Replacement Medicines

Replacement Medicines

This is a discussion on Replacement Medicines within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a great new section btw. I was and have thought for a while now about those of us that have some health issue ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Replacement Medicines

Replacement Medicines

This is a great new section btw.

I was and have thought for a while now about those of us that have some health issue that requires medication. Either because we are sort of long in the tooth, or have none left, or simply have a health issue. And being able to substitute natural medicines for ones that would be unavailable.

Bp meds, heart medications, other ailments that need some type of medicinal management to keep one mobile and able to care for ones self and family.

Some acute issues probably could not be dealt with if things as we know them fall apart by replacing meds with natural replacements or concoctions. . Im talking a period of min a couple years not weeks. Think Depression in the worst poverty stricken areas of the country as best case.

But considering that most medicines originate from some sort of plant, and that not so long ago folks made their own medicines from those plants and natural sources, it might be wise to learn to do that again. At least for ones you would know you would for sure need to have.

That is one thing that one cannot really stockpile. Either its unavailable due to the drug wars and goofy government or the shelf life of the medicine doesnt lend itself to long term home storage.

Just a thought that learning this skill would be useful. Perhaps even without a national collapse but just a personal financial one. Thoughts??
    DrDP6, NONAME762, ccw9mm and 2 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Wow , Ghost - I was for an instant tempted to jump right into this one . But volumes , even vast libraries could be written here because it touches on diagnosis , treatments and varying philosophies of it all . Almost anything you can learn about health and healing can be of great value even in just dealing with our current , modern "state of the art" medical system . I encourage you to educate and prepare as best you can- but it won't be easy and even most MD's would be stymied!

I think there's some valuable medicines that could be prepared from natural sources. A form of aspirin, for example, can be extracted from some types of bark, and could probably be life-saving in some circumstances. With many modern medications, though, it would be difficult to find a natural substitute. The problem is that a lot of medical knowledge was developed after sophisticated scientific and industrial methods were already in use, so many types of drugs used today were originally lab-created and didn't originate from natural compounds.

I think what I'd do, if I had a long-term condition that required drugs for treatment, would be to talk it over with my doctor and see if he has any thoughts on alternatives. I'm sure he'd recommend sticking with the prescriptions, and it makes sense; you'd need a heck of a lab at home to make drugs with near the purity of FDA-approved facilities. But he's hopefully already had some ideas about what to do for his patients if supply is cut off for some reason.

Long-term storage might be workable, too; the printed shelf-life of a drug is often very conservative. Even if a drug is good for a hundred years, they can only date it for what they've proven in stability studies, and they don't want to deal with storing batch records and archive samples for a hundred years anyway; so they seldom go past five years of stated shelf life. But it's a good bet that, if one could keep a very cold freezer running, many drugs would last for decades. The hard part would be getting a stockpile in the first place.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Administrator
    Here are a couple of helpful things to know about your medications.

The Expiration Dates do not mean that your medication is automatically "no good" after that date.

The Expiration Date is the date that your medication is guaranteed to be full strength by the drug manufacturer.
    There ARE rare exceptions when some meds will alter chemically over time or degrade into some substance that could be potentially harmful so do your own homework as a responsible adult. In a true TEOTWAWKI scenario your expired meds may be better than none at all. Just something to think about.

Do not store your meds in a bathroom medicine cabinet. Think dark, cool, and dry not Steamy and Damp for longer medicine shelf life.

If you have a good relationship with your family doctor and you talk to your doc about wanting to have some extra of your medication in the event of a possible natural disaster and you do not come across as a crackpot doomsday prepper - your doctor may be willing to work with to see to it that you have an extra month of your meds to rotate in and out so that you'll always have a month to fall back on in a true emergency.

If you are ever prescribed pain pills. Suffer for a while. Endure the pain. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Crack open a bottle of Vodka!
    And then sock them away in the B.O.B. for some time when you might really need them like when you WHOOPS! & hack two toes off with an AX in the middle of nowhere.

There are many lifestyle and diet changes that folks can make NOW that can really help them decrease their need for prescription meds.
    IF you are willing to actually do some research, and work at it.
    Of course...never "take yourself off of your meds and work with your Doctor on accomplishing that goal. For many folks it just is easier to take a pill and so they won't ever take the hard road.
    We are 4% of the world population and we consume over 75% of the world prescription medications. Big Pharma concentrates on long term treating of symptoms not curing disease. There is no money to be made if you are cured and do not need to take your medication anymore.

In my personal opinion (for what it is worth) holistic and natural, herbal, etc treatments can be great BUT, (a huge BUT) when you have a serious infection ONLY antibiotics are going to work quick enough and be immediately effective enough to save your life.

Did you know that you can go to an aquarium shop and buy fish antibiotics for all of your many fish tanks without a prescription?
    And it's interesting that many of those antibiotics are made by the very same pharmaceutical companies that make the prescription antibiotics for sick humans.
    I have even seen bulk antibiotics for fish tanks being sold on ebay and since most of you are serious aquarium owners you might want to purchase some of those just in case your fish get really sick during some SHTF scenario when all of the aquarium shops are closed.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I already have the fish covered QKShooter LOVES my fish. Cant let them get cough due to cold ya know.

I was more thinking of long term as in decades not months or a few years, not being able to get medicines and medical care as we think of it now. I probably think of this sort of thing differently than some. A lot think of in terms of living for a few weeks to a few months before things start to become semi normal again.

I think in terms of living out close to my natural lifespan that is left, maybe 20 years if im really lucky, and nothing getting back to normal again. Or at least my wife and I not wanting to become part of what passes for normal.
    DrDP6, Aceoky, CLASS3NH and 1 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Administrator
    I hear you.
    So far I am lucky (knock on fish tank glass) in that I am only sporadically taking a non-narcotic prescription med for those times when the lower back decides that it wants to spazz out and put me in a foul mood.

I haven't started falling apart...yet so natural cures and remedies have been less of a priority for me.

It's curious that this topic just popped up on the forum because just the other day I saved an ebay auction for a book on natural plant/tree etc. remedies listing plants native to my area. It's in my "watch" list but, I've not purchased it yet. It is this one.

Just an added afterthought: It's too damn bad that more Doctors are not into General Survival Preparedness. That would make some things a lot easier for many folks who will need critical meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I already have the fish covered QKShooter LOVES my fish. Cant let them get cough due to cold ya know.

I was more thinking of long term as in decades not months or a few years, not being able to get medicines and medical care as we think of it now. I probably think of this sort of thing differently than some. A lot think of in terms of living for a few weeks to a few months before things start to become semi normal again.

I think in terms of living out close to my natural lifespan that is left, maybe 20 years if im really lucky, and nothing getting back to normal again. Or at least my wife and I not wanting to become part of what passes for normal.
    I agree with that thought process and think it is wise to plan for such a possibility .

I don't know about 20 more years under such conditions at my middle age but I plan to live on my feet not my knees for however long that may be
    DrDP6, airslot and Ghost1958 like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    One possibility for your medical supplies is your local farm supply store. They have quite a variety of veterinary supplies including antibiotics, wound care, sutures, dressings, syringes, scapels, optical medications, etc. Usually the prices are very reasonable. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I think the issue involves BP meds, Heart Meds and possibly insulin?
    DrDP6 and Ghost1958 like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I have often thought about replacements for my heart meds, but as someone stated, there were no natural medicines in use before these drugs were invented. These were all synthesized in a lab. It would be very difficult to stockpile these drugs too.
    DrDP6 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

The vet stuff that can be used I know of " old farm boy here". Thinking of just personally which would be different for everyone what was priority, BP heart type meds.
    The antibiotics of course. Some would think of insulin because if you do need that you need it or else. Dont have that problem myself.

Im guessing and I am looking around as I have time to research it that some more serious type meds could not be substituted for. Some possibly could be either with natural sources or the use of drugs for animals etc that will work for humans also in a pinch but kept a pretty good secret by the drug manufactures.

Its just something I have sort of pondered on. We all tend to think grab the guns water etc but if you do have some illness that pretty much demands you need a type of medication to function effectively physically, without it, the rest wont matter much for very long.
    DrDP6 likes this.

VIP Member
    Other than a few chemo drugs and some formularies that I know of requiring mix and immediate use, most drugs are useful for years and years.

These days I almost always carry Advil in the back country. I once walked a couple of miles back out of a hunting area after chipping my knee cap in a bad fall. 4 Advil saved the day!

Before Advil I used pine needles as a tea for times I didn't feel well. Also have used inner bark of willow for pain relief.

Advil is easier.
    Ghost1958 and DrDP6 like this.

I was only guessing Ghost on the insulin my apologies, BP and some heart meds can be "weaned off" from by lowering the BP with exercise (always have DR guide you ) and sometimes once you have the BP under control a cardiologist will discuss the heart med (depending on what it is for and what it is I assume) aspirin is usually given to heart patients and that would be easy enough, QK is correct shelf life is much longer than noted (they make too much $ to be close to honest regardless to any other "reasons" )

Not being an MD my "advice" is not really advice and worth what was paid for it, I'd talk to your cardiologist and just be honest with "what IF the grid goes down and I can't get this or that" not too long ago anyone with such thoughts conjured up "tin foil hat wearing" BS images, now it's well known it is a legitimate concern. I can't imagine it would hurt anything and there is no shortage of them all over KY anyway LOL
    DrDP6 and Ghost1958 like this.

Administrator
    The harsh reality is that in a true TEOTWAWKI scenario some folks who are completely dependent of life preserving medications and procedures are just not going to survive.

Another harsh reality is that some folks who are young, vibrant, perfectly healthy, and taking no medications and who just ZIG when they should have ZAGGED are also not going to make it.

And as prepared as some of us are...should Lady Luck poke us in the eye with her Fateful Finger we won't make it either.

In advance of the unknown game that may lay ahead we can only attempt to increase our chances and shift the odds a bit further in our favor.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Under a scenario such as that my first stop will be the pharmacy up the street.

Metoprolol, simvastatin, and losartan potassium are on my shopping list.
    Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links