Favorite backpacking foods

This is a discussion on Favorite backpacking foods within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Most of my personal backpacking adventures have been limited to under 72 hours, and have included pretty basic fare. Usually I just pack in mass ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Favorite backpacking foods

Favorite backpacking foods

Most of my personal backpacking adventures have been limited to under 72 hours, and have included pretty basic fare. Usually I just pack in mass produced canned foods (chili, stew, ect...) which make up evening meals, and then have trail mix, jerky, fruits, ect... that I can eat on the move throughout the day.

When small game is in season that, or fishing is obviously an option. What are some of your favorite tips and tricks for sustenance while in the backwoods? I am not necessarily talking about your great dutch oven chili recipe that is used while car camping. But foods that have a good weight/utility ratio.

EDIT: I have also eaten enough MRE's in my life to know that I don't really want to go that route.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I like making my own gorp. It can vary, but is usually a mix of nuts like peanuts/cashews, craisins, little pretzel stix, M&Ms or yogurt-covered raisins (if I'm going into a hot climate, I'll skip the meltables), other dried fruits like apples and banana chips, granola. I make a kiddie gorp when we're out on a day trip with the kids, and that's usually a mix of craisins, goldfish crackers, yogurt covered raisins, cereal and pistachios. My kids are addicted to pistachios.

Jerky is always a winner; I like the Jack Links beef steak bites.

Sardines in hot sauce. Yes, I'm sorry.

Hot sauce - the little Tobasco bottles. Always some kind of condiment to make bland fare better.
    QKShooter, Aceoky, ccw9mm and 1 others like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    I like making my own gorp. It can vary, but is usually a mix of nuts like peanuts/cashews, craisins, little pretzel stix, M&Ms or yogurt-covered raisins (if I'm going into a hot climate, I'll skip the meltables), other dried fruits like apples and banana chips, granola. I make a kiddie gorp when we're out on a day trip with the kids, and that's usually a mix of craisins, goldfish crackers, yogurt covered raisins, cereal and pistachios. My kids are addicted to pistachios.

Jerky is always a winner; I like the Jack Links beef steak bites.

Sardines in hot sauce. Yes, I'm sorry.

Hot sauce - the little Tobasco bottles. Always some kind of condiment to make bland fare better.
    Hot sauce is one comfort item I pretty much always have in my pack, something that started for me with my time in the infantry. With enough hot sauce, almost anything is edible. Although, I prefer other brands over Tobasco personally.
    nedrgr21 and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

If you can boil water mountainhouse has good stuff. Really light. Much better than any MRE entree. A couple clif bars, some beef jerky, a mountainhouse or two and a can of dip per day will get you where you need to go.

VIP Member
    For hot sauce, ever try TN Sunshine? I think it is great:

TryMe Tennessee Sunshine Hot Pepper Sauce - 5 oz.: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

.....even though I no longer can have hot pepper anything.

No time to make your own trail mix or bars? Look into the Goononya brand bars. They are a little pricey, but all natural and organic ingredients and big enough to keep you full for a while.

Amazon.com: goodonya bar: Grocery & Gourmet Food

I buy them for a lot less money through my food buying club.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Mountain House, Copenhagen, and trail mix.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I personally like spam as a camp food. Cook it over an open fire, serve with an egg or 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aceoky likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I personally like spam as a camp food. Cook it over an open fire, serve with an egg or 2.

In Afghanistan, we used to fry spam, Ramen, and soy sauce together, and make a meal.

It really wasn't as bad as it sounds.
    Badey, Aceoky, molleur and 2 others like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

The wife is handicapped and doesn't come with me. So I only go out for one over night. This is my opportunity get my fish in(She developed a seafood allergy late in life so I don't eat it in front of her.) So my backpacking eats kipper snacks and stuffed grape leaves. Neither can requires an opener and together they are a good mix of protein and carbs.

This reminded me of a bivouac I had back in the late 60's. A buddy of mind pulled out a large coffee can od green with the words t-bone steaks stenciled in black. It contained 10 t-bones to be soaked in water for 6 hours than cook. I can tell you that you would need a very good chain saw to cut those babys after cooking them. Agree with jerky, chocolate an redman.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Mountain House, Copenhagen, and trail mix.
    The issue I have with a lot of the Mountain House backpacking meals, is IMO, they are over priced for what they are. If you compare the nutritional info of say, their beef stew, with a can of Chunky beef stew, they are pretty much the same, and the Chunky is half the price.

I gave up Copenhagen back when I was getting out of the Corps, so none for me please.
    Aceoky and surefire7 like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The issue I have with a lot of the Mountain House backpacking meals, is IMO, they are over priced for what they are. If you compare the nutritional info of say, their beef stew, with a can of Chunky beef stew, they are pretty much the same, and the Chunky is half the price.

I gave up Copenhagen back when I was getting out of the Corps, so none for me please.
    Understand the price thing; but it's not like you are eating it like groceries, and it's less than half the weight of a can of beef stew, which to me is worth the trade off.
    Aceoky and molleur like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

+1 for mountain house, great calories to ounces ratio specially if you add olive or coconut oil. I like them for meals. On the go, clif bars and/or gels.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

Chunky may be half the price but do you really want to carry it? Lugging around cans isn't my idea of fun.

I've got mixed feelings on the weight issue. If its a day hike, an extra pound or 2 isn't a big deal. If its a three day hike, the extra 3 to 6 pounds is a bit of a nuisance.

"My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links