Fitting it all in my Pack?

This is a discussion on Fitting it all in my Pack? within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got my new 3 day pack and transferred everything over from my old day pack. I figured I'd have tons of room left over ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Fitting it all in my Pack?

I got my new 3 day pack and transferred everything over from my old day pack. I figured I'd have tons of room left over to fit an AR-7 or a 10/22 takedown, but no such luck. My items are much more organize and more easily accessible, but it doesn't seem like I've got much more room.

How do you fit everything in your pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Does your pack have the ability to add pouches to the outside of it? I usually keep things like my nalgene bottles, first aid kit, ect... on the outside of my pack for quicker access.

But, I also use an Alice pack, so generally room isn't too much of an issue for me.

Are you using compression sacks?
    Aceoky, Badey, mook012 and 1 others like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Does your pack have the ability to add pouches to the outside of it? I usually keep things like my nalgene bottles, first aid kit, ect... on the outside of my pack for quicker access.

But, I also use an Alice pack, so generally room isn't too much of an issue for me.

Are you using compression sacks?
    +1 for that, you could even wrap the take-down gun in a light jacket or something else, and strap it to the outside of the pack. i've also found, if i have something long like that, i will put it in first, and build the rest of the pack around it.

Administrator
    I shuffle things around a LOT.

It is not as easy as you would imagine because you cannot just put stuff in where it seems to fit best.

I like to put heavier items in the middle closer to my back. Stuff that I may need to get to in a hurry in a location where I can access them quickly without taking bunches of stuff out.

Lots of incidental "smalls" I keep outside of the main pack in an accessory pouch. The one on my newest pack is integral to the pack so I did not need to add one on as an accessory.

In there I keep things like Moleskin, Chapstick, a 5 Hour Energy, a food bar, some U.S. Quarters, my Camelbak Elixer, 4 AA Batteries, a small additional flashlight, Some DEET insect repellent, some tightly folded up T-Paper (for that possible emergency #2) some ADVIL, bandaids, etc etc
    I keep my package of CELOX in there because IF I ever NEED THAT it's going to be in a BIG hurry.
    And then to keep it all from shifting around in there I lay a pair of folded socks on the very top which helps keep it all nicely pressed into place.

All of those incidental things that I do not want to rip my main pack apart in order to get to go either in there or attached to the outside webbing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

Another important thing: Change your Bug Out pack contents as the seasons change.
    It's a 3 Day Pack NOT a 4 Seasons Pack.
    You do not want to eat up a bunch of pack space with all of this Winter stuff if it is 95 degrees - Sweltering Hot and Humid outside.
    You just will not need that stuff should you have to Bug Out in Mid-Summer. You would (for sure) not want to waste valuable space by having winter gloves etc in there. \

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You did not mention what bag you bought but, take advantage of that Molle webbing. You can keep things like your knife and Paracord on the outside. Try to find a knife sheath that will accept Molle-loks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Also you do not want to be rattling around with all of this stuff hanging loose on the outside. I use various Molle attachments and then I keep stuff from moving around with either those cloth covered elastic pony tail holders or lengths of 1/8" thickness bungee type cord.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also anything you want to secure to your exterior webbing - there IS an accessory pouch that it will fit into. Search Ebay for MOLLE PALS and you'll see what I mean.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Aceoky, Badey, pgrass101 and 4 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    One of the most useful things that you can add to the outside of your bag is a HSGI (High Speed Gear) Taco Pistol magazine pouch. Not cheap but, worth it.
    You can use those to secure just about anything. Extra Magazine, flashlight, OC Spray, a Leatherman etc etc.
    They are about $25. smacks each though. You might not want to spend that - if not use you ingenuity to make something that will work.

Also you will want to buy some GRIMLOCS (not expensive)

And some Tactical T-Rings

The MAXPEDITION Web Dominators will keep all of your extra strapping nice and neat.

Caertaker, Aceoky, Badey and 4 others like this.

If you're using an ALICE pack, don't forget about the empty triangle btwn the hipbelt, frame, and your lower back - could be a good place for a water bladder.
    QKShooter and Aceoky like this.

Administrator
    These are 360 Rotation "D" rings.

Grimlocs
    OD* likes this.

Can we just sticky QKShooter and be done with it please? I haven't hoisted a pack in a couple years but reading his posts gets me up to speed quickly. Maybe at some point I'll replace my ancient Hines Snowbridge pack and if I do at least I'll have a leg up on researching a new one. Thanks for sharing your knowledge QKShooter!
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Thanks for the replies everyone. This helps! I was looking for molle attachments for my pack for my first aid gear (which takes up more space than I thought). I'll have to pick up some up soon.

I ended up getting the LA Police Gear "Operator Pack." It got a lot of great reviews, and was right around what I was looking to spend. I'm actually quite pleased with he quality of the pack so far. I'll probably post a review after a few months of moderate use.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-operator-backpack.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aceoky likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Administrator
    That will work Badey. Lots of exterior webbing on that one.
    You should also be able to get your take-down rifle on the outside.

Search for: MOLLE WEB LASHING STRAPS

You will also need to decide what items you will likely need to get to without taking off your pack or breaking your stride.

For Example. I ditched my heavier Binoculars and picked up a lightweight Monocular.
    It's not incredible but, it's fog proof and the magnification is OK. Naturally I would want that to be quickly accessible at any time.
    Items like compass or a GPS or a two way radio if you have one.
    A small signal mirror...you would probably want to have that ready for immediate access without having to remove your pack and hunt for it.
    Sunglasses maybe?
    Also...a can of OC if you live in an area where menacing dogs may be a problem.

You will quickly discover that stuff that you would normally keep on your pants belt are not so great in that location with your pack on.

I am still playing around with this spanky new pack so I am just beginning (all over again) to shuffle stuff around and seeing what works best and exactly where.
    pgrass101, Aceoky and Badey like this.

+infinity on Grimlocks
    QKShooter and Aceoky like this.
    "Don't make me assume my ultimate form!"

Hey QKShooter how many 'Nades do you carry?? Just the one? Those are Smoke right??
    QKShooter likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Administrator
    Smoke? Hell no. Don't you know that it's not healthy to smoke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BTW and slightly off topic but, since we ARE in SHTF mode here.

IF you have the room and do not mind the extra weight. Even if you do not smoke, drink alcohol, or chew tobacco....you might want to consider popping in a pack of smokes, and a small one of those little bottles of booze, and some smokeless tobacco. Those items could come in mighty handy even if you do not use them personally.

In fact I think I am going to open up another thread on a somewhat related BUG OUT topic.
    Aceoky, OD*, HotGuns and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Smoke? Hell no. Don't you know that it's not healthy to smoke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BTW and slightly off topic but, since we ARE in SHTF mode here.

IF you have the room and do not mind the extra weight. Even if you do not smoke, drink alcohol, or chew tobacco....you might want to consider popping in a pack of smokes, and a small one of those little bottles of booze, and some smokeless tobacco. Those items could come in mighty handy even if you do not use them personally.

In fact I think I am going to open up another thread on a somewhat related BUG OUT topic.
    Gonna die from something. Might as well enjoy a fine pipe and great tobacco.
    Badey likes this.

VIP Member
    I usually find that if it all won't fit, too much is getting packed. Course I subscribe to the fast and light philosophy.
    Echo_Four likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links