Wool Blankets??

This is a discussion on Wool Blankets?? within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; As most everyone knows it's much colder than "usual" in much of the southern parts of the US (-2* here this am well below normal ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Wool Blankets??

Wool Blankets??

As most everyone knows it's much colder than "usual" in much of the southern parts of the US (-2* here this am well below normal ) and for those who live in these temps what wool blankets do you use for camping etc.? Not cheap China stuff but Mil surplus or???
    gatorbait51 and Badey like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

2. Remove Ads

My guess is unless you hit up ebay or the local thrift store you're probably going to pay out the rear for a good thick 100% wool one(Hudson Bay 4 or 6 Point or maybe Pendletons).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

if you can find old military one you will like it. or a older german military one are good too.
    gatorbait51 and RemMod597 like this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    How do you folks feel about down filled comforters or sleeping bags v wool? (Price not being factored in and assuming
    a moderately good quality of down.)
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I spent many a night sleeping under one of Uncle Sam's "US" wool blankets. I used my poncho liner under the wool blanket and stayed warm in some very cold places. IMHO, the poncho liners were some of the best kit I was issued! They are not near as bulky as the wool blanket if weight is a concern.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Wool will retain heat, even when wet. That makes wool very desirable.

I recommend "space blanket" over a pancho liner. Most all heat stays close to the body no matter what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547
    gatorbait51 and Taurahe like this.
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    My guess is unless you hit up ebay or the local thrift store you're probably going to pay out the rear for a good thick 100% wool one(Hudson Bay 4 or 6 Point or maybe Pendletons).
    I've got a couple of decent wool blankets from Early's, the Witney Point blankets. Not as dense and heavy as the 6pt HB type, but similar. Anymore, eBay sourcing is about the only way to find affordable examples.
    gatorbait51 and packinnova like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I spent many a night sleeping under one of Uncle Sam's "US" wool blankets. I used my poncho liner under the wool blanket and stayed warm in some very cold places. IMHO, the poncho liners were some of the best kit I was issued! They are not near as bulky as the wool blanket if weight is a concern.
    Exactly right. Poncho liner is one of the most wonderful and surprisingly effective pieces of gear I ever got my hands on in the military. However, if you're talking sleeping out of doors when temps are in the ~0~ range, IMO you need a bag. Bags take up space, even in a compression sack, but are still lighter and more space-efficient than the stack of wool blankets you'll need.

If you're set on wool, the military ones are not especially effective or durable. I wouldn't be surprised if those are made in China. You can probably find one on sale at your favorite outdoors store cheaper than a mil surplus and it won't be any less useful.

Over the years, my family has found very good deals on various Western European/Eastern European heavy wool military surplus blankets. Usually much cheaper than Uncle Sam's blankets.
    Kavalander and NONAME762 like this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Lots of guys love their "Woobies".
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Forget Uncle Sam's bedding. They make them just so we have to chase dust bunnies 24/7.
    gatorbait51 and TheBigWanad like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    How do you folks feel about down filled comforters or sleeping bags v wool? (Price not being factored in and assuming
    a moderately good quality of down.)
    I dont like down. If it gets wet, its over. At least until it dries out, and thats going to take some time. I like synthetic bags. They work well even if wet. Then again, Im a whitewater Kayaker & Canoeist, and happen to live in a State that gets more rain than does Seattle. At least my part of it, lol.

I sure dont want wool. Moths eat it, its bulky, heavy, etc.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Administrator
    There was a seller on Ebay selling authentic Norwegian MIL surplus 100% Wool blankets - New Old Stock. I should have bought a couple more.

The price was right. Let me check and see how much I paid for mine.

addition ~~~> OK...I paid $39.00 for mine + $9.98 Shipping.

I did quite a bit of Ebay shopping around before I found that seller. He sold 40 of those blankets in one day.

The next day they were sold out.

Usually the weight will read 5.5 LBS for a true 100% heavy, full size MIL WOOL blanket.

It took about a full 5 days being outside airing out for the extra strong MOTH BALL smell to dissipate from mine. It was POWERFUL when I first opened the box.

Be careful if you purchase a laundered used one because the wool can lose some of its excellent natural insulating properties if it has not been laundered correctly.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Be careful if you purchase a laundered used one because the wool can lose some of its excellent natural insulating properties if it has not been laundered correctly.
    Good reminder. Hard to know how anyone has treated it previously, if used. Often, they won't think of it, or won't report properly, or won't know in the case of them being the second or subsequent owner. By which time it's too late, of course.

I'm all for a good, NIB, 6pt "trapper" type blanket of king-size proportions. Nothing like a good, tightly-woven, 10 lb+ blanket with all its natural insulating and water-repellent features intact.

Whenever looking for a decent used blanket, I try to always ask for the scale weight of the blanket and its laundering history (if known). Of course, the good ones owned by folks who know well what they've got command premium prices.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links