Good Mess Kit for Backpack?

This is a discussion on Good Mess Kit for Backpack? within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking to get a mess kit that will last a long time and is light enough that I won't wish I had just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Good Mess Kit for Backpack?

I am looking to get a mess kit that will last a long time and is light enough that I won't wish I had just put a brick in my pack instead of the mess kit. My aluminum coleman set has long since outlived its usefulness. What do you use?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

We carry couple Stainless canteen cups, two big stainless thermos cups a couple cheap aluminum kits, cast dutch oven for longer outings (the top is a skillet /plate ) likely forgetting something LOL
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Before I discovered what helicopters were for, and hiked to places, I used to carry a "sierra cup" and a spoon. Anything else I stuck with my Gerber.

I have only used the genuine GI mess kits. Light weight aluminum with aluminum utensils. I have seen them on Amazon for around $10, but they are the GI "style" mess kits. Utensils sold separately.

Or something like this: Amazon.com: Coleman Aluminum Mess Kit: Sports & Outdoors or this BSA® Aluminum Mess Kit - Utensils - Cooking - Camping - BSA

How elaborate of a mess kit do you need? Cooking and eating or just eating?

What type of food will you be eating? When I go backpacking, I eat primarily oatmeal for breakfast and freeze fried for dinner. Given that, I carry one titanium tea kettle to heat water, one titanium bowl, a titanium cup, and one spork.

Administrator
    Badey. Get rid of all Aluminum cookware for health reasons.

I have got rid of everything Aluminum that is food related. Pots, pans, camping utensils, water bottles...etc etc.

Stainless Steel or Titanium! I love Titanium. It is 100% inert, lightweight, tough, etc.

There is no down side to Titanium except for the price.

But, there is one seller on ebay selling TOAKS Titanium and it is very reasonably priced for Titanium.

So far I have 2 Titanium cups - 2 bowls - 1 decent size cook pot - and 2 each Titanium knives forks spoons.
    Oh...and a VARGO Titanium alcohol burner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ALUMINUM
    Very soft metal. Extreme chemical reaction between food and pan. "All Vegetables cooked in Aluminum produce hydroxide poison which neutralizes digestive juices, producing stomach and gastrointestinal trouble, such as stomach ulcers and colitis." Dr. A. McGuigan's Report on Findings for the Federal Trade Comm. In Docet Case No. 540 Washington, D.C.

Note: The sale of aluminum cookware is now prohibited in Germany, France, Belgium, Gr. Britain Switzerland, Hungary and Brazil.

For me...my situation is different than some folks. I basically need to carry for two adults since my Wife had a serious neck whiplash injury (not her fault) and she cannot lug very much at all and a backpack is completely out of the question for her...so I am not just minding Pounds. I am minding Ounces.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Best priced Titanium.
    Aceoky and pgrass101 like this.

Administrator
    They now are saying that their may not be a direct link to Alzheimer's due to the use of Aluminum cookware but, I am not so sure about that.
    My gut tells me they are wrong about that.

And watch your antacids and buffered aspirin and other stomach remedies many of which contain Aluminum. Some are LOADED with it.
    Secret Spuk and Aceoky like this.

I favor the old WWII style mess kit. Not too bulky, flat, easy to clean. Military style canteen with cup. I have an aluminum one but will cease use post haste based on QK's post.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    I always had a BSA Aluminum mess kit, with knife fork and spoon. Had my own plastic 12 oz cup from a camp that i used. When we were saving weight and going minimalist I would only carry a cup the bowl and a spoon. You can eat everything with just those things. Canteen for water and cup for every other kind of drink.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

I have an old school Stainless Steel Coleman Peak 1:
    .5 quart pot and lid
    1 quart pot
    .5 quart pan that serves as lid for the 1 quart pot
    .25 quart cup
    It has served me well but if I were to buy today I'd go Titanium. Let us know what you settle on.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Administrator
    You can get by with a decently designed SPORK - Some of them suck though because they are ill conceived and they are a P.I.T.A. to actually EAT with.

So...shop for a good one if you go the SPORK route. (SPORK - Combination Spoon And Fork) for you newbies out there.

You can also get by without a utensil knife since you'll always hopefully have a knife with you regardless.

I bought the Titanium Knife, fork, spoon sets and they are SO light in weight that I also pack the knives.

One advantage of the Titanium over the Aluminum is that Aluminum gets SOFT (annealed) if you heat it up too much - like actually cooking in it.
    Then it gets all dented, crushed, and banged up.
    Titanium does not get soft even though it is so almost paper thin.

Oh I just LOVE this one! WHO dahell thought this one up???
    Aceoky likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I use a stainless steel cook set like this one (except mine is older and doesn't have insulated handles) http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-1-Pe...m_sbs_sg_or_17.

I threw out the plastic cup and carry a steel enameled coffee cup, one large soup spoon (for all my cooking and eating needs) and a beat up aluminum bowl plate to eat out of if I don't/can't eat straight out of the pot. A buddy of mine used a Frisbee as his plate.

I carry this gear (it all fits in the one large pot) in a bag that I made by sewing two large dish clothes together. These also serve as my wash cloth (for dishes or myself). When wet I hang the whole thing outside of my pack until dry. Depending on the weather it has taken 50 miles to dry out before.
    Aceoky likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Best priced Titanium.
    Thanks for this info. I am planning a trip this summer and this will do the trick very well.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Anodized aluminum is safe.
    QKShooter likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links