WV water contamination

WV water contamination

This is a discussion on WV water contamination within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Watching the people in Charleston scramble for water is really scary if only they had a way to filter water from another source. I picked ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: WV water contamination

WV water contamination

Watching the people in Charleston scramble for water is really scary if only they had a way to filter water from another source. I picked up one of these Sawyer Squeeze? Filter System | Sawyer early last year and am really impressed with it. Granted it does not remove chemicals but I would go to a lake or uncontaminated creek to fill my jugs. Please keep a way to filter or store water handy in troubled times it makes life easier.
    Last edited by jbum; January 11th, 2014 at 10:27 PM.
    Badey likes this.

I was thinking about this too. Another good filter is the Berkey Sport or any of the Berkey line.

http://www.directive21.com/products/...-water-bottle/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jbum and Aceoky like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    On a side note, whose brother-in-law thought it was a good idea to store 4-methylcyclohexane methanol in a tank about a mile upriver from a water plant?
    msgt/ret, jbum, airslot and 3 others like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    On a side note, whose brother-in-law thought it was a good idea to store 4-methylcyclohexane methanol in a tank about a mile upriver from a water plant?
    Jeanlouise's.
    PEF, Badey and BurgerBoy like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I was thinking about this too. Another good filter is the Berkey Sport or any of the Berkey line.

Sports Bottle Water Filter | Berkey Sport Bottle | Portable Water Filter

Berkey does make quality stuff. I keep a Lifestraw in my edc bag and in all our vehicles they are around 20 bucks and do 1000 liters you can drink right from a puddle with them.
    Badey, NONAME762 and BenGoodLuck like this.

What contaminated the water? Would a home reverse osmosis filter take care of the contaminated water supply?

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    And that folks is why I have 6 months of water and food at ALL times. I also have the ability to purify my own water as needed using the sun. Depending on the pipes always keeping you alive is not a good plan.
    Richard58 and miller_man like this.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    What contaminated the water? Would a home reverse osmosis filter take care of the contaminated water supply?
    It was a chemical used to rinse coal.

Folks in the affected counties can only use that water to flush toilets.

For any of our members in the affected areas I would continue to use bottled water for a while PAST when you are told it is safe to drink it. Because everybody knows you can always trust what the Powers That Be tell you.

Our tap water here is very pure but, I still run all of our drinking water through a Berkey.

I was using the Berkey with the additional Fluoride filters but, fairly recently our Water Authority lowered the Fluoride level down lower than what is present in most bottled water. So I am not so concerned about it now.

People are not aware of the fact that most bottled water still contains Fluoride and I want MY water to be as nature created it and not laced with a chemical that is a hazardous waste byproduct of the fertilizer manufacturing industry that they could not figure out what to do with.

Certain things ARE found naturally in the human body. Magnesium, selenium, Zinc, etc. etc....NOT Fluoride.

Funny how Fluoride is considered to be a toxic POISON in toothpaste. Read on every toothpaste tube what you are told to do if your child eats toothpaste!
    I'll clue you in. Do Not Swallow Toothpaste ! CONTACT YOUR LOCAL POISON CONTROL CENTER!

Fluoride in drinking water does not prevent cavities.

Do your own research. Search Dangers of Fluoride in drinking water.
    molleur, Aceoky, Betty and 1 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Two is one, one is none ...
    One source of water alone is iffy: you are depending absolutely on that one source for your only supply.
    I do not wish to be dependent on one system or one source.
    Having alternatives is always a good idea.
    Always.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Administrator
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

WV water contamination

Methylcyclohexane Methanol is the chemical. It's used to clean coal before it's sold. It's an alcohol according to what I read about it. I grew up in the Charleston metro (the Capital city and most densely populated area in the state) and still live pretty close. Someone asked why there would be tanks so close to the river. We all ask that ourselves. I'm guessing they use the river for manufacturing purposes, such as cooling. I'm really not sure.

Charleston and the surrounding area is known as "The Chemical Valley". We have DuPont, Sanofi Aventis, and Dow among several others. At one time the area was on Saddam's hit list for attacks on American soil. Not coincidentally (I'm sure), most of these facilities are along the Kanawha River. The location on the Elk River where the spill occurred is literally in sight of where it dumps into the Kanawha. The Kanawha is huge, and about 50 or so miles later (by roads) it dumps into the Ohio, which is the second or third largest river in the country and eventually hits the Mississippi. Traces of that chemical will go a long way, but in my non-scientist opinion, that several thousand gallons of MCHM is being dispersed into billions of gallons of water and soil and won't be a real concern later on.

As for now though, that chemical company (Freedom Industries) is in major trouble. Luckily, people in this area have been amazing. Those who are with other water providers and local businesses are opening their doors for water to drink, showers, meals, etc, the state and Feds are giving it away, and local grocers such as Wal Mart are getting truckloads of water all day long. People are taking care of each other. It's been nice to see.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Certain things ARE found naturally in the human body. Magnesium, selenium, Zinc, etc. etc....NOT Fluoride.

Funny how Fluoride is considered to be a toxic POISON in toothpaste. Read on every toothpaste tube what you are told to do if your child eats toothpaste!
    I'll clue you in. Do Not Swallow Toothpaste ! CONTACT YOUR LOCAL POISON CONTROL CENTER!

Fluoride in drinking water does not prevent cavities.

Do your own research. Search Dangers of Fluoride in drinking water.

We all use fluoride-free toothpaste and have a great filter hooked up to the fridge water dispenser that filters out a lot of contaminants, and it specializes in fluoride. We didn't dish out for the filter system that hooks up to the whole house, but that could be in the future. We got ours from filterwater.com.

We keep 6 months of water in Water Bricks.
    QKShooter, miller_man and Aceoky like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    We all use fluoride-free toothpaste and have a great filter hooked up to the fridge water dispenser that filters out a lot of contaminants, and it specializes in fluoride. We didn't dish out for the filter system that hooks up to the whole house, but that could be in the future. We got ours from filterwater.com.

We keep 6 months of water in Water Bricks.
    What is the shelf life of water?

VIP Member
    5 years with a water preserver.

link
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    What is the shelf life of water?
    Forever...it's just the crap in it that goes bad.
    Hopyard likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links