Let's Talk About COLD WEATHER Head Coverings - Hats Etc.

This is a discussion on Let's Talk About COLD WEATHER Head Coverings - Hats Etc. within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think it was two Winters ago I bought a surplus wool watch-cap that had a Gore-Tex liner between two layers of wool. It was ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Let's Talk About COLD WEATHER Head Coverings - Hats Etc.

Administrator

I think it was two Winters ago I bought a surplus wool watch-cap that had a Gore-Tex liner between two layers of wool.

It was warm enough but, never fit quite correctly. It also crackled due to the Gore-Tex wich I did not like very much.

And then at some point the moths made a feast of it and when I pulled it out this Winter it had multiple various size holes in it.

So...I just bought another one in Polar Fleece - I think it is a 5.11 HellStorm and that should be arriving tomorrow.

So I have no idea how that will work out yet but, I DO know for a fact that the moths will not be munching on it.

I am not sure if we are going to be getting any more Super Sub-Freezing temperatures but, (for sure) Winter is not over yet here in Pennsylvania.

Which brings me right around to the topic of this thread.

What do you put on your personal noggin when the Mercury freezes solid inside the ol' thermometer?

When the temps start diving below ZERO F - and it's windy I sure DO need a piece of headgear that covers my ears or my shooting related Tinnitus gets worse.

One piece of advice I can give folks is to keep your neck warm BECAUSE the warmer the circulating blood is going up TO your head the less any hat needs to keep it warm.

Any replies are (of course) welcome and even a few smart-ass answers from our resident Florida members are welcome.

Even though I chuckle out loud at how FREEZING COLD you FLA Folks feel when the temp drops below 60 Degrees F when I could go for a dip in the OHIO River when it is 49 Degrees F outside and just feel pleasantly refreshed.

So...what is your favorite extreme cold weather headgear? Inquiring Minds Want To Know.

I bought one of these jobbers that this white guy is wearing.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Please allow me to be the first resident Florida smart-ass. I cover my bald head with sun screen in the winter. There, I did it.
    Aceoky, Greghan, DJC7 and 10 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Well here we do get < 0 not really often but "enough " to suit me - I usually make do with a regular toboggan & coat/jacket with a hood if needed
    QKShooter likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

I always just use a typical stocking cap. Worked fine during the polar vortex!
    QKShooter and Aceoky like this.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Please allow me to be the first resident Florida smart-ass. I cover my bald head with sun screen in the winter. There, I did it.
    Hahaha, that's funny! Here in NC it does get cold, but not the kind of cold your talking about. I wear a simple toboggan to keep me warm.
    QKShooter, BugDude and Aceoky like this.

An acrylic Carhart stocking cap, but it's got to be frigid before I'll give up my Stetson. That's kept me toasty to -20 in high winds, but not for hours on end. It would not do in sustained sub-zero.

The "neck" comment is on point too - I got some base layer/long-sleeved undershirts stuff earlier this winter that are turtle neck - otherwise my neck gets cold, and then I'll never warm up. I go with the base layer, a cotton long-sleeved golf shirt with a button-up wool overshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Greghan View Post
    Hahaha, that's funny! Here in NC it does get cold, but not the kind of cold your talking about. I wear a simple toboggan to keep me warm.
    I grew up in NC and visit there often. Did some snow tubing over Christmas in Boone. I underestimated my tolerance to cold and re-acclimated quickly. Within 30 minutes I was sweating, had my jacket unzipped, toboggan in my coat pocket, and my gloves off. I did keep my scarf around my neck though. Been back in FL a few weeks and already 65* feels bone chilling. Can't wait for it to get back in the 80s.
    Greghan and QKShooter like this.

When it gets really cold I usually go with a fleece cap and neck gaiter. That way I can cover everything except for my eyes.

Of course, this also creates the issues of condensation from my breath adding moisture to the neck gaiter, and it freezing if it is cold enough.
    Aceoky and QKShooter like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    If that don't work for you get a rag wool one it was great when it was -26 and I think it cost 12 bucks.
    Aceoky and QKShooter like this.

Really cold weather is very rare here in Northwest Oregon. I wear a baseball hat with the brim in front to keep the rain off of my eyeglasses.
    QKShooter and Aceoky like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    What do you put on your personal noggin when the Mercury freezes solid inside the ol' thermometer?

When the temps start diving below ZERO F - and it's windy ...
    The most-effective setup that I have found is similar to the hands: a "base" insulating layer with a heavier-weight over-garment that'll keep out the wet and wind. In the case of gloves, a "silk" liner and lined wool glove with a tight weave does wonders. Similarly, in the case of the head a liner of some sort along with a lined wool (or Thinsulate alternative) hat with an outer layer that keeps out wind/rain seems to work best for me. So long as it's not dripping wet outside, this method has worked far better for me than the comparatively unbreathable "magic cloth" alternatives (such as Gore Tex or whatever). Lesson: layering is good.

Of course, getting wet and/or staying out all day puts a heavy premium on proper layering and on the outer layer's impermeability to water/wind.

* BTW, this is from someone who can wear shorts in 25F and remain comfortable, and who seemingly doesn't need more than a decent jacket and gloves in -20F ... presuming I'm not outside for hours. So, take this for what it's worth (the "nickel" it cost you to read).
    BugDude, QKShooter and Aceoky like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    When I was shopping around I was going to buy one of these wool Afghan Pakol hats (which are reportedly quite warm) but, then my "better half" said that she would never go anywhere out in public with me and also the do not really cover the ears.
    BugDude and Aceoky like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

... but, then my "better half" said that she would never go anywhere out in public with me and also the do not really cover the ears.
    You sure it was the "ears" she had a problem with, bub?
    BugDude and Aceoky like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

When I was shopping around I was going to buy one of these wool Afghan Pakol hats (which are reportedly quite warm) but, then my "better half" said that she would never go anywhere out in public with me and also the do not really cover the ears.
    Is that a "Tactical" Afghan Pakol hat???

On a related note, I have some shemaghs that I picked up in my travels, which can be utilized for a wide variety of techniques to help retain warmth. They can be worn as a scarf, headwrap, face covering, ect...

Of course, they are kind of "tacti-cool in vogue" these days, even among the non-shooting crowd. So I don't wear one socially, but will still use them for hunting and the like.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links