La times piece on EMP

La times piece on EMP

This is a discussion on La times piece on EMP within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Concern grows over possibility of a massive power surge - latimes.com Happy some people are seeing what a nasty bit this could be. A emp ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: La times piece on EMP

La times piece on EMP

Concern grows over possibility of a massive power surge - latimes.com

Happy some people are seeing what a nasty bit this could be.

A emp is one of few things that really does bother me as mankind has not face true mass global hit since the late 1800 when there was barley any electric power out there .. Even the hi orbit emp blast back in the 60s again a lot more cathord ray tubes that are a heck of a lot harder to fry then computer ... Heck this is the half the reason the Russkies still use catho ray tubes in some of there combat jets ...

I dont know what else to say but to show this starfish_prime.jpg this is HI at near Midnight the blast took down bugler alarms etc .. Remember this is the days pre chip imagine that now .....

The hope is now we are able to predicted them and try to shild/harden prior to impact.. Course they are wanting to defund that too
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

There is no doubt it would be very bad - many things we "take for granted"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

And I thought this thread was about the Springfield Armory EMP. I really like them! Not too wild about the electronic version.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Natural or man-made, if widespread it will have far-reaching serious effects.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Been a while since I've seen the term or it being talked about. I do know it would be devastating.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Carry means carry. That means all of the time. If you don't, you're just kidding yourself and opening up options for someone to take you down.

Distinguished Member
    Could be devestating, widespread looting, home invasions, etc. Be prepared to do without for at least a month!
    bigpapa likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    an excellent, but now dated, book about this is called "war day".

one horror story i once heard(i have no idea of the validity) is that a good bit of russian nuclear missiles are "dead man" systems.
    So if the computers and systems controlling the launch of those missiles is wrecked by an EMP, the missiles will auto-launch. Joy.

Hopefully the EMP also takes out the missiles. the info i got didn't mentipon this, and i don't know how resistant a russian ICBM is to EMP, hopefully we never find out....

nuclear reactors would melt-down... airplanes lose power, boats and even sub could lose power... almost all cars become useless. we'd basically have to start over from about 1750. we'd recover technology quicker, but the damge to society....

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    You should see the hardening that Minuteman III LF's have been fitted with to guard against just such an occurrence.
    Kavalander likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

oh..since it's a piece in the LA Times, i know how they can combat this EMP threat!!

first, LA County passes a law saying that California is an EMP Free Zone.
    Then, they make the EMP manufacturers Micro-Stamp there EMP's.
    Then they restrict the capacity of your EMP "clips".
    Then they make a list of approved EMP's.
    Then EMP manufacturers stop selling to Kali.

And noe Kalifornia is safe from EMP's. Shouldn't we all be so lucky?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    oh..since it's a piece in the LA Times, i know how they can combat this EMP threat!!

first, LA County passes a law saying that California is an EMP Free Zone.
    Then, they make the EMP manufacturers Micro-Stamp there EMP's.
    Then they restrict the capacity of your EMP "clips".
    Then they make a list of approved EMP's.
    Then EMP manufacturers stop selling to Kali.

And noe Kalifornia is safe from EMP's. Shouldn't we all be so lucky?!?!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I am currently reading "One Second After". One Second After - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Its got me thinking about stockpiling more supplies
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    I am currently reading "One Second After". One Second After - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Its got me thinking about stockpiling more supplies
    "Lights Out" is even better. I think they're making the movie.
    Kavalander likes this.

Well if the information in the following report is correct, I won't have to spend down any of my retirement funds to buy a bobbed duece - still I want one!
    bobbed duece.jpg
    "We tested a sample of 37 cars in an EMP simulation laboratory, with automobile vintages
    ranging from 1986 through 2002. Automobiles of these vintages include extensive
    electronics and represent a significant fraction of automobiles on the road today. The
    testing was conducted by exposing running and nonrunning automobiles to sequentially
    increasing EMP field intensities. If anomalous response (either temporary or permanent)
    was observed, the testing of that particular automobile was stopped. If no anomalous
    response was observed, the testing was continued up to the field intensity limits of the
    simulation capability (approximately 50 kV/m).
    Automobiles were subjected to EMP environments under both engine turned off and
    engine turned on conditions. No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles
    that were not turned on during EMP exposure. The most serious effect observed on running
    automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately
    30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a
    stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile
    were damaged and required repair. Other effects were relatively minor. Twenty-five
    automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g.,
    blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct. Eight of the
    37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response.
    Based on these test results, we expect few automobile effects at EMP field levels below
    25 kV/m. Approximately 10 percent or more of the automobiles exposed to higher field
    levels may experience serious EMP effects, including engine stall, that require driver
    intervention to correct. We further expect that at least two out of three automobiles on the
    road will manifest some nuisance response at these higher field levels."

Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

333px-High_altitude_EMP.gif

except it appears nuclear weapons produce a kv/m output starting @ 10, and going to 50+. notice this graph is from a study in 1975. i have heard, completely unsupported, that some nuclear weapons may be able to go as high as 80-100 kv/m.

what can our sun produce?
    Aceoky likes this.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    Could be devastating, widespread looting, home invasions, etc. Be prepared to do without for at least a month!
    It's good that you said "at least" a month because should the entire grid get fried it could potentially be years.
    Basic Hydroelectric power should still be operational at the immediate source.

It won't just be looting and home invasions that will need to be dealt with.
    What happens when the back-up generators that cool 200 Nuc power plants run out of their limited reserve fuel and there is no way to resupply that fuel because all vehicle electrical systems have been cooked also? And the fuel pumps are without power and all lines of communication are inoperable and all of those knowledgeable plant workers are no longer at work but are busy someplace else protecting their own loved ones? Of course they could get to work by bicycle I guess if they didn't get hi-jacked on the road by bicycle thieves wanting to kill them in order to steal one of the only remaining viable modes of transportation.
    Aceoky, ctr, 1MoreGoodGuy and 1 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links