Tents

Tents

This is a discussion on Tents within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just thought I'd get a thread started about tents so we can all share our thoughts on the tents we use/have. Whether it is a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Tents

VIP Member

Tents

Just thought I'd get a thread started about tents so we can all share our thoughts on the tents we use/have.

Whether it is a 1 person or 2 person or 12 person tent or something in-between lets hear about it.

Do you use it for camping or is for a bug out bag or a get home bag or an INCH bag or something else?

I use a Kelty Trail Ridge 2 when I go camping. I prefer a 2 person tent when sleeping solo because I like having the extra space to spread out. This is a really good quality tent that cost $199.95 at Cabela's. This tent has 68-denier polyester floor and the 75-denier fly have a protective, 1,800mm water-resistant coating. Tough, 68-denier polyester walls.

Kelty Trail Ridge Tents – 2-person : Cabela's

I also have two other tents by two different manufacturers that are both very similar to the Kelty Trail Ridge 2 but cost a whole lot less. All three tents are about the same size and look very similar. There are a few minor differences and the quality is still pretty good on the lower priced tents. These lower priced tents are dedicated tents for our emergency bags (bug out bags and get home bags).

The first one you can get for $99.99 at Cabela's. It is called the Cabela's Getaway 2. This tent is crafted of polyester taffeta with a 68-denier, 1,200mm waterproof-rated floor and drizzle-shedding rain fly with taped seams. The walls are 450mm No-See-Um mesh.

Cabela's Getaway 2-Person Tent : Cabela's

The second one is a bargain at only $69.99 from Target. It is called the Swiss Gear Alpine 2. I got this tent on sale for $49.99 at my local Target store…it was a steal at that price…I haven't seen it in the stores since but is is still available online at the $69.99 price. In my opinion this is a great tent for emergency bags because the quality is decent, the weight is nearly identical to the others I listed above and the price won't break the bank for outfitting your bag/bags with a two person shelter that will get the job done.

SwissGear Alpine Peak 2 Person Tent : Target

I also have a Coleman 4 person tent called the Sunset Dunes 4 (I think the new name for this is Sundome 4). It cost $79.99 which is exactly $79.99 too much. I'm not a big fan of this tent. It is bulky, heavy (pretty sure it is lined with 3 - 4 coats of lead) and setup is unbelievably long…I can setup all three of the 2 person tents listed above while blindfolded in less time than it will take me to setup this one 4 person tent.

Coleman - Coleman - Sundome® 4 Tent - Coleman Dome Tents - Sundome® 4 Tent

I also have a Coleman 8 person two room instant tent. It costs $179.00. Setup is a breeze but you don't want to carry this monster more than a few feet. This is a decent tent for the price. If you want/need a large space you should check this one out. If there is an emergency and you are bugging out and you have room in your vehicle toss this monster in the back.

Purchase the Coleman Instant Tent, 8 person at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

So that's it for my tents. Let's here about your tents.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I started using NEMO tents about 5 years ago. Good quality and some are ultra light. They even have one that has not poles, uses blowup air bladders. I can stake it down get inside and blow it up around me. Great in a downpour.
    Was skeptical at first, but took it to a trip to west Texas, 50mph wind gusts and it was the only tent left standing. Also have one of there ultra light tents for long treks where weight and pack space are at a minimum. Lasted on a Philmont trek with no problems
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    William Wallace: There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it.

Administrator
    I am always searching for a slightly used (in good condition) NEMO Go Go to pop up on the web for a less than retail price.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm starting to second guess my decision to participate in the forum. First y'all start talking about survival knifes in an unrelated thread when my new one is sitting on my porch. Now you bring up tents when I just dug one out of the basement this morning after years of neglect. You sure you aren't spying on me? o.O

I have three serviceable tents: two for backpacking and one for car camping. I'd be lying if I said I've used any but the Coleman dome recently. The old Ridgerest pad doesn't work as well as it used to so I bought something I could easily put a blow-up bed in and still have plenty of room for my blind poodle to walk around it.

I don't remember which came first but the nicest tent I have is a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. It's listed as a two person tent but I wouldn't climb in it with anyone except a member of the opposite sex. It has a mesh roof and looks like this with the rain fly on:
    sd-cfl-rfly.jpg

The other one I have (which I dug out this morning) is really nothing more than a bivy sack. It earned a grunt of approval from the crusty old float plane pilot who flew me into Isle Royale. I still regard that as a badge of honor since he was known for not talking to anyone. It kind of broke the ice and we carried on a couple sentence conversation. It looks like this:
    Eureka solitaire.jpg
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member
    For camping I put together a Baker tent from some Harbor Freight canvas drop cloths and waterproofed it. Works well,
    but HEAVY, just throw it in the truck when we go.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    We have an REI Half Dome 2 that we use for hiking/ camping. These days it is in the big bugout bag that my husband would carry. It packs down decently, it's waterproof, roomy for two, with an exit on each side. Our family of 4 could fit in it.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    I recently added a Black Diamond first light . Just enough room for two and you are close to each other. Works well enough , but no gear storage within. It is only a few pounds and keep the wind and rain off . We use a gander mountian two person tent that has since been discontinued. Great room and storage near the head just outside the tent. 6 lb mean it isn't a hiker any more.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Another REI half dome user here. It is probably a bit roomier/heavier than I actually need when going out solo, but I like it. I like having the ability to bring gear inside in case of bad weather, something that a bivy sack doesn't always allow for.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    I also have used a "alpha tent" year round (basically a mil poncho with tent poles cut to fit), as well as just a sil nylon tarp for cover. The alpha tent works well for those shorter than 6' +.
    1MoreGoodGuy and Aceoky like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Just recently had a conversation with a close buddy, we spent lot & LOTS of time, decades ago, camping, climbing & hiking together. We noticed a consistency during our chat. NONE of our 70s-80s gear was now trashed, outdated or ineffective. That's because we bought TOP QUALITY gear at the time. Northface VE24 tents, Lowe Alpine System packs, Abercrombie & Fitch parkas (well-before AF was a trendy mall shop, they were a true expedition outfitter). The point it - spend the money to get the BEST there is, and you'll never have to...replace it. Nor is it likely to quit on you at precisely the wrong moment.
    1MoreGoodGuy and manolito like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have a no-name that I bought for $30 at Big 5 about 5 years ago. It's not as weatherproof as some of the name brand ones, but it's VERY light and together with the big silnylon tarp strung between two trees over it, it works great. The mild (but wet) climate here doesn't really justify doing more.

I know, I'm a cheapskate.

I'm sure I have just as much fun in the backcountry as most of the folks with $400 tents, though.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

I used to do a lot of tent camping, and always found it amusing how many people would show up just before dark with a new tent that had never been out of the box, and then spend the next few hours cussing and fighting trying to get the things up. Add some good wind, and it gets funny as heck. I keep a small Kelty in my truck tool box in case of emergencies, but otherwise the tent stuff, I now leave to the younger folks.
    1MoreGoodGuy and Caertaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    For camping I put together a Baker tent from some Harbor Freight canvas drop cloths and waterproofed it. Works well,
    but HEAVY, just throw it in the truck when we go.
    Mr Molleur I like the way you think.
    In 1988 I had a guy who was a 1 man canvas shop custom make me a Wedge tent. It was $160 out the door. It's 6 feet at the peak. Nine feet long with a four foot bell for spare gear. Six feet wide and door ties open or closed. Most of the poles are Lodgepole Pine I've had 25 years.

I've had it in Monsoon rainstorms that dropped an inch of rain in 20 minutes. I only got wet if I went outside. I've set it up near Bonners Ferry Idaho amidst snow patches. My stove kept it a toasty 75-80* at night. From a distance the soft glow of candle lanterns inside are really neat.

My camp chairs were all hand made. As is my Grub Box. I sleep on a platform I made from short poles 2x4's and 1x6 fence boards. A couple of OD insulated pads+my Thermarest and I'm comfy. Underneath I store firewood.

This has been my main tent since 1988. It has served me well. I've had 2 wall tents a Miners tent and I have some tarps, all canvas. It's canvas or nuttin for me as long as I have my truck. It sets up well with 3 poles minimum but I run it with 6 poles as I have done it that way forever+I set up a flag or 2 always.

I bought an REI Expedition tent in early 1975. This was their Best in house made winter tent back then. With poles stakes guy lines fly and stuff sack it was 5.5# At 5x7x about 40" it was pretty roomy for 2. Gear/cooking vestibule with zip out spot to set stove on ground. Vent above cooking spot and snow tunnel to connect 2 tents. The floor and 6 inches up the sidewalls were waterproofed as was the fly. I paid $130 for it then got $13 back in my dividend that year.

REI sells a kind of (nylon) 'family style' tent I really like. I call it a Quonset Hut style. It's gray/red color. I'd rather have an OD/tan but that's me. It has 2 'rooms'. One large space would be my preference plus a sleeve for stove pipe. I saw a Quonset Hut style tent about 30 feet long by 10 feet wide in Montana in 1991. Overlapped tarps had left a hole about 2 feet by 2 feet in the center for a small campfire. It was one of the coolest shelters to stand in I ever saw.

I like canvas.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

REI Hobitat 4 (you just gotta love that name) REI Hobitat 6 Tent - Special Buy - Free Shipping at REI-OUTLET.com

Mountain Hardware 3 person Mtn Tent.

For warmth, I go with the MTN Hardware tent. For summertime and early fall/spring, I go with the Hobitat.

For those that dont know, the season rating of a tent is a big deal. Essentially there are warm weather tents, and cold weather tents, wish some cross over with 3 season.

My Hobitat has great ventilation. Which means you will freeze your rear end off, if used in cold weather. BUT, its great for summer camping.

The MTN tent I have been in in very high winds, and very cold temps. And was snug & warm. Then again, it would be miserable in the summer time.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I used to do a lot of tent camping, and always found it amusing how many people would show up just before dark with a new tent that had never been out of the box, and then spend the next few hours cussing and fighting trying to get the things up. Add some good wind, and it gets funny as heck. I keep a small Kelty in my truck tool box in case of emergencies, but otherwise the tent stuff, I now leave to the younger folks.
    Was that you beside me watching those poor folks? I rolled up one night in Cataldo Idaho well after dark. I watched some people struggling to set their lodge up. I just adjusted my seat best I could and sacked out behind the wheel. BTDT
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links