Yep, I ate that

Yep, I ate that

This is a discussion on Yep, I ate that within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; This morning, as I ate my way through an expired Ramen cup 'o noodles, I got to thinking about things that would sustain you in ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree227Likes

Thread: Yep, I ate that

Yep, I ate that

This morning, as I ate my way through an expired Ramen cup 'o noodles, I got to thinking about things that would sustain you in a pinch but might not exactly be your first choice in ordinary circumstances. I think we've all heard and seen primitive cuisine featuring bugs, grubs, scorpions or other things, but what is the most shocking, unappealing but perhaps downright useful thing you have personally eaten?

I have little firsthand experience in gathering things from nature (not counting berries or nuts here) but I did consume the better part of a plate of my "pledge meal" once. We were assured that it was all "food" and although I had no trouble keeping it down some of my pledge brothers were not so lucky. Based on that prior experience, I think I could bring myself to eat anything if I needed to survive. I just need to benefit from some first hand knowledge.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    Looking at that title, I thought this was a thread about "potted meat". YIKES ! I ate plenty of it as a kid, but had to choke it down. No more.

I've never been stranded where I had to eat roots, bark, eyeballs, etc.......nor a 100 year old egg.

Just regular stuff around here though it might sound unappealing to some:
    Hog head cheese, calf brains/scrambled eggs, rooster oysters, sour milk (by accident)

I've never seen it made, but I've heard that if you ever see the ingredients that goes into chicken weiners you'd never eat them again. Actually that applies to a lot of stuff.

I've got my boundaries, but I'm not particularly squeamish about trying something. I have a standing joke around here that my "survival food" while traveling (no time for a meal) is a Dr. Pepper and package of peanut butter cheese crackers. Something about that combo that I can easily miss a meal. I think the key word there is "bloated".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

mkh
    I love pork brains and scrambled eggs. It was our traditional Christmas morning breakfast until I couldn't fin the brains anymore.

VIP Member
    Ramen noodles mixed with tuna, canned cheese and crackers are the mainstay of my diet when the chow hall sucks.

I honestly don't know what all I have eaten over here. Sheep, goat, some kind of bird, spiced raw sheep meat, hommas, all sorts of things on a stick. I am pretty much a garbage gut so I will try anything.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member
    I went through SERE school and can tell you the longer you go without food the less you are caught thinking about it.

The hardest thing for me was learning the south East Asian food. Once I got my head over the hurdle the rest was easy. The biggest problem is some one in a group eating things they don't know and getting sick. Once you are sick and running at both ends you can die very quickly not to mention what you do to a team if you got sick for being stupid. Stick with what you know won't make you sick. Rattle snake is very good to eat but it does you no good if you get bitten collecting it.

I recommend a book to study and keep with you Palmer/Fowler Fieldbook of Natural History second edition. Don't be thrown off by price you can get them used for $8.00.

Remember the food chain capture something small and use it for bait to catch the next size up. Don't think in terms of large animals you can't carry it or preserve it. Stop around animals the size of guinea pigs they were originally raised in Europe for a one person meal.

I know you want to know the grossest thing but if your mind is right there is no gross thing. I became friends with a very primitive native. He asked me several things once we were friends. Do you Americans really let milk spoil and compress it then let mold collect on it then eat it. Yes we eat cheese. Do you eat possum and so the conversation went. To him eating grubs was very normal but took a lot of work on my part.

enjoy the learning and do it before you need it.

VIP Member
    In my travels around the world there is no telling just what I have eaten, two of my favorites were the barbequed squid on a stick on the beach in Thailand and what we called “puppy on a pole” in the PI. But there is not enough beer or alcohol in the world to get me to try balut.
    tdave, Aceoky, molleur and 6 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

This brings a related point to mind... It doesnt matter what WE can eat, if our loved ones wont touch it. Btw, if there are any of you out there who still think nonsense like: If they are hungry enough they will eat it. Get over it. It doesnt work that way.

It works the same for fluids. Believe it or not some people wont touch water. It kind of shocked me to find that out, but its true. Put something flavored in it, and they will guzzle it down, but plain water...nope. I actually DO think if they got thirsty enough they might drink water, but its cheap and simple to prepare for this contingency. Ie powdered gatoraid or propel mix. Even koolaid mix.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I'm wondering if the OP's avatar has anything to do with the subject matter.

Wouldn't eat balut did try boiled monkey. I've made my own rattle snake and at different times jack rabbit.

I've yet to find food I couldn't eat. Except for my mom's Brussels sprouts, which are GROSS and she kept making them good lord whyyyyy.

My nephew had some stir fry kitty once on an off-shore rig by Africa.

Me.........I was adventurous at times.........less so now.......

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Monkey wasn't too bad, although they did try to gross people out by showing one that had the hair removed. I think a few people thought it looked too much like a baby or undersized human.
    I thought it tasted like stringy roast beef.

Ramen noodles expire?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    In my travels around the world there is no telling just what I have eaten, two of my favorites were the barbequed squid on a stick on the beach in Thailand and what we called “puppy on a pole” in the PI. But there is not enough beer or alcohol in the world to get me to try balut.
    Been there, done that! Balut is probably the worst. I'd rather eat a rat (I have). Monkey's will do, not bad at all.

Ex Member
    I have eaten maggot infested rice. I picked out the ones that were moving and ate the rest. 3 days without food will do that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links