Emergency home preparations

This is a discussion on Emergency home preparations within the Bushcraft - Primitive Skills - Survival Skills - Camping forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm trying to get my household prepared for basic situations. Locally the past couple years we've had a MASSIVE 600k people power outage that lasted ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Emergency home preparations

I'm trying to get my household prepared for basic situations. Locally the past couple years we've had a MASSIVE 600k people power outage that lasted up to 2 weeks, major flooding, then a few weeks ago a chemical spill into the main water source I'm sure you all heard about, and lots of random power outages overall, plus the most snow and coldest temperatures we've had in years this winter. I've managed to get through every one of those situations by the sheer luck of not being in the affected area. I know eventually it'll get us.

I have and am continuing to add more food and water. At the moment I've got enough water for the four of us for a couple weeks or so (in addition to our normal kitchen and pantry stuff) and food for a couple weeks to a month but I'm adding to that stuff on every store trip now. I took up hunting, I've got matches, fire starters, gas siphon, lots of batteries and flashlights, likely buying a generator this weekend, a small window AC unit that shouldn't put too much load on a medium sized generator and just found out that my big vent free propane heater will still function in a power outage (has electric fan and thermostat normally). I'll probably also fill a couple 5 gallon gas containers and add stabilizer, although I'm not sure the best place to store them as I've read that sheds are bad in summer and I don't have a garage. I store my regular mower gas under an attached car port at the moment. I'm also working on some bags and supplies for our vehicles, and in the event of relocation my daily driver will go just about anywhere. I also have a pretty good place to relocate to that's only about 20 minutes from my house.

I'm not turning into a full-on prepper here but..what else do I need for maybe 3 months of semi independence? I don't intend to store that much gas at one time but I'd like to be able to go day-to-day without having to run out in search of stuff at the stores if they're open or have to depend on the FEMA dole too much. I've got the LDS preparedness manual and although it's incredible, it's also WAY beyond what I'm up for. I'm less concerned about a full-on apocalypse, and thinking more along the lines of a natural disaster, short term financial collapse nationally or just having something to supplement an unexpected loss of income in the household.

OK..enough rambling.
    Kavalander, drbald1 and Caertaker like this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    forget a generator. if your area gets regular sunlight, i think this is the ticket.

2546 ? Solar e Power? Cube 1500 - Solar Industrial - Solar Innovations - Products

1500 watts is just enough, you won't be able to run the AC and the microwave at the same time. but it doesn't require fuel, oil, no noise, no fumes.... did you know if you're living on a generator it will likely need an oil change EVERY DAY? at least a few times a week?

it costs more than an entry level generator, but less than a good one...

the only thing i want to do before buying one of these is call the company, WAGAN, and ask them bout long term, prepper-like, storage....

oh, and basic medical supplies, not just bandages, but thinks like mucinex, bee sting stuff, anti-hystamines...

also, sanitation stuff, toilet paper, extra soaps on hand, trash bags for getting rid of "waste".

communication, maybe pick up a cheap CB radio??
    Patti and WisconsinJohns like this.

Being prepared is VERY smart, and relying on more than one source for 'your needs' is a good idea, too!
    I'm blown away by people I talk with about 'planning for the future'...most think that they will just go to the store, go hunting, or are sure the 'gubermint' will take care of all.

I believe that the real tests will take place within the next 18 months, or so...coming to an area near you soon.
    Aceoky, Arejay, Patti and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

We live in an area that has the possibility of Hurricanes, but no flodding. Since it is relatively warm throughout the year, I don't seat the generator for power. I can be in the dark for a while. My concern is water and food. So, I have the basic canned stuff, but also MREs for extended time frames. Also, we only can store so much water and you should changed out the stored water periodically, so a water purification system is of greater importance IMHO.
    Kavalander likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR202 View Post
    .....I'm less concerned about a full-on apocalypse, and thinking more along the lines of a natural disaster, short term financial collapse nationally or just having something to supplement an unexpected loss of income in the household.

OK..enough rambling.
    For a "short term" situation, one where what was "normal" before is expected to return in the next 1-2 weeks, your preparations are likely to be sufficient. The real test is going to be when we get to the point that "normal" goes away and it's clear that it's not coming back for a very long time (if ever.) Since you expressly aren't planning for that eventuality, I won't list the seemingly amazingly long list of things one needs to be getting NOW.
    Aceoky, Kavalander and PJR202 like this.

Senior Moderator
    A rain barrels, a good water filter, a vegetable garden, a way to cook and heat your home that is not tied to the grid (wood).
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    For a "short term" situation, one where what was "normal" before is expected to return in the next 1-2 weeks, your preparations are likely to be sufficient. The real test is going to be when we get to the point that "normal" goes away and it's clear that it's not coming back for a very long time (if ever.) Since you expressly aren't planning for that eventuality, I won't list the seemingly amazingly long list of things one needs to be getting NOW.
    i know, right? i've been a tin-foil hat prepper since about '97, and it seems like the more stuff i get, the more stuff i realize i need.....
    Aceoky and ScubaSteve08 like this.

May I also add looking into body armor if this really does turn bad and people find out you have supplies .....

Ditto at least one "scary rifle " like a ak or ar with plenty of mags and ammo if they turns Katerina on us.. A 30 cal is ok for hunting but when the hungry masses turn up ...

And as other said rain barrels are good and a good non powered filtrating system would be a good thing to have.

And looking into non gmo ( that is they can reproduce not die off ) seeds for grains and vegetables .. Also soil whatever else is needed for growing said crops

Maybe a handcranck radio for news

And a ham radio or such with manual power or car power or battery for communication

But if you are talking shtf economy hits the fan then I can not stress enough the value of firepower and armor . When the lights go dime people get despret SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA

Also look at stuff like the foxfire books and other things of that nature .. Physical stuff to have on hand ..

And maybe a tool to crack open the lid for the underground storage tanks .. Remember most modern cars have anti siphon tec so you may have to get it from the source ..

Also look at physical goods for battering . Cig and booze are always popular when the money goes ditto physical samples of wealth ( junk silver etc)

You can also get large food safe drums and store stablized water in that as well... And maybe a non gas away to get around ( bikes etc with pull cars)
    Aceoky, Caertaker, Patti and 1 others like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Also I suggested know where you live and what threats/advantage they are ...

Is there a large distribution center nearby that would have bulk goods for walmart etc
    Is there a dangerous plant nearby ( ie chemical nuclear etc ) and what stepths should you take if that goes (mask/potassium iodine etc)
    etc
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Solar cooker and solar water purifier. Try to limit relying of stuff that might not be available for a while. Salt and other long storage spices, makes anything you cook much more palatable.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Also I suggested know where you live and what threats/advantage they are ...

Is there a large distribution center nearby that would have bulk goods for walmart etc
    100% agree. When it comes time to do what you have to do, there are no rules. For the first few days, even your local Walmart (and the like) would be a source. But......could you risk leaving your home long-enough to go there????? I would think that any such excursion would have to occur very early in the crisis. After that, the risk of leaving your home unsecured would be too great.
    WrongRecroom and Aceoky like this.

I wonder what you mean when you say that you have several months of water on hand? Do you mean drinking water? If so, thats fine, but tend to think drinking water for LONG TERM use is over rated.

What you and your family will REALLY care about, after immediate survival is taken care of, is "Toilet flushing water". Which most certainly does NOT have to be of drinking water purity.

Kerosene heaters are fantastic, too. I live where we face the same stuff as you do. I did without electricity for 3 weeks back in the 90s.

Ex Member
    Get some antibiotics, thousands of places online sell them. Also a water filter pitcher and some purifier pills. You can strain and treat lake water.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Get some antibiotics, thousands of places online sell them. Also a water filter pitcher and some purifier pills. You can strain and treat lake water.

Also note many Veterinarian medication are the same as the Human ones esp for Antibiotic but they are over the counter versus prescription for the Human ones.. Ie a lot of the fish antibiotics are the same power and strength as what a doc would prescpie...

Again this may be risky and is very last ditch but good to know what is what ..

Also to add maybe have a doctor make a list of good medication to have on hand if it hits the fan so you can "find " them before it get really bad ... If sthf antibiotics and basic medications will be worth a lot...

Also get a basic medical kit could be great esp for some wounds ...Heck some place sell close to full field surgical kits ( minus any controlled medication...)
    StormRhydr, Aceoky and Kavalander like this.

I don't think any of you are wrong about the possibility of a bigger problem. This is really just sort-of my first step into preparation, and I figured the odds right now are the situations that I described. I plan to keep adding but like I said, I've got the LDS prep manual and it's unreal. At the moment, I'm not interested in following that plan. Self defense, shelter, food, water source, heat, and the ability to cook seem to be what a person needs to survive on a basic level.

You all have given me valuable suggestions, like medical supplies, toiletries, alternate power sources (I like the solar idea but I had the same concerns as the person who mentioned it), and some others. Please keep them coming.

I don't have any rifles. I've done some AR15 shooting and it wasn't as exciting as I'd expected. I'll keep it in mind though. I've been wanting a. Marlin lever action 30-30 but 6 rounds isn't much.

I think I do need large quantities of sugar, salt and flour. The problem is that we don't use enough of that stuff to rotate it out regularly. I've got rice and it keeps forever but I need some buckets to store it and the other stuff. They also sell cheap spices at dollar stores too so those would be good to store.
    I noticed the fish antibiotics at the fish store just last weekend. I'm allergic to the one I saw..lol. We save all leftover prescriptions in a safe just in case. I'm also epileptic, and if we lost insurance (not likely with two options) the list price is $1,400 for 90 days worth. Luckily, it probably isn't a real high demand medication and could be found even in a pharmacy that had been looted. But, due to some shipping confusion with Medco last year related to the generic I have about 9 months supply at any given time. They don't take returns so it worked out well for me in an emergency. There are several meds I could take though in a pinch. No one else at home is on regular meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links