Worth The Weight ?? Thumbs UP or....Thumbs DOWN - You Decide.

This is a discussion on Worth The Weight ?? Thumbs UP or....Thumbs DOWN - You Decide. within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please feel free to add any specific item that you have personally evaluated and have decided (one way or the other) if it is/was Worth ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Worth The Weight ?? Thumbs UP or....Thumbs DOWN - You Decide.

Administrator

Worth The Weight ?? Thumbs UP or....Thumbs DOWN - You Decide.

Please feel free to add any specific item that you have personally evaluated and have decided (one way or the other) if it is/was Worth The Weight or NOT.
    Everything Weighs Something and everything takes up space. Ounces add up to pounds and pounds = PAIN if you are humping too many pounds.

So....help us all decide. Thumbs UP or Thumbs Down on items that you have had personal experience with or you have decided that you WILL INCLUDE in your bag.

OR EXCLUDE FROM YOUR BAG.

It could be your B.O.B. Bug Out Bag ~ Your Get Home Bag ~ or your INCH Bag (I Am Never Coming Home) Bag

I will start off.

SILKY Pocket Saw - I have the PocketBoy -Absolutely worth the weight! It breezes through wood with hardly any effort. It is much less work than chopping. It processes wood beautifully and easily. And it seems to stay razor sharp. Makes shelter building a breeze.
    Thumbs Up! Worth the weight!

WOUNDSEAL Powder
    - About $5.00 - This is a CVS type item. I have personally needed to use this stuff.
    Yes, I carry CELOX but, you would not want to rip open your CELOX or your QuickClot for a P.I.T.A. gash or even a bad cut on the hand, finger, or arm.
    You will want to save that for something more serious and once opened it is no longer sterile.
    This product is 4 little single use tiny packets. Hardly weighs anything at all.
    If I get cut I always let it bleed for a while BUT, there is a time after a few minutes when it needs to STOP bleeding so that you can get back to the business at hand.
    Open up a tiny packet - pour it in and you are pretty much instantly ready to go again.
    Thumbs Up! Worth the weight!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

An awesome topic! Both products you mention are something I'm going to look into
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

I have to admit I have some trouble wrapping my head around the INCH BAG - IF I am never coming back I'd want more than I could possibly carry in any bag , just in ammo (when it gets THAT bad I intend to be able to try to feed & defend us after all) where some type of cart would come into play . Which I guess is more fitting in my WROL TEOFWAWKI thread???
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    I have to admit I have some trouble wrapping my head around the INCH BAG - IF I am never coming back I'd want more than I could possibly carry in any bag , just in ammo (when it gets THAT bad I intend to be able to try to feed & defend us after all) where some type of cart would come into play . Which I guess is more fitting in my WROL TEOFWAWKI thread???
    Aceoky I think where the INCH bag applies is you're alone and your loved one are dead or MIA. In that case the INCH bag would apply.

More than 30 years ago I was camping in the Mount Baker wilderness area with 10 or 12 other folks in winter. We were snow camping. We were using cross country skis or snowshoes otherwise you were belly up. (TU)

One of the worst (sleepless) nights of my life we were spending the night in a cabin along the trail. It was a small cabin. Nestled in the trees at least it was out of the wind. There were sleeping racks in the loft. I was up there.
    With a fire going downstairs it was still bitter cold inside. I was wearing dry wool clothes. Inside my 1.5# down mummy bag I had a 1# down Bivy Bag that came up to my chest. I had my Thinsulate insulated mountain parka (REI) with hood on and was still too cold to get to sleep. I can't remember whether I had it or someone offered it to me. I took a HD type garbage/leaf bag and pulled it up from the foot end of my mummy bag to about my waist. Within 2 minutes or less I was WARM AS TOAST and had stopped moaning and grumbling. I was finally able to get some sleep.

As part of my GP survival gear I ALWAYS HAVE in my truck some large plastic garbage bags. BETTER still is to carry a Tube Tent. Simply crawl into it-pull it over your feet. Tape bottom closed or otherwise close it up to avoid loss of body heat. Pull it over your face leaving a small air hole to breathe.

These emergency tube tents are available from Tacoma WA Mountain Rescue as a single unit or inside their Emergency/Storm Kits. Recreational Equipment Inc is the only place I know of that sells them. I'm no great fan of REI. When REI started they were a great bunch but over the years they were taken over by the tree huggers and Kumbaya bunch.

OK We have a THUMBS UP on a Large Contractor Size Trash Bag.

and another THUMBS UP on one of the TUBE TYPE 1 Person Tents.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I think a roll of high quality duct tape it worth the weight and space. I have yet to meet a situation where duct tape and a little creative engineering couldn't get the job done. From making a splint, to securing the posts of a shelter, to patching a leaky crack in a boot, duct tape can do it (however, I don't like to use it unless I have to).

So We Have A THUMBS UP on a roll of Duct Tape here.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Administrator
    THUMBS DOWN on Super Glue.

Every single bottle or tube of Super Glue has turned unusable before it was even opened & by the time I ever needed it.
    And once opened "forget it" you might as well pitch it unless you use it all.

I know that some folks want it to seal up skin cuts but, go with Wound Closure Strips instead.

I have replaced my Super Glue with a tube of LOCTITE Stick'nSeal ULTRA. UNIVERSAL ADHESIVE

An amazing product. It does not set up as fast as Super Glue but, it is incredibly tough stuff.
    You can use it and reseal the tube and it will still be good the next time you need it.
    It holds amazing well on so many diverse materials.
    I have used it to repair a hole in the bottom of a pair of boots.
    I used it to put the handle back onto a favorite coffee mug of mine and that has been through the dishwasher at least 100 times already.
    I have used it to set the wood handle back into a shovel.
    I have used it on MANY different materials.

So I am giving Thumbs Up to Wound Closure Strips.

Thumbs Up to LOCTITE Stick'nSeal and

Thumbs Down to Crazy Glue or Super Glue.

Administrator
    THUMBS DOWN on this particular CONDOR Tomahawk.

TOO HEAVY for the Bug Out Bag. Tough as Hell. Incredibly strong. But, way too heavy in the handle.

I did modify the SPIKE on mine to make it much more devastating.
    My intention was to lighten the handle up by drilling multiple rows of holes in the handle - Forget That! - I burned out two brand new Made In America High Speed Steel drill bits and shattered two Titanium Nitride coated Carbide Drill bits and got one doggone hole drilled.

A perfect amazingly tough item to store in the vehicle just in case you need to hack through a car door or cave in ZOMBIE Skulls but, POUNDS TOO HEAVY for the B.O.B.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Do not have a CVS but will check Walgreens think it would be great for those on blood thinners like myself, thanks for info.

Here is what you are looking for shadowwalker.
    added by QKS
    QKShooter likes this.

Administrator
    I forgot to mention this. WOUNDSEAL.

My M-In-Law is 92 years old. Last year she slid under her bed while she was making her bed. Don't ask me HOW she did that? These slippers she was wearing I think.

Anyway she scraped layers of skin right off both of her shins in two very large patches & as above she is on blood thinners. Two quite deep scrapes.

She did not want to go to the the doctor and she would not stop bleeding.

I sprayed them down with Wound Wash and then spilled on 1/2 Peroxide 1/2 Distilled Water.
    Dabbed them off and she (of course) was still bleeding profusely.
    I got the WoundSeal out of the B.O.B. and it took all four little packets but the bleeding stopped almost immediately.
    I decided to put really light pressure on both with two sheets of plastic wrap for a few minutes since the areas were so large.
    I did not want to use sterile gauze because I was afraid it would stick and I would not be able to get it back off without causing bleeding again.
    Both of her legs looked like absolute hell with big brown crusty looking scabs but, when that eventually came off she was perfectly healed.

This is a VERY GOOD product.
    atctimmy, NONAME762 and sioux565 like this.

Thumbs up

153892835_1111-2323.jpg

on Datrex emergency water pouches. Some may not think it is worth the weight, but if you are bugging out and can't find a water source, and extra 16 ounces of water (which is what I carry, and is only a pound) can mean the difference between life and death. They are in hearty plastic shells that can freeze and thaw many times without rupturing (I've tested this at length), and they have a shelf life of roughly 4 years. Your lifestraw or Berkey Sport filters don't do you any good if there isn't any water around.

Thumbs down

On regular bottled water (for emergency water). If your gear shifts, it can crush the bottle, and the water leaks out inside your pack.
    sioux565 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I'll dispel a popular myth - sutures. You need a sterile environment and tools and a way to thoroughly deep clean the wound otherwise you wind up sealing bacteria in the wound and you also create 2 more puncture wounds for each suture to boot. Clean it well and use steri-stips. Let your body flush out the nasties like it's supposed to. Honey and cayenne pepper are natural bacteria killers. THUMBS DOWN

Mora knives - THUMBS UP. Inexpensive, fixed blade, carbon steel for ferro rods, easy sharpening, and edge retention.

Moleskin - THUMBS UP. Cap the blister - cut 2 pieces bigger than the blister/hotspot, cut a hole in piece one so it doesn't stick to the sore, cut the backing of piece 2 so it sticks on top of piece 1 but leave the backing in the center so it doesn't stick to the sore.
    NONAME762 and QKShooter like this.

Administrator
    Some of you will remember when I taught myself basic suturing. I bought a decent suture instrument kit and basically taught myself by watching some YouTube Videos.

I practiced stitching stitching up slices in oranges etc.

The suturing needles were sterile but expired and intended for student practice or vet use only.

I still vote THUMBS DOWN on a suture kit for the B.O.B. - Go with the WOUND CLOSURE STRIPS.

A suture kit...FINE for Home SHTF. Not great for the B.O.B.

The instrument kit adds weight and you can't really suture properly without the instruments.

The WOUND CLOSURE STRIPS work surprisingly well.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Aceoky I think where the INCH bag applies is you're alone and your loved one are dead or MIA. In that case the INCH bag would apply.

More than 30 years ago I was camping in the Mount Baker wilderness area with 10 or 12 other folks in winter. We were snow camping. We were using cross country skis or snowshoes otherwise you were belly up. (TU)

One of the worst (sleepless) nights of my life we were spending the night in a cabin along the trail. It was a small cabin. Nestled in the trees at least it was out of the wind. There were sleeping racks in the loft. I was up there.
    With a fire going downstairs it was still bitter cold inside. I was wearing dry wool clothes. Inside my 1.5# down mummy bag I had a 1# down Bivy Bag that came up to my chest. I had my Thinsulate insulated mountain parka (REI) with hood on and was still too cold to get to sleep. I can't remember whether I had it or someone offered it to me. I took a HD type garbage/leaf bag and pulled it up from the foot end of my mummy bag to about my waist. Within 2 minutes or less I was WARM AS TOAST and had stopped moaning and grumbling. I was finally able to get some sleep.

As part of my GP survival gear I ALWAYS HAVE in my truck some large plastic garbage bags. BETTER still is to carry a Tube Tent. Simply crawl into it-pull it over your feet. Tape bottom closed or otherwise close it up to avoid loss of body heat. Pull it over your face leaving a small air hole to breathe.

These emergency tube tents are available from Tacoma WA Mountain Rescue as a single unit or inside their Emergency/Storm Kits. Recreational Equipment Inc is the only place I know of that sells them. I'm no great fan of REI. When REI started they were a great bunch but over the years they were taken over by the tree huggers and Kumbaya bunch.

OK We have a THUMBS UP on a Large Contractor Size Trash Bag.

and another THUMBS UP on one of the TUBE TYPE 1 Person Tents.
    That makes very good sense - my point was to HOPE to get to the Rocky MTS (or Smokey) BEFORE the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI hits - rather be months prior to one day late when the armed roadblocks are up (IMHO)

Thumbs Up on SAM Splint. Can be used on multiple parts of the body. I've used this a couple times on athletes with broken wrists and feet.

sam_man3.jpgsam-sp10.jpg
    QKShooter likes this.

I did not know Celox or quick clot existed. I'm buying some immediately.
    fredg53 likes this.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links