anyway before you bed down or your body will constantly be trying to keep that internal urine at your core temperature.

But, anyway TRY A HAMMOCK!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Tarp for me, hands down. I've slept in and under a lot of shelters but the tarp can't be beat. Lightweight, choice of setup based on weather and location. I've spent days on end of rain under their cover and always remained dry. Even when I've seen tents fail.
    Aceoky likes this.

Administrator
    Here is the Skeeter Beeter PRO hammock.

I really like mine....so far. I paid less than $75.00 for mine which is a lot better than $189.00 for some other jungle type hammocks.

400 LB Maximum weight. I am well UNDER that. Those inside pockets on the netting are pretty useless. Maybe OK if you just want to put your watch in there.

Those carabiners add a lot of dead weight so I dumped those. So far I have no complaints. The zippers work. Nothing has ripped so far.

I'll know more this coming Spring and Summer when I get it out and about more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Oh I replaced those heavy Stainless carabiners with
    CAMP NANO 23 Lightweight wire-gate carabiners which are just great - when I first got them in the mail I had a hard believing that they were classed as climbing biners...they are fairly small and so lightweight.

Aceoky, rocky and Badey like this.

I keep a couple of contractor grade trash bags rolled up in my pack. They can work as a tarp or emergency blanket in a pinch. The only problem is that if you don't reinforce your tie-down holes with duct tape, they will rip and you will lose your shelter if it gets windy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ctr and QKShooter like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Those bags also can make a decent sleeping mat filled with dry leaves etc. under your sleeping bags etc.
    ctr and QKShooter like this.

Administrator
    Just as a reader FYI - any of you decide that you really want to get into hammock snoozing outdoors. I can save you a lot of homework.

For me personally I did not really want to spend a ton on hammock gear before I even knew if I would like sleeping in a hammock.

I was always a dirt boy ever since I started hitting the woods.

But, here goes - check out Eno / Hennessy / and probably the ultimate Warbonnet. Warbonnet Outdoors - Camping Hammocks, Tarps, Under Quilts, and Top Quilts
    You can learn a lot about hammocks by hitting that Warbonnet website.

So far I am going to stick with my less expensive Skeeter Beeter PRO.

If I somehow manage to destroy it I'll go with a Warbonnet because I love being off the ground now.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Where I live it's tarp AND tent much of the time. Once you reach your destination, you set up your tarp and use it for a shelter to get your tent and other gear set up. If you won't camp in the rain, you probably won't camp much at all in this part of the world.

If I'm going for ultralight, then tarp and bivy.
    Aceoky, kaikane0812 and QKShooter like this.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    When I was younger it was cool to ride cross country on our Harley's and camp out on a bedroll, maybe a sleeping bag. I still do a lot of riding, but now it's all hotels. I must have gotten soft in my old age???? LOL---Sturgis
    Aceoky, JDE101 and QKShooter like this.
    S&W 64-4 38 cal
    S&W 640 38 cal
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links