How to survive

How to survive

This is a discussion on How to survive within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; This new section is great BTW . It has me thinking if you only had 3 or 4 items to have as survival tools or ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: How to survive

VIP Member

How to survive

This new section is great BTW . It has me thinking if you only had 3 or 4 items to have as survival tools or supplies what would you want or need to survive for 2 weeks .

And you start off with the clothes on your back in summer weather .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Administrator
    Good potentially interesting thread.

I'll allow some other members to chime in before I Let my fingers do the walking on the keyboard.

SUMMER - THE CLOTHES ON YOUR PERSON - 3 or 4 ITEMS.

Stay within those exact parameters folks.
    welder516 and Aceoky like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Starting with clothes and summer weather, good knife, fish hooks, the biggest darn roll of duct tape to be found. (Terrain counts. I'm assuming
    some water with fish in it and some rock formations for shelter from a thunder storm.

Moment later oh, maybe 4 items, add a solar powered iPhone.
    welder516 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Lightbulb Survival

Here's my allotment:

1. My Ka Bar;
    2. A spool of Kevlar thread;
    3. An Emergency Space Blanket; and
    4. A Magnesium fire starter

The Ka Bar is to fend off Big Foot, build shelters, general utility work including building spears and the like. The fire starter is to.......start fires. There are a lot of cold nights at 9,000 feet, even in the summer. The blanket can make a solar still for water, provide shelter, carry water and the like. The spool of thread is to make small game traps and snares.

Considered, but rejected, were my Ruger 10/22, because that and two bullets were 75% of the items allowed. I wanted fish hooks too, but ran out of allotment.

Great thread!
    Aceoky, welder516, Exacto and 2 others like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    well, if i got too pick anything in the world... and since i don't know the expected terrain...
    (i like the solar ipod idea, but i'd go milspec laptop, why not? but i'll come up with something new)

high quality machete w/saw.
    handheld propane blowtorch with click button auto ignite-like the big kind plumbers use, not a gas station torch-lighter.
    a big roll of bailing wire(can make hooks)
    the biggest, thickest wool blanket you could find,preferably one that had OTHER layers of cloth sewn into it.

EDIT-considered and rejected; water container(this and the blanket is HUGE climate consideration), multi-tool, flares, good backpack, survival kit-in-a-can(is that cheating anyway?)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Here's my allotment:

1. My Ka Bar;

The Ka Bar is to fend off Big Foot, build shelters, general utility work including building spears and the like. The fire starter is to.......start fires. There are a lot of cold nights at 9,000 feet, even in the summer. The blanket can make a solar still for water, provide shelter, carry water and the like. The spool of thread is to make small game traps and snares.

Considered, but rejected, were my Ruger 10/22, because that and two bullets were 75% of the items allowed. I wanted fish hooks too, but ran out of allotment.

Great thread!
    I wanted the magnesium fire starter, but figured I'd just whack my steel knife against some hard rocks. I also wanted a rifle, but that and one bullet took up half the allotment. Do marshmallows count?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I wanted the magnesium fire starter, but figured I'd just whack my steel knife against some hard rocks. I also wanted a rifle, but that and one bullet took up half the allotment. Do marshmallows count?
    that only works if the rocks have flint...
    msgt/ret likes this.

or Chert.........
    Aceoky and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    or Chert.........
    point taken, but most rocks WON'T work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Here's my allotment:

1. My Ka Bar;

This is pretty much what we had at our disposal at SERE school (military Survival/evasion school. It was good enough for a few nights in sub freezing weather.

Your priorities are shelter, water, sleep, food in that order...with signaling/rescue always the main focus.

I might trade the Kevlar thread for a clear trash bag. Can be used as a transpiration bag, solar still, condensation collection,and water storage. (I find I need more water than most, so I put hydration at a premium). You could always use vegetation for common thread uses.

-TWIG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Duplicate post. Deleted

Administrator
    Fire...I can make with a bow drill since my boots and shoes have laces. Though it is more of a P.I.T.A. it is quite doable on a nice Summer day.
    Summertime...DRY Wood and lots of it. I am NOT taking a fire starter or matches.

Hummm...Summertime here. For 2 weeks I could do without food and just go after some edible plant material, berries, etc so I would be one grumpy, hungry sonofagun after 2 weeks. But, nonetheless & even though not a #1 priority I would take a bottle of Survival Tabs and the container they are stored in doubles as a canteen.

A large enough knife heavy enough to chop. That would take care of shelter, halfway decent personal protection, processing firewood etc.
    I would take the BUSSE NMSFNO.

Nights are still going to get cool...so my Norwegian 100% Wool Mil Surplus blanket.

A Katadyn water filter. We do not have viruses in the water here in PA. but, there still is possible giardia and cryptosporidia, bacteria, cysts etc.
    so...that takes care of the necessity of water since there natural water sources EVERYWHERE in PA.

OK I really had to put some thought into this. Here are my 4 choices.

Knife

Water Filter

Wool Blanket

bottle of Survival Tabs

A Fantastic product By The Way.
    There is a plastic bag inside the container so that you can open the bottle - transfer all of the tabs into the plastic bag & then use the container for a canteen.

"15 Days' Food Supply Under 2 Lbs"

The Original Formulation for the Survival Tabs evolved from research done in the Early Space Program.

The Survival Food Tab Concept

When the Survival Food Tabs were formulated, a host of factors were considered in order to adapt them to their purpose as a lightweight, emergency, life-sustaining food ration:
    1. The less intake of food, the more efficient the body becomes. Basically, when food intake is reduced, it remains in the digestive tract longer and assimilates more completely. 2. Generally, of the food we eat, a great deal of it is not digested and used up as calories. The Survival Food Tabs are 100% digestible as well as completely assimilated by the body. The quality of the food we eat is more important than the quantity. Poor quality protein, carbohydrate and fat can put a strain on the digestive organ, especially the kidneys.

In the Survival Tabs, we have used protein of a high biological value, which is 100% utilized. This helps protect the body from cannibalism of its own protective tissues. The fat is composed totally of fatty acids which provide the essential ingredients of fat. The carbohydrates are of the high quality and 100% utilized too. 3. In 90% of all survival situations, some additional food will be available. The Survival Food Tabs are designed to be the Margin of Survival. For example, if one were lost in a jungle area, one might have to find grubs, insects, berries, small animals or whatever to eat. One would have to adapt to the circumstances quickly until he found his way out or was rescued. The Survival Food Tabs would be that Margin of Survival, along with whatever one could gather, to sustain oneself as long as necessary. Another example, would be desert or sea survival. In these cases, little supplemental food may be available. The Survival Food Tabs would sustain one as long as he would expect to live normally, before being overcome by exposure, the elements, or lack of water.

I would want a tarp/blanket (or other means of keeping warm/dry), a way to start fire (magnesium is good), my water filter, and my knife.

Plenty to eat around here, most of which isn't that hard to catch or dig up. Never any shortage of water here, either. Even in summer, staying warm and sheltered in inclement weather is very important. Starting a fire in this place where it's always gray and damp would be the challenging thing, I think.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Administrator
    I do not want to toss this thread off topic so I will only mention this and provide a link.

Silvercloud Survival Shelter - CloudWalker LLC

The Silver Cloud Survival Shelter. This was a product that I just happened upon. It is everything that the space blanket is but does additional duty as sort of a prefabricated enclosed personal shelter. The weight equals about two space blankets. Well worth that minimal added weight.

Two trees - a length of paracord - and some stones to weigh parts of it down and you have an instant shelter protected from wind and rain.

I always had two space blankets in the B.O.B. anyway but, I have since switched them out for this product.

I love the fact that you can build a fire in front of it and the radiant heat from the fire will pass through the clear Mylar and warm the shelter inside with the heat mirror reflected onto the body. A great idea.

A shelter without much in the way of expended energy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    A good hat, probably a tilly. Water filtration device, A good knife made of high carbon steel, some para cord, and a good piece of flint or some other material for starting a fire.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links