AR-7 or 10/22 Takedown for Pack Rifle

This is a discussion on AR-7 or 10/22 Takedown for Pack Rifle within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I ended up purchasing a 3 day pack instead of a day pack, so now I have room for something I have wanted to get ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: AR-7 or 10/22 Takedown for Pack Rifle

I ended up purchasing a 3 day pack instead of a day pack, so now I have room for something I have wanted to get for my pack for quite some time, a rifle. I think the 10/22 is a much better rifle, but it takes up a lot of room, whereas the AR-7 seems to be a lower-quality rifle, but is much smaller. Then, there is the cost factor too. The 10/22 takedown is around $400 in my area, but the AR-7 can be had for $230.

Do you have a rifle in your pack, and, if so, which rifle, and why?
    DrDP6 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member
    There's a take down in my future. Dependability is ..... Well, it's good.
    DrDP6 and BigJon10125 like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

OD*
    Between the two, I'd go with the Ruger. All semi-autos are magazine dependent as everyone knows, but the AR-7 is exceptionally so, the feed ramp is part of the magazine. AR-7s have always been ammunition sensitive, they've always been hit and miss with reliability, it's one of the reasons it's had 5 different manufacturers over the years.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

get the 10/22
    while the ar7 is a compact design is has proven to be finicky, personally i wouldn't want finicky in the event of its use.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

The only up side the the ar7 is that is very easy to take aprt and fix and the new henery ones are pretty darn good . Plus it does float . But smaller mag size ( they make 25 rounder but they are hard to find) .. The takedown is good too esp the tactial one if you have a legal silencer ..

But to me the ar7 does take down futher . It looks vaugle gunish when taken down but does not say I am a gun .
    DrDP6 likes this.

I have an AR7,always been 100% reliable shooting federal 550 bulk box ammo,mjay have to try some other brands since ammo is kinda hard to get and I've had to buy what is available,My Rugers 10/22's have always been ammo finicky they don't like remington but will eat federal bulk 550 pack like candy
    DrDP6 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

First Ruger
    Then this:
    Marlin Model 70PSS Stainless
    Last the AR7
    Comparison article before 10/22 takedown came out:
    Wilderness Survival Rifles
    DrDP6 likes this.

Administrator
    The newest versions of the AR-7 are just fine. They work. I have one of the latest versions and it's built really well for what it is.

The AR-7 started out life as a Stoner design firearm many moons ago. I think that Henry finally has the bugs worked out of it with the higher quality factory magazines.

A fairly inexpensive decently small package SHTF rim-fire and I do not think I wasted money by purchasing it.

I actually bought mine "spur of the moment" when I went to my local gun store and they didn't have the firearm that I went there looking for. I saw that they had some spanky new AR-7s in and I bought one.

I did not go out looking for one...it just kinda fell into my lap at the gun shop.

Mostly just because I always wanted to play with one.

I am not sorry that I bought it but, that does not change the fact that the Ruger Take Down is a better rifle in some ways.

Here are the down sides and up-sides of the AR-7.

Very few very simple internals. The barrel is SUPER Lightweight so that sort of cancels out or negates the receiver weight.

The receiver is a bit heavier than it needs to be for .22 LR. It is a Zinc alloy AKA not Steel or Aluminum but NOT typical cheap "pot metal" either and it is a super high quality casting - just on the heavy side for a .22 LR.

I would have like it more if the receiver was Aluminum only because it would have been lighter and LIGHTER is always good with a Bug Out rifle.

The AR-7 will float but, it is not 100% waterproof. you could easily make it completely waterproof by running a strip of electrical tape around the butt-cap - but, if you don't do that some water will manage to get in. It IS waterproof enough in that if it gets dumped in the drink you'll have PLENTY of time to "fish it out" before it sinks.

Assembly and dis-assembly is a true breeze. No problems with that at all.

If you put an optic on the rifle then it will not stow back into the stock. So you will need to pack your optic separately.

I was not having ANY reliability issues with mine at all. It does prefer round nose higher velocity .22 ammo which is fine. Mine handled some of the odder shaped stuff pretty well also.

The stock seems FAT and it is but, it turned out tho be not the problem that I though it would be and the rifle handles well.

Another down and up side is that the rifle sure does pack easy but there is no way to sling it once it is in its assembled state. At least not as supplied by the factory but there IS an aftermarket sling system available for it on Ebay so plan on spending another 18 bucks or there about.
    You could probably even add a screw in sling swivel into the stock if you put some Silicone sealant on the threads before you screwed it in - that would work and you could quickly para-cord tie the other end to the barrel once the rifle was assembled.

The trigger is surprisingly good and the sights are somewhat atypical but, adequate and the rifle is (in general) more accurate than it needs to be to put small game in the pot.

Overall I like it but, there is no doubt that the Ruger is a better all around rifle but, as mentioned above it is more expensive.

Either will do the job. There are 10 round magazines readily available for the Henry and I bought a few of those just to have them but, you could get by with the 2 (8 Rounds) furnished with the rifle if you just want it as a SHTF game getter.

So...there you have it. I think the Ruger Take Down would be a better investment but, the Henry will work if money is an issue.

If both were sitting on a table and I won a contest and somebody said pick one or the other...naturally I would choose the Ruger but, that does not alter the fact that you could get by just fine with the Henry stuffed into the pack.

Another thing that I wish Henry would do is that there is a nice hollow unused area inside the stock - it's sad that they couldn't somehow utilize that space to store a small box or two of .22 LR ammo - but, they didn't so...too bad!
    OD*, DrDP6, WrongRecroom and 2 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Ruger 10/22
    DrDP6 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I grew up (or at least wanted) an AR-7. Then I came here and saw Glockman's 10/22 and changed my mind. It's not done but here's my Christmas present to myself. I'm thinking of picking up a UTG Bug Blaster 3x9x32 scope but am open to suggestions.

10-22 little.jpg10-22 AGP Little.jpg10-22 folded little.jpg
    DrDP6, QKShooter, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Administrator
    henry 003.jpg

Here is mine. I made the leather "thingy" for it. <<~~~

A very quick piece of leather work. I might make another one when I have more time.
    Caertaker, OD* and NONAME762 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'd pick the ruger. Love the one I have and will be getting the game down asap. The bag it comes with could be your 3 day bag though I am not sure on the specs. Personal choice, completely.
    DrDP6 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Moderator
    The Ruger is the superior platform in every aspect.

Shooting the AR7 finds much lacking. The stock is big and the barrel is light. Meaning that it is very hard to hold on target at extended ranges.
    The aftermarket magazine selection is slim to none. As for customizing it, forget it.

The Ruger on the other hand is just about infinitely customizable and the after market parts can be found every where. Accuracy is much better and its a better platform to use a scope on.

The biggest thing here is shootability. Try them both and you'll lay that AR7 down and walk off with the Ruger.
    OD*, Aceoky, QKShooter and 1 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've got the 10/22 takedown and with a BX-25 mag it's one great reliable package.
    DrDP6 likes this.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Saw the AR-7 and wanted one until I picked up the 10/22 Takedown. I walked out with the Ruger and love it!
    DrDP6 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links