Brain Tanning Hides

Brain Tanning Hides

This is a discussion on Brain Tanning Hides within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; The process of brain tanning hides used by native people for millenia is explained by an Ojibwa elder....

Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Aceoky
  • 2 Post By Aceoky
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 1 Post By Aceoky
  • 2 Post By NONAME762
  • 1 Post By ctr

Thread: Brain Tanning Hides

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

QKShooter and flintlock62 like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

I have never tried to tan a hide. That is one skill that I would like to learn in the next couple of years. Thanks for sharing the links.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

My pleasure!

Just think not all that long ago "store bought clothing" was rare

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    That's something I'd really like to learn. My daddy was an expert in tanning & leather craft. He could make almost anything leather. But, he was killed by a drunk driver when I was 9yr old and I never learned how to work with hides & leather.

Thanks for the post.

It really is my pleasure to share what I can with those who likewise are interested in these skill sets. Like guns we hope we never NEED them but comforting to have them if/when we do.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

One thing to remember when you have a brain tanned skin. You can ask more money for brain tanned skin items. Brain tanning has more steps in the tanning process so you can charge more without feeling guilty about it. Years ago I scored a beautiful pouch done up in red wool felt and deer toe trim that was brain tanned and handmade.
    flintlock62 and Aceoky like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Not only that but there's a real good reason it's called 'brain tanned' in the first place some folks might not know.

When the animal is killed after skinning it and during butchering you need to harvest the brain. Set the brains aside for at least 3 days till they are good and ripe according to one tanning recipe I read around 25 years ago. When the brains are good and ripe you work them into the hide (while trying not to puke). That's all I remember.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    The Algonquian in Virginia would place the tanned hides in the rafters of their shelters for a year or two. The smoke from the fire mixed with the brain tan to make the hides more waterproof.
    Aceoky likes this.

Sponsored Links