You Wake Up Tomorrow Morning To Find....

This is a discussion on You Wake Up Tomorrow Morning To Find.... within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's 7:26 am. You just woke up and turned on the TV. It's obvious something big is happening but you haven't yet grasped what. Then, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: You Wake Up Tomorrow Morning To Find....

You Wake Up Tomorrow Morning To Find....

It's 7:26 am. You just woke up and turned on the TV. It's obvious something big is happening but you haven't yet grasped what. Then, the anchor recaps the top story......

"The United States has defaulted on its massive foreign debt payments and the national economy has collapsed." All banks are closed indefinitely. All groceries, malls, retail of any kind are closed indefinitely. Cash is worthless. There are no such things as credit cards anymore. The thing we've all known is coming for some time isn't just coming anymore.....it's here. The local power utility announces that it can operate at full power for only another 6 days without supplies of fuel. The local water utility can operate for up to another 10 days without treatment supplies but will mostly fail if the electricity fails. Water flow will have nearly no pressure and an absolute boil order will be mandatory. All gas stations have been ordered to close immediately. Travel on all roadways is prohibited. There is no Internet and the cell phone network appears dead. The federal government is in chaos. Everyone is claiming to be in charge. There are rumors that the U.S. military may have taken control of Washington, DC. No one knows if groceries and the like will be available again soon or if at all. If so, it seems likely it will be at least weeks before it happens.......

Take a look around your home. Without leaving, could you survive a month with only what you currently possess? Food? Water? How about defense? Some of your neighbors have likely prepared. Most have not. Have you seen the panic buying at a grocery when there is 7" of snow forecast for tonight? Can you imagine what that looks like when there is absolutely nowhere to go for anything.....except, perhaps, your house..... Are you ready for all of this?

You have to survive and you have to defend. It's now 9:00 am and you've have time to absorb all of the above. You need to act. What are the first 3 things you're going to do? I'll eliminate some variables for you. It's not a school day and, if you have kids, they're all at home, still in bed. The entire family (just you or all 6 of you, whatever) are at home. You have what you have. What are you first 3 moves?It could vary a bit depending on if you live in an urban subdivision or in a rural area. It could also vary by how many legitimate defenders live in your home.

What say you?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i'd run over the WROL thread...!

thats pretty much shtf scenario 2 for me. ill be bugging out. scenario 1 is shtf right now or already has and i would hunker down until the immediate dust settles then leave. but this scenario has given me time to get out while the situation is somewhat still steady. if major utilities will be up for another week and then shut down that gives me a week until the real shtf.

my first three moves would be to pack all the stuff i could load into by bov, head out, and secure all my stuff at bug out location.

VIP Member
    1). make sure everyone is on the same page ( aware, armed, accounted)
    2). Secure our property ( prep house and trailer) we are rural
    3). go into our survival mode
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

1. Send a mass text to anyone that I want to come to my place letting them know the vital info and letting them know they can come to my place if they are willing to risk travel (the sooner the better).

2. Inform my family and discuss rules and goals for today, tomorrow, the week, and long-term.

3. Talk to my neighbors about how we can work together, and start organizing water storage, food, and security.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    I'd take up smoking, as I doubt cigarettes would be the end of me.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    3. Talk to my neighbors about how we can work together, and start organizing water storage, food, and security.
    Excellent. The scenario I described above is one from a survival lesson we used to have back when we had the gun store business a million years ago. Forming a cooperative with neighbors, trying to prevent the inevitable as long as possible, is absolutely vital amongst urban dwellers. Making your potential neighbor adversary your partner is a really smart thing to do.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

I'll probably just laugh, and be happy! No more payments, don't have to go to work.

Take a chair, grab my rifle, and walk up the hill where I can watch the world go crazy while I enjoy a drink of homemade hibiscus wine.
    The world isn't ending, it's just resetting itself.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'd probably change the channel and see if there was anything good on FX.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I'll probably just laugh, and be happy! No more payments, don't have to go to work.

Take a chair, grab my rifle, and walk up the hill where I can watch the world go crazy while I enjoy a drink of homemade hibiscus wine.
    The world isn't ending, it's just resetting itself.
    I have some wild raspberry hibiscus tea that is simply the best.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I have some wild raspberry hibiscus tea that is simply the best.
    We could do some trading.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I actually bought a house that I think could be defended. Good neighborhood, but in the woods, winding, Mountainous like bends, twists, steep hills. A chain saw would halt mobile marauders.

Yes, I have what I need to survive. Water would be slightly problematic, but water sources are plentiful here, and nearby, and I would have access by ATV to haul what I needed. I can purify whatever I need.

My first concerns would be getting the neighbors in on the act, and getting any relatives out who needed it. There is a remote secondary location I could bug out too, but that wouldnt be my first option.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

Sadly, most have absolutely no clue what they'd do. They are totally unprepared. My guess is that 80% of those in urban settings couldn't last 7 days without resorting to desperate means to survive.

I would go to Defensive Carry and start a new thread asking for advice.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member
    If you must bug in, Badey's post pretty much nails it. water & game not a real problem here but fuel and looting gangs may be. Learn something from those thousands in Bosnia that set up neighborhoods to protect themselves from EVERYONE.
    Aceoky and Wunderneun like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links