Fire Starters

This is a discussion on Fire Starters within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Besides matches and lighters, what other fire starter do you use/like and why? I've tried a few different types of fire starters, but I seem ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Fire Starters

Fire Starters

Besides matches and lighters, what other fire starter do you use/like and why?

I've tried a few different types of fire starters, but I seem to get the most consistent results with the Coleman Fire Starter.

coleman fire starter.jpg
    Aceoky likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    We bought one like this,seems like good quality. I also store a pile of disposable lighters.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Distinguished Member
    Small tin of vaselene impregnated cotton balls with a magnesium rod & steel works well. You could use some dryer lint too.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Magnesium bar with flint and steel. Also try your hand at a fire piston, after you master it you can start a fire with a single plunge on the piston. I have also keep some steel wool in my survival bag. you can start a fire with the steel wool and the batteries out of your flashlight. Got at least a dozen more ideas....
    1MoreGoodGuy and StormRhydr like this.
    William Wallace: There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it.

I like the compressed saw dust & wax thingys. They come in a variety of shapes, and colors. Coleman makes some, and off brand ones are sometimes found.

They are the darndest things. If you find them, but a supply of them, because you might not see them for a very long time again.

Oh, dont feel obligated to use an entire pre marked section. You can cut off as little as you like, and just use that. A pack lasts a very long time that. Cost: $2-3 a pack.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

VIP Member
    Yes I know I am old but if you can find some Trioxane it’s a great fire starter and burns for a long time.
    1MoreGoodGuy and StormRhydr like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    Got a bunch of these off of Ebay for cheap. Unscrew the top and strike it on the side. The match has a wick in it that holds lighter fluid.

They work great.

$(KGrHqJ,!jQE+)NL,Co9BQQjyGW5M!~~60_12.GIF
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

What other ignition sources do you use?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

I make it a priority to have several ways to make a fire- yes it is that important
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    I make it a priority to have several ways to make a fire- yes it is that important
    Me too. What ignition sources do you use?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

I have lighters, matches, mag blocks firesteels, Vaseline/cotton balls, dryer lint- hand sanitizer is great addition also (takes a spark and burns hot) ,probably some more I'm forgetting at the moment .
    StormRhydr and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

I predominately use Firesteels and strikers, I have one in every bag and vehicle. Some of the best I've found are from this company:

FireSteel.com - Best FireSteel

I like them better than the Sweedish, and they're cheaper. They also sell blank rods, and rods with lanyard loops so you can make your own handles. Combined with some cotton balls and Vaseline, they work extremely well.

Chuck
    1MoreGoodGuy and Aceoky like this.
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    I like the magnesium/flints and keep a Doan in my mini kit. I also have a Vargo titanium flint lighter that lights up Tinder-Quiks beautifully.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Yes I know I am old but if you can find some Trioxane it’s a great fire starter and burns for a long time.
    I had to google Trioxane. I have used that stuff since I was a boy, but didnt know what it was called. Great stuff, and those little fold up stoves work great.

Distinguished Member
    I always have a folding stove and Trioxane in my kit. Google folding emergency stoves, lots of DIY info.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links