Wilderness Survival Quiz

Wilderness Survival Quiz

This is a discussion on Wilderness Survival Quiz within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I found this online and thought it was pretty cool. You have to write your answers down manually and add your score up at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Wilderness Survival Quiz

Wilderness Survival Quiz

I found this online and thought it was pretty cool. You have to write your answers down manually and add your score up at the end, but it is worth it, IMO.

Quiz: Would You Survive? | Backpacker Magazine

I scored 72.

What did you score?
    Aceoky and NONAME762 like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Toes up in a ravine, somewhere. I'd have my own shovel, so I suppose that's something.

52. Boo. Back-country trips aren't that common for me, these days. Has been a long, long time.
    flintlock62 and NONAME762 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Not as good as you did. I scored a 60. But that's ok, I don't plan to go backpacking anytime soon. At least in this lifetime. Cool quiz, thanks for sharing.
    NONAME762 and Badey like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Distinguished Member
    It wouldn't work on my ipad. I'm sure I would have scored 100.
    oldnfat likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement
    NRA Member

40...looks like I'll avoid the back roads in case I have car trouble. Better yet, I'm locking the door and never going out again.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Romans 12:21

Well Sir I'm pretty proud of myself. I got a 72 also. The bulk of my wilderness skills instruction was 1972 to 1978. When I got the bulk of my Hypothermia prevention and treatment skills the recommended cure was 1) strip victim to birthday suit and into double bag with 2 naked rescuers. 2) If conscious get warm drinks inside them ASAP-tea-coffee-soups-plain warm water even. Apparently the *Naked Method* I learned was boo hoo'ed no doubt by the political correctness crowd.

I didn't care for their Grizzly Bear survival answer either. For starters I ain't going into Grizz country. But I want a 44 Magnum minimum. Better as I've said before I'd want a Blooper (M79) and a dead shot and 6-8 rounds or several sticks of dynamite and a cigar. I'd deal with the Save Our Grizzlies crowd LATER.

I'm a garrison camper and have been the last 20 years. If I can't roll up on my campsite in my truck I AIN'T GOIN'.
    Badey, Kavalander and RichB70 like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I'm a garrison camper and have been the last 20 years. If I can't roll up on my campsite in my truck I AIN'T GOIN'.
    I'm a "garrison" sort, these days, as well. Particularly in grizzly country. Did a bit of camping in Yellowstone, some years ago, but it didn't involve getting off the beaten path into the back country. Avoiding being a M.R.E. is high on my list of things, too. Works out well for me.
    Aceoky, NONAME762 and Badey like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm a city boy, so I have no idea what half of this stuff means??? On a related note: Back in 2011 my two friends and I rode our Harleys from NYC to Alaska. Everybody kept asking what size gun I would need to survive a bear attack? Everybody was so surprised when I told them I only needed a .22 to survive a bear attack! They said that a .22 won't stop a bear. I told them the .22 wasn't gonna stop the bear, but it was gonna slow down one of the other two guys once I shot them in the knee with it. --Sturgis
    NONAME762, Aceoky and mano3 like this.
    S&W 64-4 38 cal
    S&W 640 38 cal
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

That was a good one Sturgis.
    Aceoky likes this.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Lead Moderator
    50 , but I'm confidant in my skills.
    Badey, Aceoky and welder516 like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I scored 69, but I don't know a thing about rappelling. I almost got the "all that applies" questions right. One mistake on each one.

44 - but I've never rappelled or kayaked and don't ever want to.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Ex Member
    I am surprised they mentioned using a watch for a compass. NOBODY knows that.

62. I've never done any real climbing or kayaking, so I missed some of those. General hiking and survival stuff I've got down though.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

That test was the hardest outdoor skills test I can remember taking ever. I was really young back then 72 to 78. I was 20 to 26 years old. I made alot of mistakes back then. Some were embarrassing and some could have turned out worse but always before it got to where it could have turned out deadly for someone I smarted up did the right thing and stuff worked out. At the time I was going to school to become proficient in outdoor skills leadership. The main thing I learned was I was missing a couple attributes that I just could not overcome by training or experience.

Looking back on those years and all that's happened since the one thing I've found that's put more ESAR lives and search and rescue volunteers in harms way needlessly are the fools that go out without the training and without the proper gear but the pansies and morons always had their cell phones with them. If it were up to me every single idiot stepping out of their vehicle at any trailhead anywhere would have a ticked off GSGT R E Ermey type in their face demanding to see if they had The Ten Essentials WITH THEM before they step off. Furthermore they'd be asked for their cell phone to be INSPECTED. Then their cell phone would be dropped on the ground and destroyed right in front of them and then handed back to them with the admonition that if they're without the Ten Essentials they're getting back in their vehicle and going back to where they came from or going to jail for 15 days. No whining, No bravo sierra on their part, no "my daddies a..."

The Ten Essentials:

1- Topographical Map of the area you're going into.
    2- A good Compass and proven ability to use it.
    3- Extra Food snack food like chocolate, energy bars, Pemmican, meat bars or jerky, GORP, dried fruit
    4- Extra Clothing breathable rain gear, wool or wool blend sox, extra shirt, extra pants, stocking hat/brimmed hat gloves, long Johns, bandana.
    5- General Purpose Heavy Duty FAK
    6- Strike Anywhere WP Matches and Dry Tinder and ability to get a fire going anywhere under ANY conditions. IDC if you're a non smoker.
    7- Knife-Sheath knife or folder. Sharpening stone is always a good idea but you MUST have a knife for utility use.
    8- Flashlight
    9- Extra batteries and bulb
    10-Rope Could be Para Cord or climbing rope. Cordage of some type is absolutely necessary.

I know I sound like a hard ass. Well that's just too bad. Life is hard. Life in the wilderness when you're unprepared can be brutal and have deadly consequences.
    Badey likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links