How to Make a Fire Bed

How to Make a Fire Bed

This is a discussion on How to Make a Fire Bed within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I personally do not do this, as it takes a while to set up, and there are some dangers involved (catching root systems on fire, ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Aceoky
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 2 Post By Brad426
  • 2 Post By Bassindude
  • 3 Post By QKShooter
  • 2 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By Aceoky
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By ctr

Thread: How to Make a Fire Bed

How to Make a Fire Bed

I personally do not do this, as it takes a while to set up, and there are some dangers involved (catching root systems on fire, mild burns if you don't add enough soil, etc.), but it is a good skill to have if you really need it.

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Like a primitive electric blanket - thanks for sharing!
    Badey likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

VIP Member
    This is one technique that is best practiced before needing it.

A good way to practice is to build a small circular pit a start the fire. Once the coal bed is built up cover the coals with dirt and sit crossed legged over the filled fire pit. Use a blanket wrap around you and sit for a 3 - 4 hours. If your technique isn't right it's better to find out this way than in the middle of the night.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    another is to build any darn fire you want, and just put a few big rocks in the fire and let those et good and hot, then just use a stick to rolld the hot rocks into the hole you dig, and viola, no sleeping over fire, just hot rocks.

EDIT- i've done this. the only problem is it rarely last all night, usually something that will last all night is WAY to hot for the beginning. and i like having my bed of coals ready to go in the morning.... the hot rocks works well, and you CAN rotate them through the fire if it's a cold/survival situation, but it's sure inconvenient to have to get up every four hours, dig up your rocks, restoke the fire, etc. just get a bag/tent/mat rated to the temp of wherever you'll be.
    but it does work.
    kaikane0812 likes this.

I prefer the beds at The Ritz Carlton, but this sounds like a good Option B. Or maybe Option L.
    StripesDude and Bassindude like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Learned this many years ago from Bear Claw ( Will Geer ) from the movie Jeremiah Johnson. "Didnt put enough dirt down, Saw it right off" Jim
    Pinot and Aceoky like this.
    1911 responds much quicker than 911

Yup...........it works.........primitive camping.

Administrator
    There is really no need to put a tarp down if you just pile your excavated earth directly alongside your pit.
    It is simple enough just to push it all back in with your two hands.

Interesting that here in PA. we have a lot of sedimentary rock that is very easy to split into layers of varying thickness and to shape it with a harder large stone and so (in this area) you could loosen that earth with a digging stick and then shovel it out with a split layer of rock using that as a natural shovel.
    Or you could actually "point" a layer of rock and basically use that as a heavier two handed "shovel" which would make shorter work out of digging a pit than using a stick.

If there is no rock around and you have cordage (as you always should) you can lash a flat pointed stick perpendicular to a sturdy sapling and that will make breaking up the ground go a whole lot quicker than using a digging stick.
    ctr, Badey and Aceoky like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    another is to build any darn fire you want, and just put a few big rocks in the fire and let those et good and hot, then just use a stick to rolld the hot rocks into the hole you dig, and viola, no sleeping over fire, just hot rocks.

EDIT- i've done this. the only problem is it rarely last all night, usually something that will last all night is WAY to hot for the beginning. and i like having my bed of coals ready to go in the morning.... the hot rocks works well, and you CAN rotate them through the fire if it's a cold/survival situation, but it's sure inconvenient to have to get up every four hours, dig up your rocks, restoke the fire, etc. just get a bag/tent/mat rated to the temp of wherever you'll be.
    but it does work.
    Choose the rocks wisely. Any moisture in the rock and it will explode sending fragments of shrapnel thru the air. It will hurt and will cut.

Administrator
    But find a decently heavy natural V shape in the branches of a small tree and you can quickly make an all wood digging adze.
    This is the best PIC I could find in a hurry but, just chop a flat chisel edge where this gentleman is going to add the forged metal (the lower longer length) and you have an all wood digging adze that will be much faster than a simple digging stick. Much better and more effective for firmer earth.
    You can spend the time that you would normally spend digging with a stick making a better tool and then spend LESS time actually digging at a great savings in energy especially if you are going to be sleeping the same way for more than one night but, in different locations where you'll not be using the same pit.
    You could fabricate the entire tool very quickly with a large enough knife that is heavy enough to chop decently well.
    Or you could also easily make it with a hatchet or hand AX.

Badey and Aceoky like this.

QK - I need a REALLY LIKE for that!
    Badey likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Administrator
    This is getting a bit too fancy. But, it's interesting that our ancient ancestors solved their problems with whatever materials they had available to them.
    I have used a "made on location" digging adze to dig "bathroom holes" I cover up human waste in the woods for obvious reasons.

Past humans used antler, stone, bone, ivory, and horn...etc. to make tools and utensils.

What is really SAD is the possibility that we might need to revert back to that these days.

The big, huge advantage that we have though is that there will always be a ton of available "found" somewhat superior modern materials
    available.

If an ancient man discovered a modern Steel Chisel that was somehow transported back in time he would have been made a GOD or a King.

Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I prefer the beds at The Ritz Carlton, but this sounds like a good Option B. Or maybe Option L.
    I'm with you, Brad. My idea of roughing it is leaving the window open in my hotel room.

In a real pinch, I suppose I could get by with my friend's 38' RV.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    This is getting a bit too fancy. But, it's interesting that our ancient ancestors solved their problems with whatever materials they had available to them.
    I have used a "made on location" digging adze to dig "bathroom holes" I cover up human waste in the woods for obvious reasons.

Past humans used antler, stone, bone, ivory, and horn...etc. to make tools and utensils.

What is really SAD is the possibility that we might need to revert back to that these days.

The big, huge advantage that we have though is that there will always be a ton of available "found" somewhat superior modern materials
    available.

If an ancient man discovered a modern Steel Chisel that was somehow transported back in time he would have been made a GOD or a King.

Very nice work. My digging sticks are not as artful.
    Aceoky likes this.

Links