Primitive Weapons

Primitive Weapons

This is a discussion on Primitive Weapons within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone ever developed some skill with a primitive or unusual weapon? Iím not really thinking escrema sticks here but something to help harvest small ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Primitive Weapons

Primitive Weapons

Has anyone ever developed some skill with a primitive or unusual weapon? Iím not really thinking escrema sticks here but something to help harvest small game. Obviously time spent at this stage of the game would be better invested in trapping but if youíve got game like this man, Iíd love to hear about it:

nechaev, CIBMike and ugh762x39 like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpationsĒ Ė James Madison 1788

Rat traps loaded with peanut butter for squirrels.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I've learned a few

Sling. (Made my own)
    Slingshot
    Escrima sticks
    Bo staff

I think the sling was the most fun to learn, but also the most challenging.
    Aceoky and Caertaker like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    No, but I've always wanted to try out an atlatl. I'll have to go about making one some day.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I have tried a blow gun. It was the easiest thing to master that I have ever tried.
    Caertaker likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Does a muzzleloader count? If so I harvest a deer every year with one!
    Badey, StormRhydr and Caertaker like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Sponsor
    Bow and Arrow.
    With my compound hunting bow(AR34) I'm near 100% out to 60yds with a clear, unobstructed shot(target range). I'm only confident to 20yds, and not really "Bull's Eye" accurate with a primitive long bow shooting instinctive.
    Caertaker likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Administrator
    Aceoky and nechaev like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    This guy has got the hang of it.
    I would love to make one also.

nechaev, Aceoky and Caertaker like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    I have a few bows , compound and traditional. I also have a slingshot I have been practicing with and tried squirrel hunting with last fall.
    Caertaker and Aceoky like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    blow guns aren't good for small game, the little wires go right through them and they run around with the little wire imaling them, kind of cruel really. easy, accurate, but not effective killers, we used them a lot as kids. can't stress enough how gross they are for rodents though, i remember putting like 9 wires in one ground squirrel, he was running around looking like a porcupine(except all the oranges "dresses" on one end of the wire)until he tried to go in his hole, then he hit all those wites, and screamed...last time we used blow guns on squirrels... maybe with poison(illegal) or some sort of broadhead...if that even exists...

sling shots with wrist braces(we called em wrist rockets) are great for rodents close up. kind of tricky to get good and accurate with, but once you get the hang of it, easy.

i don't consider compund bows primitive weapons.... but i've shot and can do okay with recurves, never shot a long bow...

+1 wanna try an atlatl.
    never used an actual sling.
    Caertaker likes this.

After watching what a real sling-pro can do (an Israeli if I recall correctly) I was completely intrigued. I then build one out of woven paracord with a golfball-sized pouch (I have LOTS of shag balls). A little practice and I was making hits on clay pigeons at 15-20 yards. And at 25 yards it'll sail a Titlest right through 1/2" plywood. Cheap fun, effective Kerr-POW! It makes the whole David & Goliath party MUCH EASIER to understand.
    Aceoky and Caertaker like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Now, look at it this way: These are what we would be reduced/forced into using if the Government succeeds in taking our firearms.
    Caertaker and Kavalander like this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Rev Stacey Groscup did a special on the History Channel on primitive weapons . He was a personal friend and taught me a lot . He amazed me and many others with what could be done with a bit of practice . Hitting thrown baby asprin tablets with a long bow was sop for him .
    Caertaker and Aceoky like this.

Primitive Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I have tried a blow gun. It was the easiest thing to master that I have ever tried.
    I played around with an 18" blowgun (I think I got it from the Sportsman's Guide catalog), but never really got into it.
    Caertaker likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links