Winter's here - got a shovel

This is a discussion on Winter's here - got a shovel within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, Why this guy didn't have a shovel baffles me. There's a huge winter storm making its way across the US. I grew up ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CLASS3NH

Thread: Winter's here - got a shovel

Hey guys,

Why this guy didn't have a shovel baffles me. There's a huge winter storm making its way across the US. I grew up in the south and now I'm in northern MO and have had a snow shovel in my car/apt since my first winter here. I was talking to a neighbor and hear this guy spinning his tires back and forth. I figured I better give him a hand before he blows up a tire - yup, it can happen.

Earlier this morning a truck got stuck in the same spot and the plow couldn't clear the area. This guy decides to back up into the worst part of it - while driving a RWD car. Now he's stuck and pissed and talking about suing people. I brought over a plastic dohicky from Walmart called a "Tread Ahead" over but he was really stuck. I asked if he had a shovel and he said no with a real attitude. Welp, back to the apt for the shovel - kinda thought about abandoning him after the talk of suing people for his stupidity. After a good bit of digging and putting the TA in place (warning: it's directional) he got out. I thought he was gonna have a heart attack in the middle of the parking lot.

He probably spun a few thousand miles off his tires and commented "boy are you prepared". I just grinned.

Just another winter reminder to put a shovel in your trunks - they make folding/extending ones now. Some sort of tread you can put down in the snow is good to have as well. He would've been in real trouble had this happened on the road instead of 20 ft from his front door. Also, be careful of the dummies you try to help - I made sure I was aware of what he was doing and stayed clear of his tires as he kept punching the accelerator. That TA shot out from under his tire when he got going and I swear I thought I was going to actually witness a blown up tire tonight.

Shovel, a couple tubes of sand, and 2 20ft. carpet runners. I've used them a few times over the years to get people out of the stupid situation in which they managed to insert themselves.

Sand or Kitty litter works just fine. The more ya spin the tires, the more friction that may develop into a icy area. Couple strips of old carpet work well too.
    Caertaker likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Sponsored Links