Alone in the Wilderness - Dick Proenneke

This is a discussion on Alone in the Wilderness - Dick Proenneke within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not sure if anyone has encountered Dick Proenneke's Alone in the Wilderness movie before. It used to run it as a fund raiser for ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By Caertaker
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 2 Post By Gearhead
  • 2 Post By upnorth
  • 1 Post By GraySkies
  • 1 Post By ctr
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: Alone in the Wilderness - Dick Proenneke

I'm not sure if anyone has encountered Dick Proenneke's Alone in the Wilderness movie before. It used to run it as a fund raiser for Detroit Public Television. The first time I saw it I sat mesmerized as I watched this 51 year old man actually living out my childhood dream. The video below gives you an idea of the craftsmanship he is able to achieve with fairly primitive tools but it is only just a start. It skips over him whittling door hinges and a locking door mechanism. There is a link at the end where you can purchase all the footage if you're so inclined.

This link shows him making a spoon: Alone in the Wilderness part II - YouTube
    Aceoky, Badey, Gearhead and 1 others like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

I have read about him and watched some of these videos. His story is inspiring.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member
    I don't know if I'd pay 22 bucks for the rest of the footage, but then again maybe. That was good stuff. It may be worth it just to revisit documentary style from the era. Thanks.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I loved the Dick Proenneke footage. This has to have been one of the most interesting documentaries that I've ever seen in my life. I'd recommend it to anyone. This is the only reality show I want to watch!
    Caertaker and Aceoky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    I don't know if I'd pay 22 bucks for the rest of the footage, but then again maybe. That was good stuff. It may be worth it just to revisit documentary style from the era. Thanks.
    I bought the DVD'S a few year years ago and would have paid twice that amount once I sat down and watched them. Besides, some of the proceeds go to the PBS stations. Well woth the coin in my opinion.
    Aceoky and ctr like this.

I also have the book and movie version of the main footage. Worth it. This guy was a tough old sailor. He lived on his own and didn't leave the cabin in the wilderness until he was in his 80's.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

VIP Member
    I own the movie and watch is a couple of times a year. Dick was a true handyman and good at it.
    Aceoky likes this.

Very impressive, and interesting.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    There was a feature on the Discovery channel last year. A two-part mini series. Gerat stuff!
    I didn't know there was a book available, searching for it right now.

Sponsored Links