Hand Sharpened my Mora - It Shaved Some Hair

This is a discussion on Hand Sharpened my Mora - It Shaved Some Hair within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just thought I'd share my success. I used to be terrible at hand sharpening. I kept practicing, and today, I decided to sharpen my ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 2 Post By ctr
  • 1 Post By Stevew
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By TX expat

Thread: Hand Sharpened my Mora - It Shaved Some Hair

I just thought I'd share my success.

I used to be terrible at hand sharpening. I kept practicing, and today, I decided to sharpen my mora. It went from not being able to shave any hair when I started, to shaving some (not totally "tree topping") when I was done!

I think sharpening is a good bushcraft skill to have, and I'm on my way to being able to do it half-way decently.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

So, what technique and tools did you use? Am presuming it wasn't the 'letric sharpener from Wal-Mart.

I still suck at sharpening. Have never gotten reliable results. Also haven't done the WorkSharp "belt sander" type methods, which I'm sure would get things hair-splittingly sharp.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I used a Smith's tri-hone bench stone set (coarse, fine, and extra-fine stones), then I put a piece of paper over one of the stones and stropped on it.

I locked my wrist, went very slowly, and checked the edge frequently. Also, I took a break partway through, because I was getting frustrated. It actually helped a lot.

I didn't use any jigs or other tools. The knife has a scandi grind, so it is much easier to sharpen than any of my other knives, which is probably why I got the results I did.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Mora is a good knife, and a great value.
    Badey and Aceoky like this.

Spyderco Sharpmaker, all your knives will shave with ease. I have a bunch of Smith stones and Arkansas stones and whet stones and ceramic stones and steels.
    Try the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I have been sharpening shaving sharp with all kinds of stones for decades. Nothing has been easier than the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

My el cheapie white handled kitchen knives from SAMs Club will shave.
    Badey likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I have a sharp maker, but haven't used it yet (I just got it about a month ago). I'll have to give it a try.

Administrator
    Keep at it.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I have a sharp maker, but haven't used it yet (I just got it about a month ago). I'll have to give it a try.
    With a scandi grind, I think you'll get the best results placing your Sharpmaker sticks flat and working with it like a regular stone (there are grooves for this on the underside of the base). There's numerous threads that discuss this on various forums but basically because of the grind type, you'll most likely create a second bevel if you try to sharpen your Mora with the angled sticks.

I've got a couple of Moras and I've always sharpened them with the flat stick method with very good results.
    Aceoky likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Links