Hiking GPS

This is a discussion on Hiking GPS within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, working two jobs and finishing a Master's degree has left me pretty sedentary for the last couple of years. I have gained more weight ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Hiking GPS

Hiking GPS

So, working two jobs and finishing a Master's degree has left me pretty sedentary for the last couple of years. I have gained more weight that I care to admit as a result. My New Year's resolution is to get back down to a more healthy weight. Hiking is the best activity for me and is something that I can stick to. My question to you all is whether or not you use a hiking type GPS and if so, what make and model?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Personally I like Garmin products.

Edited to add: My major one is a Garmin Montana 650T, my iPhone works pretty good too. BTW there are running/biking apps that actually leave a trail (bread crumbs) to show where you ran.
    Last edited by ppkheat; December 30th, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I use one. It is the magellan explorist 310.

Magellan GPS - eXplorist 310 North America

I use it for hiking and geocaching. It works well, and is very easy on the batteries.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I have a Garmin Oregon 450 that I use for hunting. It has a satellite view function that makes it worth its weight in gold.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I have an old garmin foretrex, works well. I think they're a lot slimmer these days.

Amazon.com: Garmin Foretrex 301 Waterproof Hiking GPS: GPS & Navigation

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    GPS is useful but I like a good old map and compass system; no batteries required.
    Aceoky, Oldpsufan and Caertaker like this.

I also have a Garmin however I enjoy reading the map and using a compass. You may try finding orienteering events if you like map and compass or geocacheing if your insisting on using a GPS. I enjoy adventure racing which encompasses mountain biking, orienteering, trail running, kayaking, and ropes using only a map and compass.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Garmin would be my vote, I also like a map and compass.

You can't beat the map and compass as this does not require batteries or satellites. It's a great skill to master! If you have any questions about plotting grid points or maps in general please feel free to ask.

Garmin etrax 20.. I trail ride my horses alot and i always take my garmin and a good compass..

I can see where an old fashioned style compass would be handy. GPS's have additional features that are desirable. A manual compass will be added to my list since they are not all that expensive. What's the deal with the ones that have mirrors?

I use a good topo map and a Silva Ranger compass. I don't like to depend on electronics for navigation. Of course, I also avoid bushwacking.
    chris1281982 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by halem1 View Post
    I can see where an old fashioned style compass would be handy. GPS's have additional features that are desirable. A manual compass will be added to my list since they are not all that expensive. What's the deal with the ones that have mirrors?

The compass with the mirror allows you to see the dial and the background at the same time. This allows you to accurately align yourself to your target and acquire your bearing.
    Hoganbeg and halem1 like this.
    There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

VIP Member
    If you have a smart phone-Android or iPhone-there is an app called Maverick: GPS Navigation. It's really cool. I haven't learned all the ins/outs, but so far so good for me. I use it on my walks with my wife and hikes with my wife and kids. Here is a link to an app description by the developers: Maverick for Google Android - Code Sector
    halem1 likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I really like the Garmin 60 & 62 series. Incredible acquisition, even inside.....somehow. I still carry a compass in areas that I'm a bit familiar with. I haven't busted brush in a large range of unknown territory for some time. Take a topo and a compass and learn along the way perhaps. Just don't go too deep until you've got your bearings, pun intended.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links