Our furry friends

Our furry friends

This is a discussion on Our furry friends within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just wanted to remind everyone in the really cold areas to remember your pets. Please be sure they have shelter from the intense cold and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Our furry friends

Distinguished Member

Red face Our furry friends

Just wanted to remind everyone in the really cold areas to remember your pets. Please be sure they have shelter from the intense cold and snow. They also need fresh water and more food than normal in cold weather. They can't ask for help, they depend on us for their survival. Thanks to all good pet owners out there.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Thanks for the reminder.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

TN here. Its supposed to hit low of 4 degrees F tonight. People might also want to fill their bathtubs with water.

With temps that cold here, and things like water mains not designed (in many places), for that much cold, their is a good chance that folks will be without water. And Im talking about for use flushing toliets, and the like.

Not trying to hijack a thread, just trying to add a helpful hint on a storm related thread.
    Kavalander and squid86 like this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    yea. i added the oil heater to the chickens normal IR lamp. it's cold out!!
    squid86 likes this.

My pup has it rough, sleeping right next to the bed and all. I mean it must be frigid down on that floor even with his own comfy bed. In all reality he loves all the snow but of course he lets me know when he wants to come back inside to thaw his paws when I let him out to do business/play.

Thanks for the reminder!
    Old Sarge likes this.

+1. We assume the responsibility for our pets and they depend on us.

It was 80* here today. Played golf in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. But it's supposed to get down in the 30s the next couple nights. My cat sleeps on the bed with us every night, warm or cold.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Done.

IMG_0261.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My Pyr is standing at the door, panting. I think he wants to go outside so he can cool off.

It must be getting ready to get real cold --- this may be the first time, ever, that one of my Pyrs ever stopped shedding!!!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Four dogs and herds of cattle of mine are outside. All have been well fed today and will get extra rations first thing in the morning.

Monday-It was 20 degrees here this morning, about what was predicted, so not too bad on outside animals. Our outside dogs have houses they can go in, but I often look out and see they are asleep in the middle of the yard.
    Last edited by ppkheat; January 6th, 2014 at 10:13 AM.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    A very good reminder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Off Topic
    We have had two decently warm days here in the 40s but, still with snow on the ground.

My old Spaniel "Beulah" just had the greatest time out with me frolicking in the snow. She was just like a young pup again.

Even though she really can no longer see or hear. She was so happy and her tail was wagging like crazy the entire time we were out.

The temperature is going to plummet here into Sub-Zero the next two days and I will not take her out when it is that cold.

My dog is spoiled rotten. No danger of her ever freezing.

A REALLY BAD HORRIBLE DAY for my dog is when she does not get a slice of Provolone Cheese and a small handful of LIFE cereal on her food.

She will get all ticked off and won't eat.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Mine sleeps under the covers, and he lets us sleep there too when it's cold.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Good reminder! Thanks!

My old Spaniel "Beulah" just had the greatest time out with me frolicking in the snow. She was just like a young pup again.

Even though she really can no longer see or hear. She was so happy and her tail was wagging like crazy the entire time we were out.
    My 11 YO GSD Dame was frolicking in the snow too. It was fun to watch her having so much fun. She loved it, and is sleeping well tonight.

Our Chicken Coop is not heated. I want them acclimated to the cold, otherwise a power outage could spell their doom if it got cold. The coop is well insulated and draft free. It's been down to -5 inside the coop (-10 or -15 outside) and the chickens have all been OK. The chickens get a lot of corn and corn bread when it's cold, which supposedly helps them stay warm.

The horses, goats and Maggie all get extra hay, which ferments in their guts, creating big internal heaters. Of course, heaters like that need adequate venting.

The dogs...........well....they all have 4" therapeutic foam beads. Poor babies.
    QKShooter and ccw9mm like this.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    my pups are inside dogs, always have been. i couldnt fathom locking them outside. our chickens are outside and have a nice warm heat lamp for this upcoming deep freeze. stay warm everyone.
    StormRhydr and QKShooter like this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

The roughest our dog has it is that her favorite stick is trapped under a sheet of ice. She kept ringing her bathroom bell so she could go out and check on it even though she kept falling on the ice. Right now, she's fast asleep in between my parents in her own blanket.
    QKShooter likes this.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    My Lab and GSP sleep by my bed at night. My German Shepherd patrols the rest of the house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links