Good Camp Stove?

Good Camp Stove?

This is a discussion on Good Camp Stove? within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, I've been considering a good camp stove to augment my old Coleman. It would be used 3-4 times per year and as a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Good Camp Stove?

Good Camp Stove?

Hi all,

I've been considering a good camp stove to augment my old Coleman. It would be used 3-4 times per year and as a back-up during power outages at home. I need a two burner rig that can simmer...preferably propane. I'm not interested in back packing stoves.

Any experienced recommendations appreciated.

A new Coleman.
    Caertaker and StormRhydr like this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I've got Coleman 2 burner propane that I have for years. Whats nice is we use it in our mud room/canning room for our hot water bath canner. It works great,is easy to light and has an extra hot burner for boiling etc. It would also makes a great back-up cook stove, although our kitchen stove/oven is a gas unit.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have a few old coleman camp stoves. I use them alot camping and just out on the patio sometimes when bbq'n & need to use extra pans for simmering. Or to put my dutch oven on for making chili

Sent from my big thumbs onTapatalk 😃

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Our old Optimus 99 would be hard to beat.

Like others have indicated, a new coleman. Their propane models are great, too.

Coleman also makes a nice single burner model. One much like the GI issue WW II stove that fit in an AL canister.

What do you do if the supply of propane is stopped?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    What do you do if the supply of propane is stopped?
    If that's for me...my current Coleman is a dual fuel.

I've been researching this one for a propane:

Everest 2 Burner Stove | Camp Chef

That is not for anyone in particular, only saying that many factors could mean you won't be able to have fuel when you need it the most (ice storm etc. could keep trucks delayed etc. etc. )

IMHO (Others may vary) if you have one type stove where you depend on trucking etc. you might consider a totally different type that is not as dependent on shipping (or whatever)

Just look at how many folks are upset they can't find .22 Rf ammo right now (and we're not really sure why) I'd sure hate to only have a .22
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

That is not for anyone in particular, only saying that many factors could mean you won't be able to have fuel when you need it the most (ice storm etc. could keep trucks delayed etc. etc. )

IMHO (Others may vary) if you have one type stove where you depend on trucking etc. you might consider a totally different type that is not as dependent on shipping (or whatever)

Just look at how many folks are upset they can't find .22 Rf ammo right now (and we're not really sure why) I'd sure hate to only have a .22
    If you read my OP, this is to augment what I already have...so you're reply has me a little confused.

I'm not sure what part is confusing? My "point" was in some scenario where you really needed another stove - well you NEED it (correct?) If you can't get one type fuel (propane/white gas) because well what was available has been bought up by others with similar stoves - and the conditions prevent more stocking for a week or several weeks- not good

I realize you said you already have a Coleman- but I'm guessing you have to buy fuel for it ???

I read (and understood) what you're asking I'm not so sure there shouldn't be something that does not depend on clear roads and being trucked in - especially when you have one working already so equipped. I would have thought my .22 rimfire example would fully explain

IF you look on the "net" I think you'll find this last ice storm makes my point quite well.

I'm not sure what part is confusing? My "point" was in some scenario where you really needed another stove - well you NEED it (correct?) If you can't get one type fuel (propane/white gas) because well what was available has been bought up by others with similar stoves - and the conditions prevent more stocking for a week or several weeks- not good

I realize you said you already have a Coleman- but I'm guessing you have to buy fuel for it ???

I read (and understood) what you're asking I'm not so sure there shouldn't be something that does not depend on clear roads and being trucked in - especially when you have one working already so equipped. I would have thought my .22 rimfire example would fully explain

IF you look on the "net" I think you'll find this last ice storm makes my point quite well.

Okay...I live in South Texas so ice storms, while they do happen, are rare. And yes, I already have white gas for my stove. In any event, that's not really the subject of my inquiry...which is asking members here about a good propane camp stove.

My mistake- I didn't realize there was nothing that might ever make delivery of fuel to your area delayed- ice storm was only one example (and a very recent one at that ) btw

Please carry on

My mistake- I didn't realize there was nothing that might ever make delivery of fuel to your area delayed- ice storm was only one example (and a very recent one at that ) btw

Please carry on
    As I said, the availability of fuel types isn't the subject of my post but thanks for joining in.

I think Coleman is probably the best bet. You could buy two for the price of that Everest. I've got a white gas and a propane Coleman. Both are pretty reliable. Naturally, the propane stove is easier to use and faster to set up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links